1. Anand, KJ, Brown, MJ, Bloom, SR, Aynsley-Green, A. Studies on the hormonal regulation of fuel metabolism in the human newborn infant undergoing anaesthesia and surgery. Horm Res 1985; 22: 115–128.
2. Ellger, B, Debaveye, Y, Vanhorebeek, I, et al. Survival benefits of intensive insulin therapy in critical illness: impact of maintaining normoglycemia versus glycemia-independent actions of insulin. Diabetes 2006; 55: 1096–1105.
3. Gandhi, GY, Nuttall, GA, Abel, MD, et al. Intraoperative hyperglycemia and perioperative outcomes in cardiac surgery patients. Mayo Clin Proc 2005; 80: 862–866.
4. Branco, RG, Garcia, PC, Piva, JP, Casartelli, CH, Seibel, V, Tasker, RC. Glucose level and risk of mortality in pediatric septic shock. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2005; 6: 470–472.
5. Hays, SP, Smith, EO, Sunehag, AL. Hyperglycemia is a risk factor for early death and morbidity in extremely low birth-weight infants. Pediatrics 2006; 118: 1811–1818.
6. Van den Berghe, G, Wilmer, A, Hermans, G, et al. Intensive insulin therapy in the medical ICU. N Engl J Med 2006; 354: 449–461.
7. van den Berghe, G, Wouters, P, Weekers, F, et al. Intensive insulin therapy in the critically ill patients. N Engl J Med 2001; 345: 1359–1367.
8. Vlasselaers, D, Milants, I, Desmet, L, et al. Intensive insulin therapy for patients in paediatric intensive care: a prospective, randomised controlled study. Lancet 2009; 373: 547–556.
9. Finfer, S, Chittock, DR, Su, SY, et al. Intensive versus conventional glucose control in critically ill patients. N Engl J Med 2009; 360: 1283–1297.
10. Polito, A, Thiagarajan, RR, Laussen, PC, et al. Association between intraoperative and early postoperative glucose levels and adverse outcomes after complex congenital heart surgery. Circulation 2008; 118: 2235–2242.
11. Yates, AR, Dyke, PC II, Taeed, R, et al. Hyperglycemia is a marker for poor outcome in the postoperative pediatric cardiac patient. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2006; 7: 351–355.
12. Ulate, KP, Lima Falcao, GC, Bielefeld, MR, Morales, JM, Rotta, AT. Strict glycemic targets need not be so strict: a more permissive glycemic range for critically ill children. Pediatrics 2008; 122: e898–e904.
13. Ballweg, JA, Wernovsky, G, Ittenbach, RF, et al. Hyperglycemia after infant cardiac surgery does not adversely impact neurodevelopmental outcome. Ann Thorac Surg 2007; 84: 2052–2058.
14. Li, J, Zhang, G, McCrindle, BW, et al. Profiles of hemodynamics and oxygen transport derived by using continuous measured oxygen consumption after the Norwood procedure. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2007; 133: 441–448.
15. Li, J, Zhang, G, Holtby, H, et al. The influence of systemic hemodynamics and oxygen transport on cerebral oxygen saturation in neonates after the Norwood procedure. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2008; 135: 83–90, 90.e81–82.
16. Li, J, Zhang, G, Holtby, H, et al. Adverse effects of dopamine on systemic hemodynamic status and oxygen transport in neonates after the Norwood procedure. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006; 48: 1859–1864.
17. Li, J, Redington, AN. Unique technique for assessing the effects of CO2 on oxygen transport variables. Int J Intensive Care 2006; 13: 169–175.
18. Van den Berghe, G. How does blood glucose control with insulin save lives in intensive care? J Clin Invest 2004; 114: 1187–1195.
19. Ceriello, A, Quagliaro, L, D'Amico, M, et al. Acute hyperglycemia induces nitrotyrosine formation and apoptosis in perfused heart from rat. Diabetes 2002; 51: 1076–1082.
20. Giugliano, D, Marfella, R, Coppola, L, et al. Vascular effects of acute hyperglycemia in humans are reversed by l-arginine. Evidence for reduced availability of nitric oxide during hyperglycemia. Circulation 1997; 95: 1783–1790.
21. Vanhorebeek, I, De Vos, R, Mesotten, D, Wouters, PJ, De Wolf-Peeters, C, Van den Berghe, G. Protection of hepatocyte mitochondrial ultrastructure and function by strict blood glucose control with insulin in critically ill patients. Lancet 2005; 365: 53–59.
22. Ste-Marie, L, Hazell, AS, Bemeur, C, Butterworth, R, Montgomery, J. Immunohistochemical detection of inducible nitric oxide synthase, nitrotyrosine and manganese superoxide dismutase following hyperglycemic focal cerebral ischemia. Brain Res 2001; 918: 10–19.
23. Dietrich, WD, Alonso, O, Busto, R. Moderate hyperglycemia worsens acute blood–brain barrier injury after forebrain ischemia in rats. Stroke 1993; 24: 111–116.
24. Puskas, F, Grocott, HP, White, WD, Mathew, JP, Newman, MF, Bar-Yosef, S. Intraoperative hyperglycemia and cognitive decline after CABG. Ann Thorac Surg 2007; 84: 1467–1473.
25. Wernovsky, G. Current insights regarding neurological and developmental abnormalities in children and young adults with complex congenital cardiac disease. Cardiol Young 2006; 16 (Suppl 1): 92–104.