1. , . & . Ultrastructural pathological features of cerebrovascular malformations: a preliminary report. Neurosurgery 2000;46:1454–1459.
2. , , & Biology of vascular malformations of the brain. Stroke 2009;40:e694–e702.
3. , , , et al. Proteomic identification of the cerebral cavernous malformation signaling complex. J Proteome Res 2007;6:4343–4355.
4. , , , et al. KRIT1/cerebral cavernous malformation 1 protein localizes to vascular endothelium, astrocytes, and pyramidal cells of the adult human cerebral cortex. Neurosurgery 2004;54:943–949.
5. , , , et al. The cerebral cavernous malformation signaling pathway promotes vascular integrity via Rho GTPases. Nat Med 2009;15:177–184.
6. , , & Ultrastructural and immunocytochemical evidence that an incompetent blood-brain barrier is related to the pathophysiology of cavernous malformations. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2001;71:188–192.
7. , , & Ultrastructural characteristics of hemorrhagic, nonhemorrhagic, and recurrent cavernous malformations. J Neurosurg 2005;103:903–909.
8. ., ., & An analysis of the natural history of cavernous angiomas. J Neurosurg 1991;75:702–708.
9. , & , et al. Incidental findings on brain magnetic resonance imaging: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 2009;339:b3016. doi: 10.1136/bmj.b3016.:b3016.
10. , , , et al. The natural history of familial cavernous malformations: results of an ongoing study. J Neurosurg 1994;80:422–432.
11. , , , & De novo lesions in familial form of cerebral cavernous malformations: clinical and MR features in 29 non-Hispanic families. Surg Neurol 2000;53:475–482.
12. , , . & De novo formation and growth of a sporadic cerebral cavernous malformation: implications for management in an asymptomatic patient. Cerebrovasc Dis 2003;16:432–435.
13. De novo formation of a cavernous malformation of the brain in the presence of a developmental venous anomaly. Clin Radiol 2003;58:251–256.
14. & De novo development of a lesion with the appearance of a cavernous malformation adjacent to an existing developmental venous anomaly. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2005;26:156–159.
15. , , , et al. Dynamic nature of cavernous malformations: a prospective magnetic resonance imaging study with volumetric analysis. J Neurosurg 2000;93:981–986.
16. , , & De novo formation of a central nervous system cavernous malformation: implications for predicting risk of hemorrhage. Case report and review of the literature. J Neurosurg 1997;87:629–632.
17. , & De novo development of presumed cavernomas following resolution of E. coli subdural empyemas. Neuroradiology 2000;42:778–780.
18. , , , et al. Appearance of new lesions in two nonfamilial cerebral cavernoma patients. Eur Neurol 2001;45:83–88.
19. , , & De novo cavernoma case report and review of literature. Surg Neurol 2000;53:484–487.
20. , & Review of the literature on de novo formation of cavernous malformations of the central nervous system after radiation therapy. Neurosurg Focus 2006 Jul 15; 21:e4.
21. , , & . Radiological investigation of spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage: systematic review and trinational survey. Stroke 2010;41:685–690.
22. , , , et al. What is the best imaging strategy for acute stroke?Health Technol Assess 2004;8: iii, ix–iii, 180.
23. , , & Prospective follow-up of 33 asymptomatic patients with familial cerebral cavernous malformations. Neurology 2001;57:1825–1828.
24. , , & Hemorrhage from cavernous malformations of the brain: definition and reporting standards. Angioma Alliance Scientific Advisory Board. Stroke 2008;39:3222–3230.
25. , , , et al. Natural history of intracranial cavernous malformations. J Neurosurg 1995;83:56–59.
26. , , , et al. Cavernous malformations of the brainstem: experience with 100 patients. J Neurosurg 1999;90:50–58.
27. , , , Rapid resolution of signs of primary intracerebral haemorrhage in computed tomograms of the brain. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1987;295:379–381.
28. , , , & Intracranial hematomas: imaging by high-field MR. Radiology 1985;157:87–93.
29. , , & MRI features of intracerebral hemorrhage within 2 hours from symptom onset. Stroke 1999;30:2263–2267.
30. , & Detection of hyperacute primary intraparenchymal hemorrhage by magnetic resonance imaging. Stroke 1996;27:2321–2324.
31. , , , & Detection of hyperacute parenchymal hemorrhage of the brain using echo-planar T2*-weighted and diffusion-weighted MRI. Eur Radiol 2001;11:849–853.
32. , & Imaging of hemorrhagic stroke. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am 2006;14:127–40, v.
