1. , , , et al. Incidence of adverse events and negligence in hospitalized patients. Results of the Harvard Medical Practice Study I. N Engl J Med 1991; 324(6): 370–6.
2. , , . To Err is Human: Building a Safer Health System. Washington, DC: Institute of Medicine, 1999.
3. , , . Adverse events in British hospitals: preliminary retrospective record review. Br Med J 2001; 322(7285): 517–9.
4. , . Obstetric accidents: a review of 64 cases. Br Med J 1990; 300(6736): 1365–7.
5. , , , , . Significant event auditing. A study of the feasibility and potential of case-based auditing in primary medical care. Occasional Paper, R Coll Gen Pract 1995;70: i-viii: 1–71.
6. . A Protocol for the Investigation and Analysis of Clinical Incidents. University College London, 1999.
. Sentinel Event Root Cause Analysis tool Guide. Available at: www.npsa.org.uk
(accessed 18 January 2008).
8. , , , , , . Change in knowledge of midwives and obstetricians following obstetric emergency training: a randomised controlled trial of local hospital, simulation centre and teamwork training. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 2007; 114(12): 1534–41.
. Investigation into 10 Maternal Deaths at, or Following Delivery at, Northwick Park Hospital, North West London Hospitals NHS Trust, Between April 2002 and April 2005. Available at: www.healthcarecommission.org.uk
(accessed 30 January 2008).
10. , ed. Saving Mothers’ Lives: Reviewing Maternal Deaths to Make Motherhood Safer – 2003–2005. The Seventh Report on Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths in the United Kingdom. London: The Confidential Enquiry into Maternal and Child Health (CEMACH), 2007.
11. , ed. Why Mothers Die 2000–2002: Sixth Report of the Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths in the United Kingdom. London: RCOG Press, 2004.
12. . Project 27/28. An Enquiry into Quality of Care and its Effect on the Survival of Babies Born at 27–28 weeks. London: The Stationary Office, 2003.
13. , ed. Why Mothers Die 1997–1999: Fifth Report of the Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths in the United Kingdom. London: RCOG Press, 2001.
14. , , , , . Clinical guidelines in severe pre-eclampsia and eclampsia. Clin Gov Int J 2005; 10(4): 291–9.
15. . Embedding quality improvement and patient safety at Liverpool Women's NHS Foundation Trust. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 2007; 21(4): 593–607.
16. . The MPS Risk Consulting Approach to Clinical Risk Assessment. Leeds: MPS Risk Consulting Ltd, 2006.
17. , , . Improving the accuracy of estimated blood loss at obstetric haemorrhage using clinical reconstructions. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 2006; 113(8): 919–24.