1. , , et al. Pragmatic approach to nutrition in the ICU. Clin Nutr 2013; 33 : 246–51.
2. , , et al. Negative impact of hypocaloric feeding and energy balance on clinical outcome in ICU patients. Clin Nutr 2005; 24 : 502–9.
3. , , . Computerized energy balance and complications in critically ill patients: an observational study. Clin Nutr 2006; 25 : 37–44.
4. , , , et al. Early use of supplemental parenteral nutrition in critically ill patients: results of an international multicenter observational study. Crit Care Med 2011; 39 : 2691–9.
5. , , . Nutritional therapy based on positive caloric balance in burn patients. Arch Surg 1977; 112 : 974–80.
6. , , et al. Contribution of the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway to overall muscle proteolysis in hypercatabolic patients. Metabolism 2000; 49 : 689–91.
7. , , et al. Calorie restriction accelerates the catabolism of lean body mass during 2 wk of bed rest. Am J Clin Nutr 2007; 86 : 366–72.
8. , , et al. Response of protein and urea kinetics in burn patients to different levels of protein intake. Ann Surg 1983; 197 : 163–71.
9. , , et al. Optimal protein requirements during the first 2 weeks after the onset of critical illness. Crit Care Med 1998; 26 : 1529–35.
10. . Protein and energy provision in critical illness. Am J Clin Nutr 2003; 78 : 906–11.
11. , , et al. ESPEN Guidelines on Parenteral Nutrition: Intensive care. Clin Nutr 2009; 33 : 387–400.
12. , , et al. Provision of protein and energy in relation to measured requirements in intensive care patients. Clin Nutr 2012; 31 : 462–8.
13. , . Impact of body mass index on outcomes following critical care. Chest 2003; 123 : 1202–7.
14. , , et al. Nutritional risk screening (NRS 2002): a new method based on analysis of controlled clinical trials. Clin Nutr 2002; 22 : 321.
15. , , . Indirect calorimetry measurements in the ventilated critically ill patient: facts and controversies – the heat is on. Crit Care Clin 2010; 26:1–9.
16. . Computerized method for automatic evaluation of lean body mass from PET/CT: comparison with predictive equations. J Nucl Med 2012; 53 : 130–7.
17. , , Autophagy in human health and disease. N Eng J Med 2013; 368 : 651–62
18. , , . Early enteral nutrition and outcomes of critically ill patients treated with vasopressors and mechanical ventilation. Am J Crit Care 2010 : 19 : 261–8.
19. , , et al. Considering energy deficit in the intensive care unit. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 2010; 13:170–6.
20. , , et al. Early versus late parenteral nutrition in critically ill patients. N Eng J Med 2011; 37:601–9.
21. , , et al. Optimization of energy provision with supplemental parenteral nutrition (SPN) improves the clinical outcome of critically ill patients : a randomized controlled trial. Lancet. 2013; 381 : 385–93.
22. , , et al. Early parenteral nutrition in critically ill patients with short-term relative contraindications to early enteral nutrition: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2013; 309 :2130–8.
23. . Frequency of under and overfeeding in mechanically ventilated ICU patients: causes and possible consequences. J Hum Nutr Diet 2006; 19 : 13–22.
24. , , et al. The ratio of energy expenditure to nitrogen loss in diverse patient groups: a systematic review. Clin Nutr 2012; 31: 168–75.
25. , , et al. The Tight Calorie Control Study (TICACOS): a prospective, randomized, controlled study of nutritional support in critically ill patients. Intensive Care Med 2009; 37: 601–9.
26. , , et al. Hypercapnic acidosis induced by nutrition in mechanically ventilated patients: glucose versus fat. Crit Care Med 1985 : 13:537–40.
27. , , et al. Substitution of standard soybean oil with olive oil-based lipid emulsion in parenteral nutrition: comparison of vascular, metabolic, and inflammatory effects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011; 96 : 3207–16.
28. , , et al. Guidelines for the Provision and Assessment of Nutrition Support Therapy in the Adult Critically Ill Patient: Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM) and American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (A.S.P.E.N.). JPEN 2009; 33: 277–316.
