From Death to Life: Ethical Issues in Postmortem Sperm Retrieval as a Source of New Life
Published online by Cambridge University Press: 02 June 2020
This paper examines and critiques the ethical issues in postmortem sperm retrieval and the use of postmortem sperm to create new life. The article was occasioned by the recent request of the parents of a West Point cadet who died in a skiing accident at the Academy to retrieve and use his sperm to honor his memory and perpetuate the family name. The request occasioned national media attention. A trial court judge in New York in a two-page order authorized both the retrieval and use of the postmortem sperm.
- Special Section: Death, Dilemmas, and Decisions
- © The Author(s), 2020. Published by Cambridge University Press
1. Stark L. Parents of dead West Point cadet can use his sperm, judge rules. The New York Times, 2019 May 22:A1.
2. Bever, L, Chiu, A.A cadet died in a tragedy. Now his parents can use his sperm to create his child, a judge rules. The Washington Post 2019 May 21:A1.Google Scholar
3. In the Matter of the Application of M onica Zhu & Youngmin Zhu for an Order Directing the Retrieval of Genetic Material. State of New York Supreme Court, County of Westchester, 21 Mar 2019, Index Number: 53327/2019.
6. Schlorendoff v. Society of New York Hospital 105 N.E.92 (N.Y. 1914).
8. Canterbury v. Spence 464 F.2d 772 (D.C. Cir. 1972).
10. Ethics committee of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine. Posthumous retrieval/and or use of gametes or embryos: An ethics committee opinion. Fertility & Sterility 2018;4:1–5.Google Scholar
17. Gholipour, B. Making babies after death: It’s possible, but is it ethical? Live Science 2013 June 11:2–7.Google Scholar
18. Dalton K. Dead couple’s embryos to be thawed. The Washington Post 1987 December 4,:A1.
19. Radford M. Post-mortem sperm retrieval and Social security Administration: How modern reproduction technology makes strange bedfellows. Georgia State College of Law. Legal Studies Research Paper No 2009-09.
20. Johnston J. Grandparents should understand their rights to visitation of their grandchildren. May 7 2018 https//www.hhmlaw.com> grandparents-should-understand-their-rights -to-visitation-of -their- grandchildren (Accessed March 18, 2020).
24. Kramer, PD. West Point cadet Peter Zhu: Sperm retrieval case raises thorny ethical, legal questions. Rockland/Westchester Journal News 2019 March 8:4ffGoogle Scholar (includes an interview with Arthur Caplan).
27. Superintendent of Belchertown State School v. Saikewitz 373 Mass 778,370 N.E.2d 417 (1977).
30. Spar DL. Fertility industry is a Wild West. The New York Times 2011 September 13:A16.