1. Diller, GP, Dimopoulos, K, Okonko, D, et al. Heart rate response during exercise predicts survival in adults with congenital heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006; 48: 1250–1256.
2. Fredriksen, PM, Veldtman, G, Hechter, S, et al. Aerobic capacity in adults with various congenital heart diseases. Am J Cardiol 2001; 87: 310–314.
3. Hechter, SJ, Webb, G, Fredriksen, PM, et al. Cardiopulmonary exercise performance in adult survivors of the Mustard procedure. Cardiol Young 2001; 11: 407–414.
4. Li, W, Hornung, TS, Francis, DP, et al. Relation of biventricular function quantified by stress echocardiography to cardiopulmonary exercise capacity in adults with Mustard (atrial switch) procedure for transposition of the great arteries. Circulation 2004; 110: 1380–1386.
5. Derrick, GP, Narang, I, White, PA, et al. Failure of stroke volume augmentation during exercise and dobutamine stress is unrelated to load-independent indexes of right ventricular performance after the Mustard operation. Circulation 2000; 102 (Suppl 3): III154–III159.
6. Oechslin, E, Jenni, R. 40 years after the first atrial switch procedure in patients with transposition of the great arteries: long-term results in Toronto and Zurich. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2000; 48: 233–237.
7. Porszasz, J, Casaburi, R, Somfay, A, Woodhouse, LJ, Whipp, BJ. A treadmill ramp protocol using simultaneous changes in speed and grade. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2003; 35: 1596–1603.
8. Jones, NL, Summers, E, Killian, KJ. Influence of age and stature on exercise capacity during incremental cycle ergometry in men and women. Am Rev Respir Dis 1989; 140: 1373–1380.
9. Kindermann, M, Schwaab, B, Finkler, N, Schaller, S, Bohm, M, Frohlig, G. Defining the optimum upper heart rate limit during exercise: a study in pacemaker patients with heart failure. Eur Heart J 2002; 23: 1301–1308.
10. Lissin, LW, Li, W, Murphy, DJ Jr, et al. Comparison of transthoracic echocardiography versus cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging for the assessment of ventricular function in adults after atrial switch procedures for complete transposition of the great arteries. Am J Cardiol 2004; 93: 654–657.
11. Bolger, AP, Sharma, R, Li, W, et al. Neurohormonal activation and the chronic heart failure syndrome in adults with congenital heart disease. Circulation 2002; 106: 92–99.
12. Deanfield, J, Camm, J, Macartney, F, et al. Arrhythmia and late mortality after Mustard and Senning operation for transposition of the great arteries. An eight-year prospective study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1988; 96: 569–576.
13. Hayes, CJ, Gersony, WM. Arrhythmias after the Mustard operation for transposition of the great arteries: a long-term study. J Am Coll Cardiol 1986; 7: 133–137.
14. Lange, R, Horer, J, Kostolny, M, et al. Presence of a ventricular septal defect and the Mustard operation are risk factors for late mortality after the atrial switch operation: thirty years of follow-up in 417 patients at a single center. Circulation 2006; 114: 1905–1913.
15. Connelly, MS, Liu, PP, Williams, WG, Webb, GD, Robertson, P, McLaughlin, PR. Congenitally corrected transposition of the great arteries in the adult: functional status and complications. J Am Coll Cardiol 1996; 27: 1238–1243.
16. Fredriksen, PM, Chen, A, Veldtman, G, Hechter, S, Therrien, J, Webb, G. Exercise capacity in adult patients with congenitally corrected transposition of the great arteries. Heart 2001; 85: 191–195.
17. Hauser, M, Bengel, FM, Hager, A, et al. Impaired myocardial blood flow and coronary flow reserve of the anatomical right systemic ventricle in patients with congenitally corrected transposition of the great arteries. Heart 2003; 89: 1231–1235.
18. Giardini, A, Lovato, L, Donti, A, et al. A pilot study on the effects of carvedilol on right ventricular remodelling and exercise tolerance in patients with systemic right ventricle. Int J Cardiol 2006; 114: 241–246.
19. Duncan, AM, O’Sullivan, CA, Gibson, DG, Henein, MY. Electromechanical interrelations during dobutamine stress in normal subjects and patients with coronary artery disease: comparison of changes in activation and inotropic state. Heart 2001; 85: 411–416.
20. Duncan, A, Francis, D, Gibson, D, Pepper, J, Henein, M. Electromechanical left ventricular resynchronisation by coronary artery bypass surgery. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2004; 26: 711–719.
21. Wasserman, K, Hansen, JE, Sue, DY, Stringer, WW, Whipp, BJ. Principles of exercise testing and interpretation: Including pathohysiology and clinical applications. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, 2004.