29. , . Thiamine supplementation in the critically ill. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 2011; 14 : 610–7.
30. , , et al. Relationship of vitamin D deficiency to clinical outcomes in critically ill patients. JPEN 2012; 36 : 713–20.
31. , , et al. The effect of selenium therapy on mortality in patients with sepsis syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Crit Care Med 2013; 41 : 1555–64.
32. , , et al. Copper, selenium, zinc and thiamine balances during continuous venovenous hemodiafiltration in critically ill patients. Am J Clin Nutr 2004; 80 : 410–16.
33. , , et al. Adequacy of oral intake in critically ill patients 1 week after extubation. J Am Diet Assoc 2010; 110 : 427–33.
34. , . Oral feeding. World Rev Nutr Diet 2013; 105 : 43–9.
35. , , et al. Clinical Research in Intensive Care and Sepsis (CRICS) Group. Effect of not monitoring residual gastric volume on risk of ventilator-associated pneumonia in adults receiving mechanical ventilation and early enteral feeding: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2013; 309 : 249–56.
36. , , et al. Comparison of postpyloric tube feeding and gastric tube feeding in intensive care unit patients: a meta-analysis. Nutr Clin Pract 2013; 28 : 371–80.
37. , , et al. Early enteral feeding, compared with parenteral, reduces postoperative septic complications. The results of a meta-analysis. Ann Surg 1992; 216: 172–83.
38. , . Refeeding in the ICU: an adult and pediatric problem. Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care 2011; 14 : 186–92.
39. , . Acute respiratory failure due to refeeding syndrome and hypophosphatemia induced by hypocaloric enteral nutrition. Nutrition 2009; 25 : 364–7.
40. , , et al. Is there a difference in bloodstream infections in critically ill patients associated with ready-to-use versus compounded parenteral nutrition?Clin Nutr 2012; 31 : 728–34.
41. , , et al. Clinical review: consensus recommendations on measurement of blood glucose and reporting glycemic control in critically ill adults. Crit Care 2013; 17 : 229.
42. , , et al. Enteral Nutrition in ARDS Study Group: effect of enteral feeding with eicosapentaenoic acid, gamma-linolenic acid, and antioxidants in patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome. Crit Care Med 1999; 27:1409–20.
43. , , . Benefit of an enteral diet enriched with eicosapentaenoic acid and gamma-linolenic acid in ventilated patients with acute lung injury. Crit Care Med 2006; 34 : 1033–8.
44. , , et al. A phase II randomized placebo-controlled trial of omega-3 fatty acids for the treatment of acute lung injury. Crit Care Med 2011; 39 : 1655–62.
45. , , et al. Anti-inflammatory properties of omega-3 fatty acids in critical illness: novel mechanisms and an integrative perspective. Intensive Care Med 2008; 34 : 1580–9.
46. , , et al. n-3 fatty acid-enriched parenteral nutrition regimens in elective surgical and ICU patients: a meta-analysis. Crit Care 2012; 16 : R184.
47. , , . Muscle and plasma amino acids following injury: influence of intercurrent infection. Ann Surg 1980; 192: 78–82.
48. , , et al. Canadian Critical Care Trials Group. A randomized trial of glutamine and antioxidants in critically ill patients. N Engl J Med 2013; 368 : 1489–97.
49. , , et al. Metabolic effects of arginine addition to the enteral feeding of critically ill patients. JPEN 2001; 25 : 182–7.
50. , . L-Arginine supplementation in sepsis: beneficial or harmful?Curr Opin Crit Care 2006; 12 : 303–8.
51. , , et al. Soluble fiber reduces the incidence of diarrhea in septic patients receiving total enteral nutrition: a prospective, double-blind, randomized, and controlled trial. Clin Nutr. 2001; 20 : 301–5.
52. , , . Impact of the administration of probiotics on mortality in critically ill adult patients: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Chest 2013; 143 : 646–55.
53. , , . Synbiotics and probiotics in the critically ill after the PROPATRIA trial. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 2012; 15 : 147–50.
54. , . The role of prebiotics and synbiotics in critically ill patients. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 2008; 11 : 782–9.