2. Burkle, F, Martone, G, Greenough, PG. The changing face of humanitarian assistance. Brown J World Aff. 2014 Spring/Summer XX(1):25-42.
3. Spiegel, PB. The humanitarian system is not just broke, but broken: recommendations for future humanitarian action. Lancet. 2017 Jun 7; pii: S0140-6736(17)31278-3.
4. Hawkins, V, Pérache, AH. Humanitarian medicine is more than a technical exercise. Lancet. 2017 Jun 7; pii: S0140-6736(17)31352-1.
7. Definitions: what’s the difference between intrastate, interstate & extrastate???. Miss World Security, 26 September 2012. file:///C:/Users/SKIP/Desktop/Definitions What’s the difference between Intrastate, Interstate & Extrastate. Miss World Security.htm. Accessed October 1, 2017.
13. Salama, P, Spiegel, P, Talley, L, Waldman, R. Lessons learned from complex emergencies over past decade. Lancet. 2004 Nov 13-19;364(9447):1801-1813.
14. Abiew, FK, Keating, T. NGOs and UN peacekeeping operations: strange bedfellows. Int Peacekeeping. 1999 June; 6(2):89-111.
15. Brown, RE. Mission to Biafra (January 1969): a study and survey of a population under stress.
Clin Pediatr (Phila). 1969 June;8;(6):313-321.
16. Enuka, C. Post-Cold War conflicts: imperative for armed intervention [version 1.0]. Glob J Hum Soc Sci Interdiscip. 2012;12(9):16-26.
17. Garfield, RM, Polonsky, J, Burkle, FM Jr. Changes in size of populations and level of conflict since World War II: implications for health and health services. Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2012 Oct; 6(3):241-246.
20. Burkle, F Jr, Garfield, R. Civilian mortality after the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Lancet. 2013 Mar 16;381(9870):877-879.
22. Burkle, FM. Triage and the lost art of decoding vital signs: restoring physiologically based triage skills in complex humanitarian emergencies. Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2017 Apr 21:1-10.
23. Burkle, FM Jr, Erickson, T, von Schreeb, J, et al. The solidarity and health neutrality of physicians in war & peace. PLoS Curr. 2017 Jan 20;9:699-700.
26. Security Council adopts Resolution 2286. 2016; strongly condemning attacks against medical facilities, personnel in conflict situations. United Nations Security Council 7685th Meeting, SC 12347; May 3, 2016; New York.
28. Serle, J, Fleck, F. Keeping health workers and facilities safe in war. Bull World Health Organ. 2012 Jan 1;90(1):8-9.
30. How is IHL relevant in modern humanitarian contexts? Paper presented at: International Committee of the Red Cross & Medecins sans Frontieres Symposium; October 14, 2015; Canberra, Australia.
31. Coupland, R. Security of health care and global health. N Engl J Med. 2013 March 21;368:1075-1076.
32. Coupland, R. Security, insecurity and health. Bull World Health Organ. 2007;85:181-184.
35. Childers, R, Parker, P. In a stable battlefield, avoid using austere surgical units to meet the golden hour of trauma time to care goal. Injury. 2017 Sep 1; pii: S0020-1383(17)30567-3.
39. How does law protect in war? ICRC, IHL and the challenges of contemporary armed conflicts. Online Casebook. Conference of the Red Cross and Red Crescent, 2-9 December 2003. https://casebook.icrc.org. Accessed October 12, 2017.