1. Lipshultz, SE, Sleeper, LA, Towbin, JA, et al. The incidence of pediatric cardiomyopathy in two regions of the United States. N Engl J Med 2003; 348: 1647–1655.10.1056/NEJMoa021715
2. Colan, SD. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in childhood. Heart Fail Clin 2010; 6: 433–444; vii-iii.10.1016/j.hfc.2010.05.004
3. Maron, BJ, Casey, SA, Poliac, LC, Gohman, TE, Almquist, AK, Aeppli, DM. Clinical course of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in a regional United States cohort. J Am Med Assoc 1999; 281: 650–655.10.1001/jama.281.7.650
4. Grenier, MA, Osganian, SK, Cox, GF, et al. Design and implementation of the North American Pediatric Cardiomyopathy Registry. Am Heart J 2000; 139: S86–S95.
5. Nugent, AW, Daubeney, PE, Chondros, P, et al. The epidemiology of childhood cardiomyopathy in Australia. N Engl J Med 2003; 348: 1639–1646.10.1056/NEJMoa021737
6. Hasegawa, K, Tsugawa, Y, Brown, DFM, Camargo, CA. Childhood asthma hospitalizations in the United States, 2000–2009. J Pediatr 2013; 163: 1127–1133.
7. Hasegawa, K, Tsugawa, Y, Brown, DFM, Mansbach, JM, Camargo, CA. Trends in bronchiolitis hospitalizations in the United States, 2000–2009. Pediatrics 2013; 132: 28–36.10.1542/peds.2012-3877
8. Nandi, D, Lin, KY, O’Connor, MJ, et al. Hospital charges for pediatric heart failure-related hospitalizations from 2000 to 2009. Pediatr Cardiol 2016; 37: 512–518.10.1007/s00246-015-1308-0
9. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP). Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Overview of the National (Nationwide) Inpatient Sample (NIS). Rockville, MD, 2015.
10. Muñoz, E, Soldano, R, Laughlin, A, Margolis, IB, Wise, L. Source of admission and cost: public hospitals face financial risk. Am J Public Health 1986; 76: 696–697.10.2105/AJPH.76.6.696
11. Stern, RS, Weissman, JS, Epstein, AM. The emergency department as a pathway to admission for poor and high-cost patients. J Am Med Assoc 1991; 266: 2238–2243.10.1001/jama.1991.03470160070034
12. Baker, LC, Baker, LS. Excess cost of emergency department visits for nonurgent care. Health Aff 1994; 13: 162–171.10.1377/hlthaff.13.5.162
13. Feudtner, C, Hays, RM, Haynes, G, Geyer, JR, Neff, JM, Koepsell, TD. Deaths attributed to pediatric complex chronic conditions: national trends and implications for supportive care services. Pediatrics 2001; 107: e99–103.10.1542/peds.107.6.e99
14. United States Bureau of the Census. Census regions and divisions of the United States, 2015.
15. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP). HCUP NIS Description of Data Elements. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD, 2015.
16. U.S. Department of Commerce United States Census Bureau. Annual Estimates of the Resident Population by Single Year of Age and Sex for the United States: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2013.
17. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP). HCUP NIS Trend Weights. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD, 2015.
18. Colan, SD, Lipshultz, SE, Lowe, AM, et al. Epidemiology and cause-specific outcome of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in children – findings from the Pediatric Cardiomyopathy Registry. Circulation 2007; 115: 773–781.10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.106.621185
19. Lipshultz, SE, Orav, EJ, Wilkinson, JD, et al. Risk stratification at diagnosis for children with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: an analysis of data from the Pediatric Cardiomyopathy Registry. Lancet 2013; 382: 1889–1897.
20. Nugent, AW, Daubeney, PEF, Chondros, P, et al. Clinical features and outcomes of childhood hypertrophic cardiomyopathy – results from a national population-based study. Circulation 2005; 112: 1332–1338.10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.104.530303
21. Gersh, BJ, Maron, BJ, Bonow, RO, et al. 2011 ACCF/AHA guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: executive summary. A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 2011; 58: 2703–2738.
