1. Bishop, GC, et al. Guide for the medical, veterinary and allied professions. Pretoria: Rabies Advisory Group, 2003; Government Printer (2nd printing).
2. Swanepoel, R. Rabies. In: Coetzer, JAW, Tustin, RC eds. Infectious Diseases of Livestock with Special Reference to Southern Africa. Cape Town, South Africa: Oxford University Press 2004, pp. 1123–1182.
3. Coetzee, P, Nel, LH. Emerging epidemic dog rabies in coastal South Africa: a molecular epidemiological analysis. Virus Research 2007; 126: 186–195.
4. Sabeta, CT, Bingham, J, Nel, LH. Molecular epidemiology of canid rabies in Zimbabwe and South Africa. Virus Research 2004; 91: 203–211.
5. Nel, LH, et al. Mongoose rabies in southern Africa: a re-evaluation based on molecular epidemiology. Virus Research 2005; 109: 165–173.
6. Anon. National Institute for Communicable Diseases, Annual Report. Virology – Special Pathogens Unit, Rabies, 2002, pp. 76–77 (http://www.nicd.ac.za/#). Accessed 15 August 2007. 7. Anon. National Institute for Communicable Diseases, Annual Report. Virology – Special Pathogens Unit, Rabies, 2003, p. 61 (http://www.nicd.ac.za/#). Accessed 15 August 2007.
8. Kumar, S, Tamura, K, Nei, M. MEGA3: integrated software for Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis and sequence alignment. Briefings in Bioinformatics 2004; 5: 150–163.
9. Fooks, AR, et al. Risk factors associated with travel to rabies endemic countries. Journal of Applied Microbiology 2003; 94: 1–6.
10. Smith, J, et al. Case report: Rapid ante mortem diagnosis of a case of human rabies imported into the UK from the Philippines. Journal of Medical Virology 2003; 69: 150–155.
11. Messenger, SL, Smith, JS, Rupprecht, CE. Emerging epidemiology of bat-associated cryptic cases of rabies in humans in the United States. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2002; 35: 738–747.
12. Nel, LH, et al. New cases of Mokola virus infection in South Africa: a genotypic comparison of southern African isolates. Virus Genes 2000; 20: 2, 103–106.
13. Markotter, W, et al. Isolation of Lagos Bat Virus from water mongoose. Emerging Infectious Disease 2006; 12: 1193–1918.
14. Paweska, J, Leman, P, Blumberg, L. Rabies in South Africa, 2006. Sandringham, South Africa: National Institute for Communicable Diseases, 2007; Communicable Diseases Surveillance Bulletin 7 (vol. 5, no 1).