1.Administration of Aging. A Profile of Older Americans. Washington DC: Department of Health and Human Services; 2000.
2. , . Trauma in the geriatric patient. Arch Surg. 1992;127:701.
3. . The aging process: physiologic changes and pharmacologic implications. Postgrad Med. 1996;99:111–114, 120–122.
4. . Age-related memory decline. Arch Neurol. 2001;58:360–364.
5. . When drug therapy get old: pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics in the elderly. Exp Gerontol. 2003;38:843–853.
6. , . Life and death of neurons in the aging brain. Science. 1997;278:412–419.
7. . Functional changes in the autonomic nervous responses with aging. Age Ageing. 2001;9:17–24.
8. . Age related white matter atrophy in the human brain. Ann NY Acad Sci. 1992;673:260–269.
9. , . Human aging and the sympathoadrenal system. J Physiol. 2000;528:407–417.
10. , . Delirium and other cognitive impairment in older adults in an emergency department. Ann Emerg Med. 1995;25:751.
11. , . Long-term postoperative cognitive dysfunction in the elderly: ISOPCD study 1. Lancet. 1998;351:857–861.
12. , , . Predictors of cognitive dysfunction after major noncardiac surgery. Anesthesiology. 2008;108:8–17.
13. , . Perioperative stroke in general surgery patients. Anaesthesia. 1997;52:879–883.
14. , Delirium is associated with poor rehabilitation outcome in elderly patients treated for femoral neck fractures. Scand J Caring Sci. 2005;19:119–127.
15. , . A randomized study of the influence of perfusion technique and pH management strategy in 316 patients undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery: neurologic and cognitive outcomes. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1995;110:349–362.
16. , . Incidence and hospital stay for cardiac and pulmonary complications after abdominal surgery. J Gen Intern Med. 1995;10:671–678.
17. . Delirium in elderly patients. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2004;12:7–21.
18. . The diagnosis of delirium and DSM-IV. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 1999;10:359–367.
19. , . The impact of postoperative pain on the development of postoperative delirium. Anesth Analg. 1998;86:781–785.
20. , . Brief postoperative delirium in hip fracture patients affects functional outcome at three months. Anesth Analg. 2004;98:1798–1802.
21. , . A clinical prediction rule for delirium after elective noncardiac surgery. JAMA. 1994;274:134–139.
22. , . Importance of functional measures in predicting mortality among older hospitalized patients. JAMA. 1998;279:1187–1193.
23. , . Delirium: a symptom of how hospital care is failing older persons and a window to improve quality of hospital care. Am J Med. 1999;106:565–573.
24. , . Decline in cognitive and functional skills increases mortality risk in nondemented elderly. Neurology. 2005;65:1218–1226.
25. , . Neurological Outcome Research Group and the Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology Research Endeavors Investigators: Longitudinal assessment of neurocognitive function after coronary-artery bypass surgery. N Engl J Med. 2002;344:395–402.
26. , . Type and severity of cognitive impairment in older adults after noncardiac surgery. Anesthesiology. 2008;108:8–17.
27. , : Amino acids and muscle loss with aging. J Nutr. 2006; 136(suppl 1):277S–280S.
28. , . Strength is a major factor in balance, gait, and the occurrence of falls. J Gerontol. 1995;50:S64–S67.
29. . The pharmacology of anesthetic drugs in elderly patients. Anesthesiol Clin North Am. 2000;18:1–29.
30. , . Handbook of the Biology of Aging. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Van Nostrand Reinhold; 1985;744–819.
31. , . Cancer Chemotherapy in the Older Patient. London/New York, NY: Taylor & Francis, 2004;463–488.
32. , . The anatomic and physiologic aspects of aging. In: and , eds. Surgical Care for the Elderly. Baltimore, MD: Williams & Wilkins; 1988;10–28.
33. . Renal function in the elderly. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 1995; 25:122–133.
