Skip to main content Accessibility help
×
Home

Baguley Hall: the survival of Pre-Conquest building traditions in the fourteenth century1

  • J. T. Smith and C. F. Stell

Extract

The timber-framed houses of south Lancashire and Cheshire first became familiar to antiquaries through the publication between 1851 and 1859 of Turner and Parker's Domestic Architecture of the Middle Ages. In 1884 the architect Henry Taylor produced a more extended study entitled Old Halls in Lancashire and Cheshire that remains today the best general account of the subject. Subsequently the only important addition to knowledge was the detailed description of the Lancashire halls for the Victoria County History, published between 1906 and 1914. Thereafter little work has been done on them, and certainly nothing comparable to the studies of timber-framed buildings in Sussex, Essex, or the midlands. As a group these northern houses are remarkable for their heavy timbering and a contrasted ‘black-and-white’ effect which is more marked than anywhere else in England.

Copyright

References

Hide All

page 131 note 2 Crossley, F. H., Timber Building in England (1951), p. 127.

page 133 note 1 Taylor, Henry, Old Halls in Lancashire and Cheshire, pl. IV.

page 135 note 1 Taylor, , Old Halls, pl. XXIV.

page 138 note 1 ‘Megaxylic’ was suggested in the discussion following the paper.

page 138 note 2 Strictly speaking a beam is any horizontal member rather than one of a particular proportion, but the distinction drawn in the text may help to clarify the problem under discussion.

page 138 note 3 Crossley, , Timber Building, p. 112.

page 140 note 1 An early and well-known example is the ‘Clergy House’ at Alfriston, Sussex, owned by the National Trust; a late one at Bignor in the same county is illustrated in Lloyd, N., A History of the English House, p. 205.

page 141 note 1 R.C.H.M., Essex, i, 351-3.

page 141 note 2 R.C.H.M., Herefordshire, III, 209, with plan and sections.

page 141 note 3 Arch. Journ. cxii (1956), 8790.

page 141 note 4 V.C.H. Warwick, iv, 118, with plan and sections.

page 143 note 1 Nørlund, Poul, Trelleborg (Copenhagen, 1948).

page 143 note 2 Antiq. Journ. xxii (1942), 3953.

page 143 note 3 Hamilton, J. R. C., Jarlskof (1956), p. 107.

page 144 note 1 Aarbtgcr, 1952, pp. 162-5.

page 144 note 2 , Nørlund, op. cit., p. 276.

page 144 note 3 Cf. Aarboger, 1952, p. 158.

page 144 note 4 Boethius, Gerda, Hallar, Tempel och Stavkyrkor (Stockholm, 1931), fig. 62 (section).

page 145 note 1 Ibid., figs. 47-49.

page 145 note 2 Bugge, Anders, Norwegian Stave Churches (Oslo, 1953), pl. 81.

page 145 note 3 Rigold, S. E. illustrates a house at Steventon (Berks.) with cross-bracing of quite different appearance from that at Baguley: Trans. Newbury and District F.C. x (1958), 89.

page 145 note 4 Boethius, , op. cit., p. 119.

page 145 note 5 Redrawn in Conant, K. J., Carolingian and Romanesque Architecture, 800-1200 (1959), p. 40.

page 145 note 6 Smith, J. T., ‘Medieval Roofs: a Classification’, Arch. Journ. cv (1958), 111–49.

page 146 note 1 Smith, J. T., op. cit., pp. 140 ff.

page 146 note 2 The term ‘king-post’ is here used to denote a post supporting a ridge-piece an d excludes the sort of post that merely carries a collar-purlin; to differentiate the latter the term ‘crown-post’ has been suggested: ibid.

page 146 note 3 Bugge, , op. cit., pl. 34.

page 146 note 4 T. D. Whitaker, History of Whalley.

page 147 note 1 R.C.H.M., Westmorland, p. 196 b; this roof and others in the same county are discussed briefly in J. T. Smith, op. cit.

page 147 note 2 R.C.H.M., Westmorland, pl. 105 and p. 196 a.

page 147 note 3 Smith, J. T., op. cit., pp. 128–9.

page 147 note 4 Cf. Gol (Bugge, op. cit., pl. 83), etc.

page 148 note 1 Country Life, 14 July 1923, fig. 6; Abbey Square Sketch Book, ii (n.d.), pl. 26.

page 148 note 2 Country Life, loc. cit., pl. 4.

page 148 note 3 Ibid., pl. 6.

page 148 note 4 Ibid., p. 54.

page 148 note 5 Some drawings were published in Abbey Square Sketch Book, ii, pls. 25-27.

page 148 note 6 Taylor, , op. cit., pp. 6065 and pl. IV (plan).

page 149 note 1 R.C.H.M., Herefordshire, ii, 137-8, with plan and sections.

page 149 note 2 Arch. Journ. cxv (1958), fig. 20, p. 145.

page 149 note 3 Wainwright, F. T., ‘North-West Mercia, A.D. 871-924’, Trans. Historic Soc. of Lanes, and Cheshire, xciv (1942), 42.

page 150 note 1 Winkelmann, W., ‘Eine Westfalische Siedlung des 8. Jahrhunderts bei Warendorf…’, Germania, xxxii (1954), 189 ff.

page 150 note 2 Walton, James, ‘Hogback Tombstones and the Anglo-Danish House’, Antiquity, xxviii (1954), 6877.

page 150 note 3 Sir Fox, Cyril, Personality of Britain (4th ed.), p. 40.

page 150 note 1 Taylor, , op. cit., pl. XXX.

page 131 note 1 This paper was published with the aid of a grant from the Council for British Archaeology.

Baguley Hall: the survival of Pre-Conquest building traditions in the fourteenth century1

  • J. T. Smith and C. F. Stell

Metrics

Full text views

Total number of HTML views: 0
Total number of PDF views: 0 *
Loading metrics...

Abstract views

Total abstract views: 0 *
Loading metrics...

* Views captured on Cambridge Core between <date>. This data will be updated every 24 hours.

Usage data cannot currently be displayed