1. Rotz, SJ, Ryan, TD, Jodele, S, et al. The injured heart: early cardiac effects of hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in children and young adults. Bone Marrow Transplant 2017; 52: 1171–1179.10.1038/bmt.2017.62
2. Pfeiffer, TM, Rotz, SJ, Ryan, TD, et al. Pericardial effusion requiring surgical intervention after stem cell transplantation: a case series. Bone Marrow Transplant 2017; 52: 630–633.
3. Dandoy, CE, Jodele, S, Paff, Z, et al. Team-based approach to identify cardiac toxicity in critically ill hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipients. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2017; 64: e26513.10.1002/pbc.26513
4. Dandoy, CE, Davies, SM, Hirsch, R, et al. Abnormal echocardiography 7 days after stem cell transplantation may be an early indicator of thrombotic microangiopathy. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2015; 21: 113–118.
5. Murdych, T, Weisdorf, DJ. Serious cardiac complications during bone marrow transplantation at the University of Minnesota, 1977-1997. Bone Marrow Transplant 2001; 28: 283–287.
6. Rotz, SJ, Ryan, TD, Hlavaty, J, George, SA, El-Bietar, J, Dandoy, CE. Cardiotoxicity and cardiomyopathy in children and young adult survivors of hematopoietic stem cell transplant. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2017; 64: e26600.
7. Rotz, SJ, Dandoy, CE, Taylor, MD, et al. Long-term systolic function in children and young adults after hematopoietic stem cell transplant. Bone Marrow Transplant 2017; 52: 1443–1447.
8. Genberg, M, Oberg, A, Andren, B, Hedenstrom, H, Frisk, P, Flachskampf, FA. Cardiac function after hematopoietic cell transplantation: an echocardiographic cross-sectional study in young adults treated in childhood. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2015; 62: 143–147.10.1002/pbc.25135
9. Kunkele, A, Engelhard, M, Hauffa, BP, et al. Long-term follow-up of pediatric patients receiving total body irradiation before hematopoietic stem cell transplantation and post-transplant survival of >2 years. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2013; 60: 1792–1797.
10. Uderzo, C, Pillon, M, Corti, P, et al. Impact of cumulative anthracycline dose, preparative regimen and chronic graft-versus-host disease on pulmonary and cardiac function in children 5 years after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: a prospective evaluation on behalf of the EBMT Pediatric Diseases and Late Effects Working Parties. Bone Marrow Transplant 2007; 39: 667–675.
11. Thavendiranathan, P, Poulin, F, Lim, KD, Plana, JC, Woo, A, Marwick, TH. Use of myocardial strain imaging by echocardiography for the early detection of cardiotoxicity in patients during and after cancer chemotherapy: a systematic review. J Am Coll Cardiol 2014; 63: 2751–2768.
12. Hare, JL, Brown, JK, Leano, R, Jenkins, C, Woodward, N, Marwick, TH. Use of myocardial deformation imaging to detect preclinical myocardial dysfunction before conventional measures in patients undergoing breast cancer treatment with trastuzumab. Am Heart J 2009; 158: 294–301.
13. Sawaya, H, Sebag, IA, Plana, JC, et al. Assessment of echocardiography and biomarkers for the extended prediction of cardiotoxicity in patients treated with anthracyclines, taxanes, and trastuzumab. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging 2012; 5: 596–603.
14. Covi, S, Ravindranath, Y, Farooqi, A, Savasan, S, Chu, R, Aggarwal, S. Changes in bi-ventricular function after hematopoietic stem cell transplant as assessed by speckle tracking echocardiography. Pediatr Cardiol. 2017.
15. Chow, EJ, Anderson, L, Baker, KS, et al. Late effects surveillance recommendations among survivors of childhood hematopoietic cell transplantation: a Children’s Oncology Group report. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2016; 22: 782–795.
16. DeFilipp, Z, Duarte, RF, Snowden, JA, et al. Metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease after hematopoietic cell transplantation: screening and preventive practice recommendations from the CIBMTR and EBMT. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2016; 22: 1493–1503.
17. Braunlin, EA, Stauffer, NR, Peters, CH, et al. Usefulness of bone marrow transplantation in the Hurler syndrome. Am J Cardiol 2003; 92: 882–886.