33. MR appearance of hemorrhage in the brain. Radiology 1993;189:15–26.
34. , , , et al. Detection of intracranial hemorrhage with susceptibility-weighted MR sequences. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 1999;20:1527–1534.
35. , , , et al. Diffusion-weighted MR imaging of intracerebral hemorrhage. Korean J Radiol 2001;2:183–191.
36. , , , et al. Measurements of acute cerebral infarction: a clinical examination scale. Stroke 1989;20:864–870.
37. & Outcomes validity and reliability of the modified Rankin scale: implications for stroke clinical trials: a literature review and synthesis. Stroke 2007;38:1091–1096.
38. , , , et al. Improved preoperative evaluation of cerebral cavernomas by high-field, high-resolution susceptibility-weighted magnetic resonance imaging at 3 Tesla: comparison with standard (1.5 T) magnetic resonance imaging and correlation with histopathological findings – preliminary results. Invest Radiol 2007;42:346–351.
39. , , , et al. Susceptibility-weighted imaging for the evaluation of patients with familial cerebral cavernous malformations: a comparison with t2-weighted fast spin-echo and gradient-echo sequences. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2008;29:154–158.
40. , , , et al.. Functional MRI near vascular anomalies: comparison of cavernoma and arteriovenous malformation. J Clin Neurosci 2004;11:845–848.
41. , , & Cerebral cavernous malformations: natural history and prognosis after clinical deterioration with or without hemorrhage. J Neurosurg 1997;87:190–197.
42. , , , et al. Predictive factors for intracerebral hemorrhage in patients with cavernous angiomas. Neurol Res 2005;27:314–318.
43. , , & Cavernous malformations of the brain stem. A review of 139 cases. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 1994;130(1–4):35–46.
44. , , , et al. The natural history of cavernous malformations: a prospective study of 68 patients. Neurosurgery 1999;44:1166–1171.
45. , & Natural history of the cavernous angioma. J Neurosurg 1991;75:709–714.
46. , & The natural history of cerebral cavernous malformations. J Neurosurg 1995;83:820–824.
47. , , , et al. Temporal clustering of hemorrhages from untreated cavernous malformations of the central nervous system. Neurosurgery 2001;49:15–24.
48. , & A comparison of the clinical profile of cavernous malformations with and without associated venous malformations. Neurosurgery 1999;44:41–46.
49. , , , . & The natural history of familial cerebral cavernomas: a retrospective MRI study of 40 patients. Neuroradiology 2000;42:327–332.
50. , , , et al. Natural history of brainstem cavernous malformations. Neurosurgery 2001;48:47–53.
51. ., , & Incidence and prevalence of intracranial vascular malformations in Olmsted County, Minnesota, 1965 to 1992. Neurology 1996;46:949–952.
52. , , , et al. Prospective, population-based detection of intracranial vascular malformations in adults: the Scottish Intracranial Vascular Malformation Study (SIVMS). Stroke 2003;34:1163–1169.
53. , , , et al. Differences between intracranial vascular malformation types in the characteristics of their presenting haemorrhages: prospective, population-based study. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2008;79:47–51.
54. , , & Recurrent intraparenchymal hemorrhages from angiographically occult vascular malformations. J Neurosurg 1990;73:174–180.
55. , & Familial cerebral cavernous angiomas: clinical and radiologic studies. Neurology 1995;45:492–497.
56. , , , & Hereditary cerebral cavernous angiomas: clinical and genetic features in 57 French families. Societe Francaise de Neurochirurgie. Lancet 1998;352:1892–1897.
57. & Meta-analysis. Potentials and promise. BMJ 1997;315:1371–1374.
58. , , , , et al. Cholesterol and total mortality: need for larger trials. BMJ 1992;304:1689.
59. & To IPD or not to IPD? Advantages and disadvantages of systematic reviews using individual patient data. Eval Health Prof 2002;25:76–97.
60. & Practical methodology of meta-analyses (overviews) using updated individual patient data. Cochrane Working Group. Stat Med 1995;14:2057–2079.
61. & Meta-analysis of the literature or of individual patient data: is there a difference?Lancet 1993;341:418–422.
62. , , , et al. Meta-analysis of individual patient data from randomized trials: a review of methods used in practice. Clin Trials 2005;2:209–217.
63. , , , et al. Long-term results after stereotactic radiosurgery for patients with cavernous malformations. Neurosurgery 2002;50:1190–1197.
64. , , , & An analysis of the natural history of cavernous malformations. Surg Neurol 1997;48:9–17.