1. Greenfeld, LA, Rand, MR, Craven, D et al. , Violence by Intimates: Analysis of Data on Crimes by Current or Former Spouses, Boyfriends, and Girlfriends. Washington, DC: US Department of Justice; 1998.
2. Rand, MR. Violence-related Injuries Treated in Hospital Emergency Departments. Bureau of Justice Statistics, Special Report. Washington, DC: US Department of Justice; 1997.
3. Janoff-Bulman, R. Victims of violence. In: Fisher, S, Reason, J, eds. Handbook of Life Stress, Cognition and Health. Chichester, England: John Wiley & Sons; 1998:101–113.
4. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 4th ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association; 1994.
5. Astin, MC, Lawrence, KJ, Foy, DW. Posttraumatic stress disorder among nattered women: risk and resiliency factors. Violence Vict. 1993;8:17–29.
6. Cascardi, M, O'Leary, KD, Schlee, KA. Co-occurrence and correlates of posttraumatic stress disorder and major depression in physically abused women. J Fam Viol. 1999;14:227–249.
7. Houskamp, BM, Foy, DW. The assessment of posttraumatic stress disorder in battered women. J Interpers Viol. 1991;6:367–375.
8. Kemp, A, Rawlings, EI, Green, BL. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in battered women: a shelter sample. J Trauma Stress. 1991;4:137–148.
9. Goldstein, G, van Kammen, W, Shelly, C, Miller, DJ, van Kammen, DP. Survivors of imprisonment in the Pacific theater during world war II. Am J Psychiatry. 1987;144:1210–1213.
10. Sutker, PB, Vasterling, JJ, Brailey, K, Allain, AN. Memory, attention, and executive deficits in POW survivors: contributing biological and psychological factors. Neuropsychology. 1995;9:118–125.
11. Branca, B, Giordani, B, Lutz, T, Saper, JR. Self-report of cognition and objective test performance in posttraumatic headache. Headache. 1996;36:300–306.
12. Gass, CS, Apple, C. Cognitive complaints in closed-head injury: relationship to memory test performance and emotional disturbance. J Clin Exp Neuropsychol. 1997;19:290–299.
13. Santos, ME, Castro-Caldas, A, De Sousa, L. Spontaneous complaints of long-term traumatic brain injured subjects and their close relatives. Brain Inj. 1998;12:759–767.
14. Sbordone, RJ, Seyranian, GD, Ruff, RM. Are the subjective complaints of traumatically brain injured patients reliable? Brain Inj. 1998;12:505–515.
15. Schmand, B, Jonker, C, Geerlings, MI, Lindeboom, J. Subjective memory complaints in the elderly: depressive symptoms and future dementia. Br J Psychiatry. 1997;171:373–376.
16. Schofield, PW, Jacobs, D, Marder, K, Sano, M, Stern, Y. The validity of new memory complaints in the elderly. Arch Neurol. 1997;54:756–759.
17. Schofield, PW, Marder, K, Dooneief, G, Jacobs, DM, Sano, M, Stern, Y. Association of subjective memory complaints with subsequent cognitive decline in community-dwelling elderly individuals with baseline cognitive impairment. Am J Psychiatry. 1997;154:609–615.
18. McNair, DM, Kahn, RJ. Self-assessment of cognitive deficits. In: Crook, T, Ferris, S, Bartus, R, eds. Assessment in Geriatric Psychopharmacology. New Canaan, Conn: Mark Powley; 1983:137–143.
19. Derouesne, C, Dealberto, MJ, Boyer, P et al. , Empirical evaluation of the Cognitive Difficulties Scale for assessment of memory complaints in general practice: a study of 1628 cognitively normal subjects aged 45–75 years. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 1993;8:599–607.
20. Bremner, JD, Scott, TM, Delaney, RC et al. , Deficits in short-term memory in posttraumatic stress disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 1993;150:1015–1019.
21. Gilbertson, MW, Gurvits, TV, Lasko, NB, Pitman, RK. Neuropsychological assessment of Vietnam combat veterans with and without PTSD. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1997;821:476–479.
22. Gurvits, TG, Gilbertson, MW, Lasko, NB et al. , Neurologic soft signs in chronic posttraumatic stress disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2000;57:181–186.
23. Jenkins, MA, Langlais, PJ, Delis, D, Cohen, R. Learning and memory in rape victims with posttraumatic stress disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 1998;155:278–279.
24. Jenkins, MA, Langlais, PJ, Delis, D, Cohen, RA. Attentional dysfunction associated with posttraumatic stress disorder among rape survivors. Clin Neuropsychol. 2000;14:7–12.
25. Uddo, MM, Vasterling, JJ, Brailey, K, Sutker, PB. Memory and attention in posttraumatic stress disorder. J Psychopathol Behav Assess. 1993;15:43–52.
26. Vasterling, JJ, Brailey, K, Constans, JI, Sutker, PB. Attention and memory dysfunction in posttraumatic stress disorder. Neuropsychology. 1998;12:125–133.
27. McLellan, AT, Kushner, H, Metzger, D et al. , The fifth edition of the Addiction Severity Index. J Subst Abuse Treat. 1992;9:199–213.
28. Hollingshead, AB. Four factor index of social status. Paper presented at: Yale University;1975;New Haven, Conn.
29. Blake, DD, Weathers, FW, Nagy, LM et al. , The development of a clinician-administered PTSD scale. J Trauma Stress. 1995;8:75–90.
30. First, MB, Spitzer, RL, Gibbon, M, Williams, JBW. Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV Axis I Disorders—Clinician Version (SCID-1). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press; 1997.
31. Weiss, DS, Marmar, CR. The Impact of Events Scale—Revised. In: Wilson, JP, Keane, TM, eds. Assessing Psychological Trauma and PTSD. New York, NY: Guilford Press; 1997:577–591.
32. King, LA, King, DW, Leskin, G, Foy, DW. The Los Angeles Symptom Checklist: a self-report measure of posttraumatic stress disorder. Assessment. 1995;2:1–17.
33. Southwick, SM, Yehuda, R, Giller, ELJ. Characterization of depression in war-related postttraumatic stress disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 1991;148:179–183.
34. Radloff, LS. The CES-D scale: a self-report depression scale for research in the general population. Psychol Meas. 1977;1:385–401.
35. Straus, M, Hamby, SL, Boney-McCoy, SB, Sugarman, DB. The Revised Conflict Tactics Scales (CTS-2): development and preliminary psychometric data. J Fam Issues. 1996;17:283–316.
36. Shalev, AY, Freedman, S, Peri, T et al. , Prospective study of posttraumatic stress disorder and depression following trauma. Am J Psychiatry. 1998;155:630–637.
37. Golding, JM. Intimate partner violence as a risk factor for mental disorders: a meta-analysis. J Fam Viol. 1999;14:99–132.
38. Saigh, PA, Mroweh, M, Bremner, JD. Scholastic impairment among traumatized adolescents. Behav Res Ther. 1997;35:429–436.