1. Bernat, JL, Dalle Ave, AL. Aligning the criterion and tests for brain death. Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics, 2019;28(4):635–41.
2. Bernat, JL, Culver, CM, Gert, B. On the definition and criterion of death. Annals of Internal Medicine 1981;94:389–94, at 390.
3. See note 2, Bernat et al. 1981, at 390.
4. Gross, CG. Claude bernard and the constancy of the internal environment. Neuroscientist 1998;4:380–5.
5. Cannon, WB. The Wisdom of the Body. New York: The Norton Library; 1932.
6. See note 2, Bernat et al. 1981, at 390.
7. Burkle, CM, Sharp, RR, Wijdicks, EF. Why brain death is considered death and why there should be no confusion. Neurology 2014;83:1464–9.
8. Wijdicks, EFM. Deliberating death in the summer of 1968. New England Journal of Medicine 2018;379:412–5.
9. Shewmon, DA. Chronic “brain death”—meta-analysis and conceptual consequences. Neurology 1998;51:1538–45.
10. Repertinger, S, Fitzgibbons, WP, Omojola, MF, Brumback, RA. Long survival following bacterial meningitis-associated brain destruction. Journal of Child Neurology 2006;21:591–5.
11. Shewmon, DA. Spinal shock and brain death’: Somatic pathophysiological equivalence and implications for the integrative-unity rationale. Spinal Cord 1999;37:313–24.
12. The president’s council on bioethics. Controversies in the Determination of Death: A White Paper of the President’s Council on Bioethics, December 2008, at 40.
13. Veatch, RM. The whole-brain-oriented concept of death. An outmoded philosophical formulation. Journal of Thanatology 1975;3:13–30, at 15.
14. See note 2, Bernat et al. 1981, at 390.
15. Academy of medical royal colleges. A Code of Practice for the Diagnosis and Confirmation of Death . 2008; available at http://www.aomrc.org.uk/reports-guidance/ukdec-reports-and-guidance/code-practice-diagnosis-confirmation-death/ (last accessed 26 Feb 2019).
16. Shewmon, DA. False-positive diagnosis of brain death following the pediatric guidelines: Case report and discussion. Journal of Child Neurology 2017;32:1104–17.
17. Shewmon, DA. The case of jahi mcmath: A neurologist’s view. Hastings Center Report 2018;48 Suppl 4:S74–S6.
18. Hornby, K, Hornby, L, Shemie, SD. A systematic review of autoresuscitation after cardiac arrest. Critical Care Medicine 2010;38:1246–53.
Email your librarian or administrator to recommend adding this journal to your organisation's collection.
Full text views reflects the number of PDF downloads, PDFs sent to Google Drive, Dropbox and Kindle and HTML full text views.
Abstract views reflect the number of visits to the article landing page.
* Views captured on Cambridge Core between <date>. This data will be updated every 24 hours.
Usage data cannot currently be displayed