No CrossRef data available.
Revisioning Imperial Russia
Published online by Cambridge University Press: 27 January 2017
- Conference Report
- Slavic Review , Volume 52 , Issue 3 , Fall 1993 , pp. 555 - 567
- Copyright © Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies. 1993
1. The Iowa workshop was supported by grants from the Social Science Research Council and the Center for International and Comparative Studies at the University of Iowa. The workshop organizers were Jane Burbank, Nancy Shields Kollmann, Richard Stites and Reginald Zelnik, from the SSRC's Joint Committee on the Soviet Union and its Successor States, and Steven Hoch, who hosted the meeting at the University of Iowa. David Darrow's excellent notes are gratefully acknowledged.
2. Papers were written for the Iowa workshop by Jeffrey Brooks (Johns Hopkins University), Jane Burbank (University of Michigan), Michael Confino (Tel Aviv University), James Cracraft (University of Illinois, Chicago), Laura Engelstein (Princeton University), Gregory Freeze (Brandeis University), Steven L. Hoch (University of Iowa), Valerie Kivelson (University of Michigan), Nancy Kollmann (Stanford University), David Ransel (Indiana University), Michael Stanislawski (Columbia University), Richard Stites (Georgetown University), Richard Wortman (Columbia University) and Reginald Zelnik (University of California, Berkeley). Two commentators from “outside” the Russian field participated in the workshop : Sara Berry (Johns Hopkins University), whose specialty is African history, and Isabel Hull (Cornell University), a specialist in German history. Robert Huber from the SSRC represented an “outside” discipline— political science.
3. This expansiveness has real meaning, in that the next workshops in this project include new participants, as well as graduate students. These workshops were announced in the AAASS Newsletter : Jane Burbank, “Reconstructing the History of Imperial Russia, ” American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies Newsletter 32, no. 2 (March 1992) : 9.