34. . The effect of increasing age on the distribution of peripheral blood flow in man. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1965;13:192–198.
35. , . Cancer in the older patient. Cancer Treat Rev. 2005;31:380–402.
36. . Pharmacodynamics in the elderly. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2003;17;207–218.
37. , . Age is the best predictor of postoperative morphine requirements. Pain. 1996;64:357–364.
38. , . Age and the pharmacokinetics of morphine. Age Ageing. 1989;18:258–262.
39. , , . Influence of renal function on the elimination of morphine and morphine glucuronides. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 1988;34:353–357.
40. , , . Studies on morphine disposition: plasma concentrations of morphine and its metabolites in anesthetized middle-aged and elderly surgical patients. J Clin Anesth. 1989;1:164–169.
41. , . Meperidine: therapeutic use and toxicity. J Emerg Med. 1995;13:797–802.
42. , . Meperidine-induced delirium. Am J Psychiatry. 1987;144:1062–1065.
43. , . Pharmacokinetics and the pharmacodynamic action of midazolam in young and elderly patients. Clin Pharm Ther. 1998;63:552–560.
44. . Pharmacokinetics. In: , ed. Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology: Local Anesthetics, Vol. 81. Berlin: Springer-Verlag; 1987:165–186.
45. , . Age-associated change in pain threshold measured by transcutaneous neuronal electrical stimulation. Age Ageing. 1989;18:241–246.
46. , , . Age-related differences in the endogenous analgesic response to repeated cold water immersion in human volunteers. Pain. 2000;89:89–96.
47. , . Age-related differences in pain perception and reporting. Clin Geriatr Med. 2001;17:433–456.
48. , . Pain in cognitively impaired nursing home residents: How well are physicians diagnosing it? J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002;50:1039–1044.
49. , , , . Geriatrics Syllabus for Specialists. New York, NY: American Geriatrics Society; 2002.
50. . Postoperative pain management in the frail elderly. Clin Geriatr Med. 1996;12:583–599.
51. , . Outcomes research in regional anesthesia and analgesia. Anesth Analg. 2000;91:1232–1242.
52. , . Postoperative cognitive deficits: more questions than answers. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2004;21:85–88.
53. , . Anaesthesia for hip fracture surgery in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;4:CD000521.
54. , . A predictive model for delirium in hospitalized elderly patients based on admission characteristics. Ann Intern Med. 1993;119:474–481.
55. , . Efficacy of postoperative epidural analgesia: a meta-analysis. JAMA. 2003;290:2455–2463.
56. , . Thoracic epidural anaesthesia and analgesia for abdominal surgery: effects on gastrointestinal function and perfusion. Clin Anaesthesiol. 1999;13:9–22.
57. , . The comparative effects of postoperative analgesic therapies on pulmonary outcomes: cumulative meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Anesth Analg. 1998;86:598–612.
58. , . Reductions of postoperative mortality and morbidity with epidural or spinal anesthesia: results from overview of randomized trials. Br Med J. 2000;321:1493.
59. , . Cognitive effects after epidural vs general anesthesia in older adults: a randomized trial. JAMA. 1995;274:44–50.
60. , . Immediate and long term mental recovery from general versus epidural anesthesia in elderly patients. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 1983;27;44–49.
61. . Structural changes in the normally aging cerebral cortex of primates. Prog Brain Res. 2002;136:455–465.
62. . Effects of regional anesthesia on perioperative outcome. J Clin Anesth. 1996;8:446–455.
63. . Choosing general versus regional anesthesia for the elderly. Anesthesiol Clin North Am. 2000;18:91–1104.
64. , . Effect of epidural anesthesia and analgesia on perioperative outcome: a randomized controlled Veterans Affairs cooperative study. Ann Surg. 2001;234:560–571.
65. , . Preoperative cardiac events in elderly patients with hip fracture randomized to epidural or conventional analgesia. Anesthesiology. 2003;98:156–163.
