1. Shamsuzzaman, AS, Gersh, BJ, Somers, VK. Obstructive sleep apnea: implications for cardiac and vascular disease. J Am Med Assoc 2003; 290: 1906–1914.
2. Koshino, Y, Satoh, M, Katayose, Y, et al. Association of sleep-disordered breathing and ventricular arrhythmias in patients without heart failure. Am J Cardiol 2008; 101: 882–886.
3. Oldenburg, O, Lamp, B, Faber, L, et al. Sleep-disordered breathing in patients with symptomatic heart failure: a contemporary study of prevalence in and characteristics of 700 patients. Eur J Heart Fail 2007; 9: 251–257.
4. Herold, SE, Young, TW, Ge, D, Snieder, H, Lovrekovic, GZ. Sleep disordered breathing in pediatric patients with tetralogy of Fallot. Pediatr Cardiol 2006; 27: 243–249.
5. Cotts, T, Smith, KR, Lu, J, Dorfman, AL, Norris, MD. Risk for sleep-disordered breathing in adults after atrial switch repairs for d-looped transposition of the great arteries. Pediatr Cardiol 2014; 35: 888–892.
6. Uesugi, T, Kobayashi, T, Hasebe, D, et al. Effects of orthognathic surgery on pharyngeal airway and respiratory function during sleep in patients with mandibular prognathism. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2014; 43: 1082–1090.
7. Satake, H, Sugimura, K, Fukumoto, Y, et al. Effect of respiratory therapy on the prognosis of chronic heart failure patients complicated with sleep-disordered breathing: a pilot efficacy trial. Circ J 2016; 80: 130–138.
8. Chesson, AL Jr., Berry, RB, Pack, A. Practice parameters for the use of portable monitoring devices in the investigation of suspected obstructive sleep apnea in adults. Sleep 2003; 26: 907–913.
9. Medicine AAoS. Sleep-related breathing disorders in adults: recommendations for syndrome definition and measurement techniques in clinical research. Sleep 1999; 22: 667–689.
10. JCS JWG. Guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of sleep disordered breathing in cardiovascular disease (JCS 2010): Digest version. Circ J 2010; 74: 963–1084.
11. Warnes, CA, Williams, RG, Bashore, TM, et al. ACC/AHA 2008 guidelines for the management of adults with congenital heart disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Develop Guidelines on the Management of Adults with Congenital Heart Disease). Developed in Collaboration with the American Society of Echocardiography, Heart Rhythm Society, International Society for Adult Congenital Heart Disease, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, and Society of Thoracic Surgeons. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 52: e143–e263.
12. Marelli, AJ, Mackie, AS, Ionescu-Ittu, R, Rahme, E, Pilote, L. Congenital heart disease in the general population: changing prevalence and age distribution. Circulation 2007; 115: 163–172.
13. Khairy, P, Van Hare, GF, Balaji, S, et al. PACES/HRS expert consensus statement on the recognition and management of arrhythmias in adult congenital heart disease: developed in partnership between the Pediatric and Congenital Electrophysiology Society (PACES) and the Heart Rhythm Society (HRS). Endorsed by the governing bodies of PACES, HRS, the American College of Cardiology (ACC), the American Heart Association (AHA), the European Heart Rhythm Association (EHRA), the Canadian Heart Rhythm Society (CHRS), and the International Society for Adult Congenital Heart Disease (ISACHD). Can J Cardiol 2014; 30: e1–e63.
14. Sin, DD, Fitzgerald, F, Parker, JD, et al. Risk factors for central and obstructive sleep apnea in 450 men and women with congestive heart failure. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999; 160: 1101–1106.
15. Young, T, Palta, M, Dempsey, J, et al. The occurrence of sleep-disordered breathing among middle-aged adults. N Engl J Med 1993; 328: 1230–1235.
16. Shepard, JW Jr., Pevernagie, DA, Stanson, AW, Daniels, BK, Sheedy, PF. Effects of changes in central venous pressure on upper airway size in patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1996; 153: 250–254.
17. Yumino, D, Redolfi, S, Ruttanaumpawan, P, et al. Nocturnal rostral fluid shift: a unifying concept for the pathogenesis of obstructive and central sleep apnea in men with heart failure. Circulation 2010; 121: 1598–1605.
18. Horner, RL, Mohiaddin, RH, Lowell, DG, et al. Sites and sizes of fat deposits around the pharynx in obese patients with obstructive sleep apnoea and weight matched controls. Eur Respir J 1989; 2: 613–622.
19. Mortimore, IL, Marshall, I, Wraith, PK, Sellar, RJ, Douglas, NJ. Neck and total body fat deposition in nonobese and obese patients with sleep apnea compared with that in control subjects. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1998; 157: 280–283.
20. Vazir, A, Hastings, PC, Dayer, M, et al. A high prevalence of sleep disordered breathing in men with mild symptomatic chronic heart failure due to left ventricular systolic dysfunction. Eur J Heart Fail 2007; 9: 243–250.
21. Tkacova, R, Niroumand, M, Lorenzi-Filho, G, Bradley, TD. Overnight shift from obstructive to central apneas in patients with heart failure: role of PCO2 and circulatory delay. Circulation 2001; 103: 238–243.
22. Mortara, A, Sleight, P, Pinna, GD, et al. Association between hemodynamic impairment and Cheyne-Stokes respiration and periodic breathing in chronic stable congestive heart failure secondary to ischemic or idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. Am J Cardiol 1999; 84: 900–904.
23. Lui, GK, Fernandes, S, McElhinney, DB. Management of cardiovascular risk factors in adults with congenital heart disease. J Am Heart Assoc 2014; 3: e001076.
24. Nishihata, Y, Takata, Y, Usui, Y, et al. Continuous positive airway pressure treatment improves cardiovascular outcomes in elderly patients with cardiovascular disease and obstructive sleep apnea. Heart Vessels 2015; 30: 61–69.
25. Kapa, S, Sert Kuniyoshi, FH, Somers, VK. Sleep apnea and hypertension: interactions and implications for management. Hypertension 2008; 51: 605–608.
26. Peppard, PE, Young, T, Palta, M, Skatrud, J. Prospective study of the association between sleep-disordered breathing and hypertension. N Engl J Med 2000; 342: 1378–1384.
27. Somers, VK, Dyken, ME, Clary, MP, Abboud, FM. Sympathetic neural mechanisms in obstructive sleep apnea. J Clin Invest 1995; 96: 1897–1904.
28. El Shayeb, M, Topfer, LA, Stafinski, T, Pawluk, L, Menon, D. Diagnostic accuracy of level 3 portable sleep tests versus level 1 polysomnography for sleep-disordered breathing: a systematic review and meta-analysis. CMAJ 2014; 186: E25–E51.
29. de Vries, GE, van der Wal, HH, Kerstjens, HA, et al. Validity and predictive value of a portable two-channel sleep-screening tool in the Identification of sleep apnea in patients with heart failure. J Card Fail 2015; 21: 848–855.