22. Gersh, BJ, Maron, BJ, Bonow, RO, et al. 2011 ACCF/AHA guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 2011; 58: E212–E260.10.1016/j.jacc.2011.06.011
23. Ostman-Smith, I, Wettrell, G, Keeton, B, et al. Age- and gender-specific mortality rates in childhood hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Eur Heart J 2008; 29: 1160–1167.10.1093/eurheartj/ehn122
24. Isobe, N, Toyama, T, Taniguchi, K, et al. Failure to raise blood pressure during exercise is a poor prognostic sign in patients with hypertrophic non-obstructive cardiomyopathy. Circ J 2003; 67: 191–194.10.1253/circj.67.191
25. Spirito, P, Bellone, P, Harris, KM, Bernabo, P, Bruzzi, P, Maron, BJ. Magnitude of left ventricular hypertrophy and risk of sudden death in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. N Engl J Med 2000; 342: 1778–1785.10.1056/NEJM200006153422403
26. Becton, JL, Cheng, L, Nieman, LZ. The effect of lack of insurance, poverty and paediatrician supply on immunization rates among children 19–35 months of age in the United States. J Eval Clin Pract 2008; 14: 248–253.10.1111/j.1365-2753.2007.00841.x
27. Marsh, JD, Lehmann, MH, Ritchie, RH, Gwathmey, JK, Green, GE, Schiebinger, RJ. Androgen receptors mediate hypertrophy in cardiac myocytes. Circulation 1998; 98: 256–261.10.1161/01.CIR.98.3.256
28. Maron, BJ, Haas, TS, Ahluwalia, A, Murphy, CJ, Garberich, RF. Demographics and epidemiology of sudden deaths in young competitive athletes: from the United States National Registry. Am J Med 2016; 129: 1170–1177.10.1016/j.amjmed.2016.02.031
29. Lind, JM, Chiu, C, Ingles, J, et al. Sex hormone receptor gene variation associated with phenotype in male hypertrophic cardiomyopathy patients. J Mol Cell Cardiol 2008; 45: 217–222.
30. Maron, BJ, Gardin, JM, Flack, JM, Gidding, SS, Kurosaki, TT, Bild, DE. Prevalence of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in a general population of young adults. Echocardiographic analysis of 4111 subjects in the CARDIA study. Coronary artery risk development in (young) adults. Circulation 1995; 92: 785–789.10.1161/01.CIR.92.4.785
31. Movahed, MR, Strootman, D, Bates, S, Sattur, S. Prevalence of suspected hypertrophic cardiomyopathy or left ventricular hypertrophy based on race and gender in teenagers using screening echocardiography. Cardiovasc Ultrasound 2010; 8: 54.10.1186/1476-7120-8-54
32. Dimick, J, Ruhter, J, Sarrazin, MV, Birkmeyer, JD. Black patients more likely than whites to undergo surgery at low-quality hospitals in segregated regions. Health Aff 2013; 32: 1046–1053.10.1377/hlthaff.2011.1365
33. Bach, PB, Pham, HH, Schrag, D, Tate, RC, Hargraves, JL. Primary care physicians who treat blacks and whites. N Engl J Med 2004; 351: 575–584.10.1056/NEJMsa040609
34. Birkmeyer, JD, Stukel, TA, Siewers, AE, Goodney, PP, Wennberg, DE, Lucas, FL. Surgeon volume and operative mortality in the United States. N Engl J Med 2003; 349: 2117–2127.10.1056/NEJMsa035205
35. Bor, DH, Woolhandler, S, Nardin, R, Brusch, J, Himmelstein, DU. Infective endocarditis in the U.S., 1998–2009: a nationwide study. PLoS One 2013; 8: e60033.10.1371/journal.pone.0060033
36. Pant, S, Patel, NJ, Deshmukh, A, et al. Trends in infective endocarditis incidence, microbiology, and valve replacement in the United States from 2000 to 2011. J Am Coll Cardiol 2015; 65: 2070–2076.10.1016/j.jacc.2015.03.518