1. Werner, H, Latal, B, Valsangiacomo Buechel, E, Beck, I, Landolt, MA. The impact of an infant’s severe congenital heart disease on the family: a prospective cohort study. Congenit Heart Dis 2014; 9: 203–210.
2. Connor, JA, Kline, NE, Mott, S, Harris, SK, Jenkins, KJ. The meaning of cost for families of children with congenital heart disease. J Pediatr Health Care 2010; 24: 318–325.
3. Franck, LS, McQuillan, A, Wray, J, Grocott, MP, Goldman, A. Parent stress levels during children’s hospital recovery after congenital heart surgery. Pediatr Cardiol 2010; 31: 961–968.
4. Jackson, AC, Frydenberg, E, Liang, RP, Higgins, RO, Murphy, BM. Familial impact and coping with child heart disease: a systematic review. Pediatr Cardiol 2015; 36: 695–712.
5. Connor, JA, Gauvreau, K, Jenkins, KJ. Factors associated with increased resource utilization for congenital heart disease. Pediatrics 2005; 116: 689–695.
6. Benavidez, OJ, Connor, JA, Gauvreau, K, Jenkins, KJ. The contribution of complications to high resource utilization during congenital heart surgery admissions. Congenit Heart Dis 2007; 2: 319–326.
7. Pasquali, SK, Sun, JL, d’Almada, P, et al. Center variation in hospital costs for patients undergoing congenital heart surgery. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 2011; 4: 306–312.
8. Pasquali, SK, Gaies, MG, Jacobs, JP, William Gaynor, J, Jacobs, ML. Centre variation in cost and outcomes for congenital heart surgery. Cardiol Young 2012; 22: 796–799.
9. Pasquali, SK, Jacobs, ML, He, X, et al. Variation in congenital heart surgery costs across hospitals. Pediatrics 2014; 133: e553–e560.
10. Raucci, FJ Jr., Hoke, TR, Gutgesell, HP. Predicting economic and medical outcomes based on risk adjustment for congenital heart surgery classification of pediatric cardiovascular surgical admissions. Am J Cardiol 2014; 114: 1740–1744.
11. Romley, JA, Chen, AY, Goldman, DP, Williams, R. Hospital costs and inpatient mortality among children undergoing surgery for congenital heart disease. Health Serv Res 2014; 49: 588–608.
12. Smith, AH, Gay, JC, Patel, NR. Trends in resource utilization associated with the inpatient treatment of neonatal congenital heart disease. Congenit Heart Dis 2014; 9: 96–105.
13. Chan, T, Kim, J, Minich, LL, Pinto, NM, Waitzman, NJ. Surgical volume, hospital quality, and hospitalization cost in congenital heart surgery in the United States. Pediatr Cardiol 2015; 36: 205–213.
14. Faraoni, D, Nasr, VG, DiNardo, JA. Overall hospital cost estimates in children with congenital heart disease: analysis of the 2012 Kid’s Inpatient Database. Pediatr Cardiol 2016; 37: 37–43.
15. Dockerty, JD, Skegg, DC, Williams, SM. Economic effects of childhood cancer on families. J Paediatr Child Health 2003; 39: 254–258.
16. Looman, WS, O’Conner-Von, SK, Ferski, GJ, Hildenbrand, DA. Financial and employment problems in families of children with special health care needs: implications for research and practice. J Pediatr Health Care 2009; 23: 117–125.
17. Newacheck, PW, Houtrow, AJ, Romm, DL, et al. The future of health insurance for children with special health care needs. Pediatrics 2009; 123: e940–e947.
18. Parish, SL, Shattuck, PT, Rose, RA. Financial burden of raising CSHCN: association with state policy choices. Pediatrics 2009; 124 (Suppl 4): S435–S442.
19. Porterfield, SL, DeRigne, L. Medical home and out-of-pocket medical costs for children with special health care needs. Pediatrics 2011; 128: 892–900.
20. Pelletier, W, Bona, K. Assessment of financial burden as a standard of care in pediatric oncology. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2015; 62 (Suppl 5): S619–S631.
21. Thomson, J, Shah, SS, Simmons, JM, et al. Financial and social hardships in families of children with medical complexity. J Pediatr 2016; 172: 187–193.e181.
22. Chen, AY, Newacheck, PW. Insurance coverage and financial burden for families of children with special health care needs. Ambul Pediatr 2006; 6: 204–209.
23. Jeffrey, AE, Newacheck, PW. Role of insurance for children with special health care needs: a synthesis of the evidence. Pediatrics 2006; 118: e1027–e1038.
24. Yu, H, Dick, AW, Szilagyi, PG. Does public insurance provide better financial protection against rising health care costs for families of children with special health care needs? Med Care. 2008; 46: 1064–1070.
25. DeRigne, L. The employment and financial effects on families raising children with special health care needs: an examination of the evidence. J Pediatr Health Care 2012; 26: 283–290.
26. Ghandour, RM, Comeau, M, Tobias, C, et al. Assuring adequate health insurance for children with special health care needs: progress from 2001 to 2009-2010. Acad Pediatr 2015; 15: 451–460.
27. Manning, WG, Basu, A, Mullahy, J. Generalized modeling approaches to risk adjustment of skewed outcomes data. J Health Econ 2005; 24: 465–488.