66. , . Epidural analgesia reduces postoperative myocardial infarction: a meta-analysis. Anesth Analg. 2001;93:853–858.
67. , . Meta-analysis demonstrates statistically significant reduction in postoperative myocardial infarction with the use of thoracic epidural analgesia. Anesth Analg. 2003;97:919–920.
68. , . Effect of postoperative analgesia on morbidity and mortality following surgery in Medicare patients. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2004;29:525–533.
69. , . Perioperative myocardial ischemia in patients undergoing non-cardiac surgery-I: incidence and severity during the 4 day perioperative period. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1999;17:843–850.
70. , . Myocardial infarction after noncardiac surgery. Anesthesiology. 1998;88:572–578.
71. , . Platelet hyperreactivity and prognosis in survivors of myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med. 1990;322:1549–1554.
72. , . Does continuous peripheral nerve block provide superior pain control to opioids? A meta-analysis. Anesth Analg. 2006;102:248–257.
73. , . The effects of anesthesia and 100% oxygen on the functional residual capacity of the lungs. Anesthesiology. 1970;32:521–529.
74. . Postoperative recovery of pulmonary function. Anesth Analg. 1981;60:46–52.
75. , . Anaesthesia and postoperative analgesia in older patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: special considerations. Drugs Aging. 2003;20:347–360.
76. , . MATS: epidural anaesthesia and analgesia and outcome of major surgery: a randomized trial. Lancet. 2002;13:1276–1282.
77. , . Regional anesthesia as an alternative to general anesthesia for abdominal surgery in patients with severe pulmonary impairment. Am J Surg. 2004;188:603–605.
78. , , . The role of epidural anesthesia analgesia in surgical practice. Ann Surg. 2003;238:663–673.
79. , . Effect of postoperative analgesia on surgical outcome. Br J Anaesth. 2001;87:62–72.
80. , . Epidural versus general anesthesia for total hip arthroplasty in elderly patients. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 1980;24:279–287.
81. . The stress response to trauma and surgery. Br J Anaesth. 2000;85:109–117.
82. , . Continuous epidural blockade arrests the postoperative decrease in muscle protein fractional synthetic rate in surgical patients. Anesthesiology. 1997;86:1033–1040.
83. , . Epidural anesthesia and analgesia-effects on surgical stress responses and implications for postoperative nutrition. Clin Nutr. 2002;21:199–206.
84. , , . Epidural anesthesia and analgesia: their role in postoperative outcome. Anesthesiology. 1995;82:1474–1506.
85. , , . Spinal anesthesia versus general anesthesia for hip fracture repair: a longitudinal observation of 741 elderly patients during 2-year follow-up. Am J Orthop. 2000;29:25–35.
86. , . Relative importance of preoperative health status versus intraoperative factors in predicting postoperative adverse outcomes in geriatric surgical patients. J Am Ger Soc. 2001;49:1080.
87. , , . Retrospective evaluation of unanticipated admissions and readmissions after same day surgery and associated costs. J Clin Anesth. 2002;14:349–353.
88. , . Postoperative pain experience: results from a national survey suggest postoperative pain continues to be undermanaged. Anesth Analg. 2003;97:534–540.
89. , . A comparison of thoracic and lumbar epidural techniquesfor post-thoracoabdominal esophagectomy analgesia. Can J Anaesth. 1999;46:415–422.
90. , . Thoracic epidural anesthesia improves global and regional left ventricular function during stress-induced myocardial ischemia in patients with coronary artery disease. Anesth Analg. 1990;71:625–630.
91. , . Randomized controlled trial to examine the influence of thoracic epidural analgesia on postoperative ileus after laparoscopic sigmoid resection. Br J Surg. 1999;86:1292–1295.
92. . Modification of responses to surgery by neural blockade: clinical implication. In: , , eds. Neural Blockade in Clinical Anesthesia and Management of Pain. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott-Raven; 1998;129–175.
