- Publisher: Cambridge University Press
- Online publication date: May 2011
- Print publication year: 2011
- Online ISBN: 9780511975790
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/CCOL9780521874342
This volume provides lively and authoritative introductions to twenty-nine of the most important British and Irish poets from Geoffrey Chaucer to Philip Larkin. The list includes, among others, Shakespeare, Donne, Milton, Wordsworth, Browning, Yeats and T. S. Eliot, and represents the tradition of English poetry at its best. Each contributor offers a new assessment of a single poet's achievement and importance, with readings of the most important poems. The essays, written by leading experts, are personal responses, written in clear, vivid language, free of academic jargon, and aim to inform, arouse interest, and deepen understanding.
Source: The Eighteenth Century