2. Chong, CR, Sullivan, DJ. New uses for old drugs. Nature 2007;448(7154):645–6. See also, Nosengo, N.Can you teach old drugs new tricks? Nature 2016;534(7607):314–6. See also, Ashburn, TT, Thor, KB. Drug repositioning: Identifying and developing new uses for existing drugs. Nature Reviews Drug Discovery 2004;3(8):673–83.
4. Chu, CM. Role of lopinavir/ritonavir in the treatment of SARS: Initial virological and clinical findings. Thorax 2004;59:252–56.
5. Arabi, YM, Asiri, AY, Assiri, AM, Aziz Jokhdar, HA, Alothman, A, Balkhy, HH, et al.Treatment of Middle East respiratory syndrome with a combination of lopinavir-ritonavir and interferon-β1b (MIRACLE trial): Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 2018;19:81. See also, Sheahan, TP, Sims, AC, Leist, SR, Schafer, A, Won, J, Brown, AJ, et al.Comparative therapeutic efficacy of remdesivir and combination lopinavir, ritonavir, and interferon beta against MERS-CoV. Nature Communications 2020;11:222.
6. Huang, C, Wang, Y, Li, X, Ren, L, Zhao, J, Hu, Y, et al.Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. The Lancet 2020;395(10223):497–506. See also, Nikkei. Shin-gata haien, kou-HIV-yaku touyo-go ni syojo kaizen [2019-nCoV pneumonia has improved after anti-HIV drugs was given]. 2020 February 6; available at https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO55341640W0A200C2CC1000/ (last accessed 14 March 2020). See also, Reuters. Cocktail of Flu, HIV Drugs Appears to Help Fight Coronavirus: Thai Doctors; 2020 February 2; available at https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-thailand/cocktail-of-flu-hiv-drugs-appears-to-help-fight-coronavirus-thai-doctors-idUSKBN1ZW0GQ (last accessed 14 March 2020).
10. Emanuel EJ, Persad G, Upshur R, Thome B, Parker M, Glickman A, et al. Fair allocation of scarce medical resources in the time of Covid-19. The New England Journal of Medicine; 2020 March 23; available at https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsb2005114 (last accessed 14 March 2020).
12. m3. COVID-19 heno sikuresonido, ippan rinsyo de siyou muzukasii 2 tu no riyu. [2 Hard Issues Prevent Using Ciclesonide for COVID-19 in Clinical Settings] m3; 2020 March 6; available at https://www.m3.com/clinical/news/735718 (last accessed 12 March 2020).
15. Sakamaoto N. BCG Korona ni yuuko? Kasetsu de otona no sesshu-kibo kyuzo. Nyuji he kyoukyu ni eikyo mo [Is BCG vaccine effective for COVID-19? A hypothesis made adults request for vaccination. Impact on supply for infants would be seen]. Nishinippon Shimbun; 2020 April 8; available at https://www.nishinippon.co.jp/item/n/599010/ (last accessed 12 March 2020).
16. The Japanese Society for Vaccinology. Sin-gata korona-uirusu kansensho ni tai-suru BCG wakuchin no kouka ni kan-suru kenkai [An Opinion for the Effectiveness of BCG Vaccine against COVID-19]; 2020 April 3; available at http://www.jsvac.jp/pdfs/kenkai.pdf (last accessed 4 April 2020).
18. Wang, M, Cao, R, Zhang, L, Yang, X, Liu, J, Xu, M, et al.Remdesivir and chloroquine effectively inhibit the recently emerged novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in vitro. Cell Research 2020;30:269–71.
19. Shin-gata inhuruenza-tou oyobi tori-inhuruenza-tou ni kan-suru kankei syocho taisaku kaigi. Shin-gata inhuruenza-tou taisaku gaidorain [Guideline of countermeasures for new types of influenza and other emerging diseases]. Cabinet Secretariat; 2013 June 26; available at https://www.cas.go.jp/jp/seisaku/ful/keikaku/pdf/h300621gl_guideline.pdf (last accessed 14 February 2020).
22. Mill, JS. On liberty. In: Robson, JM and Brady, A, eds. Essays on Politics and Society. Toronto, Buffalo: University of Toronto Press; 1977, at 213–310.
23. Zhang, L, Chow, EPF, Jing, J, Zhuang, X, Li, X, He, M, et al.HIV prevalence in China: Integration of surveillance data and a systematic review. The Lancet Infectious Disease 2013;13:955–63.
25. Chinese Clinical Trial Registry. A Randomized, Open-Label, Blank-Controlled Trial for the Efficacy and Safety of Lopinavir-Ritonavir and Interferon-Alpha 2b in Hospitalization Patients with Novel Coronavirus Infection. Chengdu, China: Ministry of Health (China), 2020. Identifier ChiCTR2000029308; available at http://www.chictr.org.cn/showproj.aspx?proj=48684 (last accessed 29 Jan 2020).