1. Lehnart, SE, Ackerman, MJ, Benson, DW, et al. Inherited arrhythmias: A National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute and Office of Rare Diseases Workshop consensus report about the diagnosis, phenotyping, molecular mechanisms, and therapeutic approaches for primary cardiomyopathies of gene mutations affecting ion channel function. Circulation 2007; 116: 2325–2345.
2. Kellerman, J, Zeltzer, L, Ellenberg, L, Dash, J, Rigler, D. Psychological effects of illness in adolescence. I. Anxiety, self-esteem, and perception of control. J Pediatr 1980; 97: 126–131.
3. Ladwig, KH, Baumert, J, Marten-Mittag, B, Kolb, C, Zrenner, B, Schmitt, C. Posttraumatic stress symptoms and predicted mortality in patients with implantable cardioverter-defibrillators: results from the prospective living with an implanted cardioverter-defibrillator study. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2008; 65: 1324–1330.
4. Pedersen, SS, Van Domburg, RT, Theuns, DAMJ, Jordaens, L, Erdman, RAM. Concerns about the implantable cardioverter defibrillator: a determinant of anxiety and depressive symptoms independent of experienced shocks. Am Heart J 2005; 149: 664–669.
5. Vitale, MB, Funk, M. Quality of life in younger persons with an implantable cardioverter defibrillator. Dimens Crit Care Nurs 1995; 14: 100–111.
6. Priori, SG, Blomstrom-Lundqvist, C, Mazzanti, A, et al. 2015 ESC Guidelines for the management of patients with ventricular arrhythmias and the prevention of sudden cardiac death: The Task Force for the Management of Patients with Ventricular Arrhythmias and the Prevention of Sudden Cardiac Death of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J 2015; 36: 2793–2867.
7. Bostwick, JM, Sola, CL. An updated review of implantable cardioverter/defibrillators, induced anxiety, and quality of life [review]. Heart Fail Clin 2011; 7: 101–108.
8. Pilmer, CM, Kirsh, JA, Hildebrandt, D, Krahn, A, Gow, R. Sudden cardiac death in children and adolescents between 1 and 19 years of age. Heart Rhythm 2014; 11: 239–245.
9. Heidbuchel, H, Corrado, D, Biffi, A, et al. Recommendations for participation in leisure-time physical activity and competitive sports of patients with arrhythmias and potentially arrhythmogenic conditions Part II: Ventricular arrhythmias, channelopathies and implantable defibrillators. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 2006; 13: 676–686.
10. Heidbuchel, H, Panhuyzen-Goedkoop, N, Corrado, D, et al. Recommendations for participation in leisure-time physical activity and competitive sports in patients with arrhythmias and potentially arrhythmogenic conditions. Part I: Supraventricular arrhythmias and pacemakers. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 2006; 13: 475–484.
11. Strong, WB, Malina, RM, Blimkie, CJR, et al. Evidence based physical activity for school-age youth. J Pediatr 2005; 146: 732–737.
12. Ackerman, MJ, Zipes, DP, Kovacs, RJ, Maron, BJ. AHA/ACC Scientific Statement: eligibility and disqualification recommendations for competitive athletes with cardiovascular abnormalities: task force 10: The cardiac channelopathies. J Am Coll Cardiol 2015; 66: 2424–2428.
13. Johnson, JN, Ackerman, MJ. Return to play? Athletes with congenital long QT syndrome. Br J Sports Med 2013; 47: 28–33.
14. Zeigler, VL, Decker-Walters, B. Determining psychosocial research priorities for adolescents wtih implantable cardioverter defibrillators using Delphi methodology. J Cardiovasc Nurs 2010; 25: 398–404.
15. Higgins JPT, Green S (eds). Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0 [updated March 2011]. The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011. Retrieved from http://handbook.cochrane.org.
16. Wojcicka, M, Lewandowski, M, Smolis-Bak, E, Szwed, H. Psychological and clinical problems in young adults with implantable cardioverter-defibrillators. Kardiol Pol 2008; 66: 1050–1058.
17. Koopman, HM, Vrijmoet-Wiersma, CM, Langius, JN, et al. Psychological functioning and disease-related quality of life in pediatric patients with an implantable cardioverter defibrillator. Pediatr Cardiol 2012; 33: 569–575.
18. Stefanelli, CB, Bradley, DJ, Leroy, S, Dick, M II, Serwer, GA, Fischbach, PS. Implantable cardioverter defibrillator therapy for life-threatening arrhythmias in young patients. J Interv Card Electrophysiol 2002; 6: 235–244.
19. Costa, R, da Silva, KR, Castro Mendonca, R, et al. Incidence of shock and quality of life in young patients with implantable cardioverter-defibrillator. Arq Bras Cardiol 2007; 88: 229–235.
20. Sleeper, LA, Towbin, JA, Colan, SD, et al. Health-related quality of life and functional status are associated with cardiac status and clinical outcome in children with cardiomyopathy. J Pediatr 2016; 170: 173–80.e1-4.
21. Czosek, RJ, Kaltman, JR, Cassedy, AE, et al. Quality of life of pediatric patients with long QT syndrome. Am J Cardiol 2016; 117: 605–610.
22. Bratt, EL, Sparud-Lundin, C, Ostman-Smith, I, et al. The experience of being diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy through family screening in childhood and adolescence. Cardiol Young 2012; 22: 528–535.
23. Czosek, RJ, Cassedy, AE, Wray, J, et al. Quality of life in pediatric patients affected by electrophysiologic disease. Heart Rhythm 2015; 12: 899–908.
24. Eicken, A, Kolb, C, Lange, S, et al. Implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) in children. Int J Cardiol 2006; 107: 30–35.
25. Giuffre, RM, Gupta, S, Crawford, SG, Leung, AKC. Fears and anxiety in children with Long-QT Syndrome compared to children with asthma. J Natl Med Assoc 2008; 100: 420–424.
26. Meulenkamp, TM, Tibben, A, Mollema, ED, et al. Predictive genetic testing for cardiovascular diseases: impact on carrier children. Am J Med Genet 2008; 146A(24): 3136–3146.
27. Antiel, RM, Box, JM, Joyce, DD, et al. Quality of life after videoscopic left cardiac sympathetic denervation in patients with potentially life-threatening cardiac channelopathies/cardiomyopathies. Heart Rhythm 2016; 13: 62–69.
28. Rahman, B, Macciocca, I, Sahhar, M, Kamberi, S, Connell, V, Duncan, RE. Adolescents wtih implantable cardioverter defibrillators: a patient and parent perspective. PACE 2012; 35: 62–72.
29. Czosek, RJ, Bonney, WJ, Cassedy, A, et al. Impact of cardiac devices on the quality of life of pediatric patients. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol 2012; 5: 1064–1072.
30. Demaso, DR, Lauretti, A, Spieth, L, et al. Psychosocial factors and quality of life in children and adolescents with implantable cardioverter-defibrillators. Am J Cardiol 2004; 93: 582–587.
31. Patel, B, Lai, L, Goldfield, G, Sananes, R, Longmuir, PE. Psychosocial health and quality of life among children with cardiac diagnoses: agreement and discrepancies between parent and child reports. Cardiol Young 2016; 27: 713–721.
33. Diller, GP, Giardini, A, Dimopoulos, K, Gargiulo, G, Muller, J, Derrick, G. Predictors of morbidity and mortality in contemporary Fontan patients: results from a multicenter study including cardiopulmonary exercise testing in 321 patients. Eur Heart J 2010; 31: 3073–3083.