Skip to main content Accessibility help
×
Hostname: page-component-8448b6f56d-dnltx Total loading time: 0 Render date: 2024-04-21T11:56:31.468Z Has data issue: false hasContentIssue false

11 - Kangaroo Island

Published online by Cambridge University Press:  25 July 2017

Robert P. Bourman
Affiliation:
University of Wollongong
Colin V. Murray-Wallace
Affiliation:
University of Wollongong
Nick Harvey
Affiliation:
University of Adelaide
Get access

Summary

Introduction

Kangaroo Island, Australia's third-largest island after Tasmania and Melville Island, is approximately 140 km long (east-west) and 55 km wide (north-south), with a coastline of some 458 km, and a land area of approximately 3890 km2. Coastal cliffs that developed on pre-Cenozoic bedrock, Paleogene-Neogene limestones and Pleistocene aeolianite (dune limestone) comprise approximately 66% of the island's coastline, while the remaining 34% of the coastline consists of sandy beaches. The island has 218 beaches, which average only 700 m in length. Kangaroo Island is separated from the mainland by Backstairs Passage, a stretch of water about 14 km wide between Dudley Peninsula, on the easternmost portion of the island, and Fleurieu Peninsula, on the mainland. In places, Backstairs Passage is an oversteepened bedrock depression formed by glacial erosion during the Early Permian (299 to 290 Ma). In the central portion of the passage, water depth exceeds 40 m; and closer to the island's coast, approximately 2 km to the east of Cape St Albans, it exceeds 80 m (Figure 11.1). In this region, an elongate bedrock depression trends in a northwesterly direction. The north coast of the island is separated from southernmost Yorke Peninsula by Investigator Strait, a stretch of water 50 km long and less than 55 m deep on the easternmost Lincoln Shelf.

With its long axis trending east-west, the island attenuates the impact of high-energy swell waves on Gulf St Vincent. The northwestern coastline of the island is bounded by the Lincoln Shelf, and its southern and eastern coastlines are bordered by the Lacepede Shelf (Figure 11.1). The edge of the continental shelf is approximately 60 km south of the island, where a spectacular series of submarine canyons (Murray Canyons Group) occurs. Some of these are among the largest in the world and remain active conduits for the transportation of continental shelf sediment to the deep sea. In contrast, the west-facing coastline between Cape Borda and Cape du Couedic is bounded by a narrow shelf, less than 10 km wide.

Regional geological setting

The regional landscape of Kangaroo Island comprises a weathered, partially dissected plateau surface mantled by deeply weathered regolith, including ferricrete developed on pre-Cenozoic bedrock. The plateau surface has been differentially uplifted and tilted with higher relief (250 m APSL) in the northwest of the island compared with the southeast, where the plateau surface is 50 m APSL.

Type
Chapter
Information
Publisher: The University of Adelaide Press
Print publication year: 2016

Access options

Get access to the full version of this content by using one of the access options below. (Log in options will check for institutional or personal access. Content may require purchase if you do not have access.)

Save book to Kindle

To save this book to your Kindle, first ensure coreplatform@cambridge.org is added to your Approved Personal Document E-mail List under your Personal Document Settings on the Manage Your Content and Devices page of your Amazon account. Then enter the ‘name’ part of your Kindle email address below. Find out more about saving to your Kindle.

Note you can select to save to either the @free.kindle.com or @kindle.com variations. ‘@free.kindle.com’ emails are free but can only be saved to your device when it is connected to wi-fi. ‘@kindle.com’ emails can be delivered even when you are not connected to wi-fi, but note that service fees apply.

Find out more about the Kindle Personal Document Service.

Available formats
×

Save book to Dropbox

To save content items to your account, please confirm that you agree to abide by our usage policies. If this is the first time you use this feature, you will be asked to authorise Cambridge Core to connect with your account. Find out more about saving content to Dropbox.

Available formats
×

Save book to Google Drive

To save content items to your account, please confirm that you agree to abide by our usage policies. If this is the first time you use this feature, you will be asked to authorise Cambridge Core to connect with your account. Find out more about saving content to Google Drive.

Available formats
×