Hostname: page-component-848d4c4894-sjtt6 Total loading time: 0 Render date: 2024-07-06T05:40:47.231Z Has data issue: false hasContentIssue false

Discussion

Published online by Cambridge University Press:  11 August 2014

Get access

Extract

It is a matter of some regret to me that a member of the Actuarial Society of South Africa cannot be here this evening to provide an introduction to the paper before you. While I feel I am honoured by my South African friends in being asked, as an ex member of the Society, to undertake this duty, I must confess that I am wondering whether my personal experience is sufficient to qualify me for this task.

For much of his work the actuary is concerned with the people living around him and I think therefore that I should say something about the people living in the Union of South Africa.

South Africa was first discovered around the end of the fifteenth century, but it was not until 1652 that the first settlement was made by the Dutch East India Company. The settlers were under the control of Jan van Riebeeck who was charged with the duty of providing fresh vegetables, etc., for replenishing the stores of ships rounding the Cape.

Type
Research Article
Copyright
Copyright © Institute of Actuaries Students' Society 1957

Access options

Get access to the full version of this content by using one of the access options below. (Log in options will check for institutional or personal access. Content may require purchase if you do not have access.)