2. Coll, F et al. (2018) Genome-wide analysis of multi- and extensively drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Nature Genetics 50, 307–316.
3. Dheda, K et al. (2014) Global control of tuberculosis, from extensively drug-resistant to untreatable tuberculosis. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine 2, 321–338.
4. Uplekar, M et al. (2015) WHO's new End TB Strategy. The Lancet 385, 1799–1801.
5. Schaaf, HS et al. (2010) Tuberculosis at extremes of age. Respirology 15, 747–763.
6. Negin, J, Abimbola, S and Marais, BJ (2015) Tuberculosis among older adults – time to take notice. International Journal of Infectious Diseases 32, 135–137.
7. Pratt, RH et al. (2011) Tuberculosis in older adults in the United States, 1993–2008. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 59, 851–857.
8. Martens, WH (2001) A review of physical and mental health in homeless persons. Public Health Reviews 29, 13–33.
9. Dara, M et al. (2012) Minimum package for cross-border TB control and care in the WHO European region: a Wolfheze consensus statement. European Respiratory Journal 40, 1081–1090.
10. Greenaway, C et al. (2011) Tuberculosis: evidence review for newly arriving immigrants and refugees. Canadian Medical Association Journal 183, E939–E951.
11. Lönnroth, K et al. (2015) Towards tuberculosis elimination: an action framework for low-incidence countries. European Respiratory Journal 45, 928–952.
12. Raviglione, MC, Narain, JP and Kochi, A (1992) HIV-associated tuberculosis in developing countries: clinical features, diagnosis, and treatment. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 70, 515–526.
13. Nathanson, E et al. (2010) MDR tuberculosis – critical steps for prevention and control. New England Journal of Medicine 363, 1050–1058.
14. Lönnroth, K, Roglic, G and Harries, AD (2014) Improving tuberculosis prevention and care through addressing the global diabetes epidemic: from evidence to policy and practice. The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology 2, 730–739.
15. van Crevel, R, Dockrell, HM and TANDEM Consortium (2014) TANDEM: understanding diabetes and tuberculosis. The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology 2, 270–272.
16. Kyu, HH et al. (2018) The global burden of tuberculosis: results from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 18, 261–284.
18. Kawatsu, L et al. (2016) Profile of tuberculosis among the foreign-born population in Japan, 2007–2014. Western Pacific Surveillance and Response Journal 7, 7–16.
19. Lönnroth, K and Raviglione, M (2016) The WHO's new End TB Strategy in the post-2015 era of the Sustainable Development Goals. Transactions of The Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 110, 148–150.
24. Llorca, J et al. (2012) Mortality from tuberculosis in Spain, 1971 to 2007: slow decrease in female and in elderly patients. Annals of Epidemiology 22, 474–479.
25. Korenromp, EL et al. (2009) The measurement and estimation of tuberculosis mortality. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 13, 283–303.
26. Lu, TH et al. (2005) Tuberculosis mortality trends in Taiwan: a resurgence of non-respiratory tuberculosis. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 9, 105–110.
27. Kim, HJ et al. (2000) Permutation tests for joinpoint regression with applications to cancer rates. Statistics in Medicine 19, 335–351.
28. Murray, CJL et al. (2014) Global, regional, and national incidence and mortality for HIV, tuberculosis, and malaria during 1990–2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. The Lancet 384, 1005–1070.
29. Kawatsu, L, Uchimura, K and Ohkado, A (2017) Trend and treatment status of latent tuberculosis infection patients in Japan – analysis of Japan TB Surveillance data. PLoS ONE 12, e0186588.
30. Uchimura, K et al. (2013) Characteristics and treatment outcomes of tuberculosis cases by risk groups, Japan, 2007–2010. Western Pacific Surveillance and Response Journal 4, 11–18.
31. Izumi, K et al. (2017) Evaluation of tuberculosis contact investigations in Japan. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 21, 188–195.
32. Menezes, AMB et al. (2007) Tuberculosis and airflow obstruction: evidence from the PLATINO study in Latin America. European Respiratory Journal 30, 1180–1185.
33. Abuaku, B et al. (2010) Treatment default and death among tuberculosis patients in Hunan, China. Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases 42, 281–287.
35. Riza, AL et al. (2014) Clinical management of concurrent diabetes and tuberculosis and the implications for patient services. The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology 2, 740–753.
36. Storla, DG, Yimer, S and Bjune, GA (2008) A systematic review of delay in the diagnosis and treatment of tuberculosis. BMC Public Health 8, 15.
37. Bhushan, B et al. (2012) Manifestations of tuberculosis in elderly versus young hospitalised patients in Amritsar, India. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 16, 1210–1213.
38. Pérez-Guzmán, C et al. (1999) Does aging modify pulmonary tuberculosis? A meta-analytical review. Chest 116, 961–967.
39. Ahuja, SD et al. (2012) Multidrug resistant pulmonary tuberculosis treatment regimens and patient outcomes: an individual patient data meta-analysis of 9,153 patients. PLoS Medicine 9, e1001300.
40. Velayutham, BRV et al. (2014) Profile and response to anti-tuberculosis treatment among elderly tuberculosis patients treated under the TB Control programme in South India. PLoS ONE 9, e88045.
41. Raviglione, MC et al. (1993) Secular trends of tuberculosis in Western Europe. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 71, 297–306.