1. Fraser, DW, et al. Legionnaires' disease: description of an epidemic of pneumonia. New England Journal of Medicine 1977; 297: 1189–1197.
2. Darelid, J, et al. An outbreak of Legionnaires' disease in a Swedish hospital. Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases 1994; 26: 417–425.
3. Den Boer, JW, et al. A large outbreak of Legionnaires' disease at a flower show, the Netherlands, 1999. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2002; 8: 37–43.
4. Garcia-Fulgueiras, A, et al. Legionnaires' disease outbreak in Murcia, Spain. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2003; 9: 915–921.
5. Yu, VL. Could aspiration be the major mode of transmission for Legionella ? American Journal of Medicine 1993; 95: 13–15.
6. Ricketts, KD, Joseph, CA. Legionnaires' disease in Europe 2003–2004. Eurosurveillance 2005; 10: 256–259.
8. Anon. National increase in cases of legionnaires' disease. CDR Weekly 2006; 16(37).
9. Laurance, J. Climate change blamed for legionnaires' disease surge. The Independent, 18 October 2006.
10. Fisman, DN, et al. It's not the heat, it's the humidity: Wet weather increases Legionellosis risk in the Greater Philadelphia Metropolitan Area. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2005; 192: 2066–2073.
11. Hicks, LA, et al. Increased rainfall is associated with increased risk for legionellosis. Epidemiology and Infection 2007; 135: 811–817.
12. European Working Group for Legionella Infections. European Guidelines for Control and Prevention of Travel Associated Legoinnaires' disease, 2002. PHLS London and (www.ewgli.org). Accessed 30 October 2008.
13. Dunklin, EW, Puck, TT. The lethal effect of relative humidity on air-borne bacteria. Journal of Experimental Medicine 1948; 87: 97–101.
14. Hambleton, P, et al. Survival of virulent Legionella pneumophila in aerosols. Journal of Hygiene (Cambridge) 1983; 90: 451–460.
15. Dennis, PJ, Lee, JV. Differences in aerosol survival between pathogenic and non-pathogenic strains of Legionella pneumophila serogroup 1. Journal of Applied Bacteriology 1988; 65: 135–141.
16. Berendt, RF. Survival of Legionella pneumophila in aerosols: effect of relative humidity. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1980; 141: 689.
22. May, KR, Druett, HA, Pachman, LP. Toxicity of open air to a variety of microorganisms. Nature 1969; 221: 1146–1147.
23. Harrison, TG, et al. Comparison of clinical and environmental isolates of Legionella pneumophila obtained in the UK over 19 years. Clinical Microbiology and Infection 2007; 13: 78–85.