1. Morrill, HJ, Caffrey, AR, Jump, RL, et al. Antimicrobial stewardship in long-term care facilities: a call to action. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2016;17:183 e1–16. doi: 10.1016/j.jamda.2015.11.013.
2. Nicolle, LE, Bentley, DW, Garibaldi, R, et al. Antimicrobial use in long-term-care facilities. SHEA Long-Term-Care Committee. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2000;21:537–545.
3. Brown, KA, Jones, M, Daneman, N, et al. Importation, antibiotics, and Clostridium difficile infection in veteran long-term care: a multilevel case-control study. Ann Intern Med 2016;164:787–794.
4. Daneman, N, Gruneir, A, Bronskill, SE, et al. Prolonged antibiotic treatment in long-term care: role of the prescriber. JAMA Intern Med 2013;173:673–682.
5. Laffan, AM, Bellantoni, MF, Greenough, WB 3rd, et al. Burden of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea in a long-term care facility. J Am Geriatr Soc 2006;54:1068–1073.
6. Pawar, D, Tsay, R, Nelson, DS, et al. Burden of Clostridium difficile infection in long-term care facilities in Monroe County, New York. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2012;33:1107–1112.
7. Stone, ND, Lewis, DR, Johnson, TM 2nd, et al. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) nasal carriage in residents of Veterans Affairs long-term care facilities: role of antimicrobial exposure and MRSA acquisition. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2012;33:551–557.
8. van Buul, LW, van der Steen, JT, Veenhuizen, RB, et al. Antibiotic use and resistance in long-term care facilities. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2012;13:568 e561–513.
10. Burke, RE, Whitfield, EA, Hittle, D, et al. Hospital readmission from post-acute care facilities: risk factors, timing, and outcomes. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2016;17:249–255.
12. Ouslander, JG, Lamb, G, Perloe, M, et al. Potentially avoidable hospitalizations of nursing home residents: frequency, causes, and costs. J Am Geriatr Soc 2010;58:627–635.
13. Lapane, KL, Dube, CE, Pakyz, AL. Entangled practices, entangled epidemics: antibiotic practices and healthcare associated infections in nursing homes and hospitals. J Nursing Home Res 2016;2:21–26.
14. Carter, RR, Montpetite, MM, Jump, RLP. Mixed-methods pilot study to assess perceptions of antimicrobial stewardship in nursing homes. J Am Geriatr Soc 2017;65:1073–1078.
15. Davey, P, Marwick, CA, Scott, CL, et al. Interventions to improve antibiotic prescribing practices for hospital inpatients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2017;2:CD003543.
16. Dizon, ML, Zaltsmann, R, Reinking, C. Partnerships in transitions: acute care to skilled nursing facility. Prof Case Manag 2017;22:163–173.
17. Fleming, A, Bradley, C, Cullinan, S, et al. Antibiotic prescribing in long-term care facilities: a qualitative, multidisciplinary investigation. BMJ Open 2014;4:e006442. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2014-006442.
18. Petigara, S, Krishnamurthy, M, Livert, D. Necessity is the mother of invention: an innovative hospitalist-resident initiative for improving quality and reducing readmissions from skilled nursing facilities. J Community Hosp Intern Med Perspect 2017;7:66–69.
19. Vasilevskis, EE, Ouslander, JG, Mixon, AS, et al. Potentially avoidable readmissions of patients discharged to post-acute care: perspectives of hospital and skilled nursing facility staff. J Am Geriatr Soc 2017;65:269–276.
20. Furuno, JP, Noble, BN, Horne, KN, et al. Frequency of outpatient antibiotic prescription on discharge to hospice care. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2014;58:5473–5477.
21. Kowalewska, CA, Noble, BN, Fromme, EK, et al. Prevalence and clinical intentions of antithrombotic therapy on discharge to hospice care. J Palliat Med 2017;20:1225–1230.
22. Servid, SA, Noble, BN, Fromme, EK, et al. Clinical intentions of antibiotics prescribed upon discharge to hospice care. J Am Geriatr Soc 2018;66:565–569.
23. Richards, CL Jr, Darradji, M, Weinberg, A, et al. Antimicrobial use in post-acute care: a retrospective descriptive analysis in seven long-term care facilities in Georgia. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2005;6:109–112.
24. Scarpato, SJ, Timko, DR, Cluzet, VC, et al. An evaluation of antibiotic prescribing practices upon hospital discharge. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2017;38:353–355.
25. Kwan, JL, Lo, L, Sampson, M, et al. Medication reconciliation during transitions of care as a patient safety strategy: a systematic review. Ann Intern Med 2013;158:397–403.
26. Mor, V, Intrator, O, Feng, Z, et al. The revolving door of rehospitalization from skilled nursing facilities. Health Aff (Millwood) 2010;29:57–64.
27. Finucane, TE. Urinary tract infection—requiem for a heavyweight. J Am Geriatr Soc 2017;65:1650–1655.
28. Emerson, CB, Eyzaguirre, LM, Albrecht, JS, et al. Healthcare-associated infection and hospital readmission. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2012;33:539–544.