18. Mariotti, E, Agostini, A, Angelucci, E, Lucarelli, G, Sgarbi, E, Picano, E. Reduced left ventricular contractile reserve identified by low dose dobutamine echocardiography as an early marker of cardiac involvement in asymptomatic patients with thalassemia major. Echocardiography 1996; 13: 463–472.
19. Niss, O, Fleck, R, Makue, F, et al. Association between diffuse myocardial fibrosis and diastolic dysfunction in sickle cell anemia. Blood 2017; 130: 205–213.
20. Rai, P, Niss, O, Malik, P. A reappraisal of the mechanisms underlying the cardiac complications of sickle cell anemia. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2017; 64: e26607.
21. Ryan, TD, Jefferies, JL, Chin, C, et al. Abnormal circumferential strain measured by echocardiography is present in patients with Shwachman–Diamond syndrome despite normal shortening fraction. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2015; 62: 1228–1231.
22. Toiviainen-Salo, S, Pitkanen, O, Holmstrom, M, et al. Myocardial function in patients with Shwachman–Diamond syndrome: aspects to consider before stem cell transplantation. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2008; 51: 461–467.
23. Lai, WW, Mertens, L, Cohen, M, Geva, T. Echocardiography in pediatric and congenital heart disease from fetus to adult. Chichester, West Sussex; Hoboken, NJ: Wiley Blackwell/John Wiley & Sons; 2016.
24. Levy, PT, Machefsky, A, Sanchez, AA, et al. Reference ranges of left ventricular strain measures by two-dimensional speckle-tracking echocardiography in children: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2016; 29: 209–225 e206.
25. Lang, RM, Badano, LP, Mor-Avi, V, et al. Recommendations for cardiac chamber quantification by echocardiography in adults: an update from the American Society of Echocardiography and the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging 2015; 16: 233–270.
26. Bennett, CE, Freudenberger, R. The current approach to diagnosis and management of left ventricular noncompaction cardiomyopathy: review of the literature. Cardiol Res Pract. 2016;2016:5172308.
27. Ramjaun, A, AlDuhaiby, E, Ahmed, S, et al. Echocardiographic detection of cardiac dysfunction in childhood cancer survivors: how long is screening required? Pediatr Blood Cancer 2015; 62: 2197–2203.
28. Spewak, MB, Williamson, RS, Mertens, AC, Border, WL, Meacham, LR, Wasilewski-Masker, KJ. Yield of screening echocardiograms during pediatric follow-up in survivors treated with anthracyclines and cardiotoxic radiation. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2017; 64: e26367.10.1002/pbc.26367
29. Mulrooney, DA, Yeazel, MW, Kawashima, T, et al. Cardiac outcomes in a cohort of adult survivors of childhood and adolescent cancer: retrospective analysis of the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study cohort. BMJ 2009; 339: b4606.
30. Ewer, MS, Ewer, SM. Cardiotoxicity of anticancer treatments. Nat Rev Cardiol 2015; 12: 620.
31. Wong, FL, Bhatia, S, Landier, W, et al. Cost-effectiveness of the children’s oncology group long-term follow-up screening guidelines for childhood cancer survivors at risk for treatment-related heart failure. Ann Intern Med 2014; 160: 672–683.10.7326/M13-2498
32. Armstrong, GT, Plana, JC, Zhang, N, et al. Screening adult survivors of childhood cancer for cardiomyopathy: comparison of echocardiography and cardiac magnetic resonance imaging. J Clin Oncol 2012; 30: 2876–2884.
33. Silber, JH, Cnaan, A, Clark, BJ, et al. Enalapril to prevent cardiac function decline in long-term survivors of pediatric cancer exposed to anthracyclines. J Clin Oncol 2004; 22: 820–828.10.1200/JCO.2004.06.022
34. Gulati, G, Heck, SL, Ree, AH, et al. Prevention of cardiac dysfunction during adjuvant breast cancer therapy (PRADA): a 2×2 factorial, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical trial of candesartan and metoprolol. Eur Heart J 2016; 37: 1671–1680.
35. Cardinale, D, Colombo, A, Sandri, MT, et al. Prevention of high-dose chemotherapy-induced cardiotoxicity in high-risk patients by angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition. Circulation. 2006; 114: 2474–2481.10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.106.635144
36. Cardinale, D, Colombo, A, Lamantia, G, et al. Anthracycline-induced cardiomyopathy: clinical relevance and response to pharmacologic therapy. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010; 55: 213–220.