93. , . Effects of perioperative analgesic technique on the rate of recovery after colon surgery. Anesthesiology. 1995;83:757–765.
94. , . Preoperative percutaneous ilioinguinal and iliohypogastric nerve block with 0.5% bupivacaine for post-herniorrhaphy pain management in adults. Reg Anesth. 1990;15:130–133.
95. , . Peripheral nerve block and continuous catheter techniques. Anesthesiol Clin North Am. 2005;23:141–162.
96. . Multimodal approach to control postoperative pathophysiology and rehabilitation. Br J Anaesth. 1997;78:606–617.
97. , . A multimodal approach to control postoperative pathophysiology and rehabilitation in patients undergoing abdominalthoracic esophagectomy. Anesth Analg. 1998;86:228–234.
98. , . Multimodal perioperative management-combining thoracic epidural analgesia, forced mobilization, and oral nutrition-reduces hormonal and metabolic stress and improve convalescence after major urologic surgery. Anesth Analg. 2001;92:1954–1600.
99. , . A clinical pathway to accelerate recovery after colonic resection. Ann Surg. 2000;232:51–57.
100. , . Multimodal strategies to improve surgical outcome. Am J Surg. 2002;183:630–641.
101. . Structural changes in the normally aging cerebral cortex of primates. Prog Brain Res. 2002;136:455–465.
102. . Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 4th ed. Text revision. Washington DC: American Psychiatric Association; 2000.
103. . Influence of regional anesthesia on postoperative morbidity. Ann Chir Gynaecol. 1984;73:171–176.
104. , . Double-masked randomized trial comparing alternate combinations of intraoperative anesthesia and postoperative analgesia in abdominal aortic surgery. Anesthesiology. 2001;95:1054–1067.
105. . Regional versus general anesthesia for hip surgery in older patients: does the choice effect outcome? J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002;50:191–194.
106. , . Perioperative epidural analgesia and outcome after major abdominal surgery in high-risk patients. Anesth Analg. 2003;96:548–554.
107. , . Effect of postoperative analgesia on morbidity and mortality after total hip replacement surgery in Medicare patients. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2003;28:271–278.
108. , . Effects of perioperative central neuraxial analgesia on outcome after coronary artey bypass surgery: a meta-analysis. Anesthesiology. 2004;101:153–161.
109. , . Combined general and epidural anesthesia versus general anesthesia for major abdominal surgery: postanesthesia recovery characteristics. Reg Anesth. 1997;22:435–441.
110. , . Preemptive epidural analgesia and recovery from radical prostatectomy: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 1998;279:1076–1082.
111. , . Spinal anesthesia versus general anesthesia for hip fracture repair: a longitudinal observation of 741 elderly patients during 2-year follow-up. Am J Orthop. 2000;29:25–35.
112. , . Changes in mortality after total hip and knee arthroplasty over a ten-year period. Anesth Analg. 1995;80:242–248.
113. , . Interscalene block for pain relief after shoulder surgery: a retrospective randomized study. Clin Orthop. 1994;304:22–24.
114. . The infraclavicular brachial plexus block by the coracoid approach is clinically effective: an observational study of 150 patients. Can J Anaesth. 2003;50:253–257.
115. , . Extent of blockade with various approaches to the lumbar plexus. Anesth Analg. 1989;68:243–248.
116. , . Femoral nerve block: single injection versus continous infusion for total knee arthroplasty. Reg Anesth. 1996;21:292–297.
117. , . The effects of three different approaches on the onset time of sciatic nerve blocks with 0.75% ropivacaine. Anesth Analg. 2004;98:242–247.
118. , . Safety an efficacy of the popliteal fossa nerve block when utilized for foot and ankle surgery. Foot Ankle Int. 2002;23:394–399.
119. , . A prospective, randomized comparison of preoperative and continuous balanced epidural or paravertebral bupivacaine on post-thoracotomy apin, pulmonary function and stress responses. Br J Anaesth. 1999;83:387–392.