- Publisher: Cambridge University Press
- Online publication date: July 2010
- Print publication year: 1990
- Online ISBN: 9780511600135
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511600135
Collected in this volume are the review papers from the Space Telescope Science Institute symposium on Clusters of Galaxies held in May 1989. Fifteen experts in the field have presented summaries of our current understanding of the formation and evolution of clusters and their constituent galaxies. Subjects covered include the existence and importance of subclustering, models of the evolution of clusters and the intracluster medium, the effect of the cluster environment on galaxies, observations of high redshift clusters, and the use of clusters as tracers of large scale structure. This book provides a timely focus for future observational and theoretical work on clusters of galaxies.