1. Eichholzer, M, Bernasconi, F, Jordan, P et al. (2005) [Nutrition in Switzerland 2002 – results of the Swiss Health Survey]. Praxis (Bern 1994) 94, 1713–1721.
2. Golay, A & Ybarra, J (2005) Link between obesity and type 2 diabetes. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 19, 649–663.
3. Kopelman, PG (2000) Obesity as a medical problem. Nature 404, 635–643.
4. Mathew, B, Francis, L, Kayalar, A et al. (2008) Obesity: effects on cardiovascular disease and its diagnosis. J Am Board Fam Med 21, 562–568.
5. Calle, EE, Rodriguez, C, Walker-Thurmond, K et al. (2003) Overweight, obesity, and mortality from cancer in a prospectively studied cohort of US adults. N Engl J Med 348, 1625–1638.
6. Pischon, T, Boeing, H, Hoffmann, K et al. (2008) General and abdominal adiposity and risk of death in Europe. N Engl J Med 359, 2105–2120.
7. Adair, LS (2008) Child and adolescent obesity: epidemiology and developmental perspectives. Physiol Behav 94, 8–16.
8. Mohler-Kuo, M, Wydler, H, Zellweger, U et al. (2006) Differences in health status and health behaviour among young Swiss adults between 1993 and 2003. Swiss Med Wkly 136, 464–472.
9. Shaw, J (2007) Epidemiology of childhood type 2 diabetes and obesity. Pediatr Diabetes 8, 7–15.
10. Mikkila, V, Rasanen, L, Raitakari, OT et al. (2004) Longitudinal changes in diet from childhood into adulthood with respect to risk of cardiovascular diseases: the cardiovascular risk in Young Finns Study. Eur J Clin Nutr 58, 1038–1045.
11. Must, A (1996) Morbidity and mortality associated with elevated body weight in children and adolescents. Am J Clin Nutr 63, S445–S447.
12. Stubbs, CO & Lee, AJ (2004) The obesity epidemic: both energy intake and physical activity contribute. Med J Aust 181, 489–491.
14. Suris, JC, Michaud, PA, Chossis, I et al. (2006) Towards a sedentary society: trends in adolescent sport practice in Switzerland (1993–2002). J Adolesc Health 39, 132–134.
15. Haines, J & Neumark-Sztainer, D (2006) Prevention of obesity and eating disorders: a consideration of shared risk factors. Health Educ Res 21, 770–782.
16. Tang-Peronard, JL & Heitmann, BL (2008) Stigmatization of obese children and adolescents, the importance of gender. Obes Rev 9, 522–534.
18.World Health Organization (2003) Introduction. In Diet, Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases. WHO Technical Report Series no. 916. Geneva: WHO.
19. Neumark-Sztainer, D, Story, M, Hannan, PJ et al. (2002) Overweight status and eating patterns among adolescents: where do youths stand in comparison with the Healthy People 2010 objectives? Am J Public Health 92, 844–851.
20. Kimmons, J, Gillespie, C, Seymour, J et al. (2009) Fruit and vegetable intake among adolescents and adults in the United States: percentage meeting individualized recommendations. Medscape J Med 11, 26.
21. Guenther, PM, Dodd, KW, Reedy, J et al. (2006) Most Americans eat much less than recommended amounts of fruits and vegetables. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 1371–1379.
22. Deforche, BI, De Bourdeaudhuij, IM & Tanghe, AP (2006) Attitude toward physical activity in normal-weight, overweight and obese adolescents. J Adolesc Health 38, 560–568.
23. Kromeyer-Hauschild, K, Wabitsch, M, Kunze, D et al. (2001) Percentiles of body mass index in children and adolescents evaluated from different regional German studies. Monatsschr Kinderheilkd 149, 807–818.
26. Goodman, E & Whitaker, RC (2002) A prospective study of the role of depression in the development and persistence of adolescent obesity. Pediatrics 110, 497–504.
27. Kessler, RC, Andrews, G, Mroczek, D et al. (1998) The World Health Organization’s Composite International Diagnostic Interview Short From (CIDI-SF). Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 7, 171–185.
28. Fasting, MH, Nilsen, TI, Holmen, TL et al. (2008) Life style related to blood pressure and body weight in adolescence: cross sectional data from the Young-HUNT study, Norway. BMC Public Health 8, 111.
29. Croezen, S, Visscher, TL, Ter Bogt, NC et al. (2009) Skipping breakfast, alcohol consumption and physical inactivity as risk factors for overweight and obesity in adolescents: results of the E-MOVO project. Eur J Clin Nutr 63, 405–412.
30. Schroder, H, Morales-Molina, JA, Bermejo, S et al. (2007) Relationship of abdominal obesity with alcohol consumption at population scale. Eur J Nutr 46, 369–376.
31. Gordon-Larsen, P, Adair, LS, Nelson, MC et al. (2004) Five-year obesity incidence in the transition period between adolescence and adulthood: the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health. Am J Clin Nutr 80, 569–575.
32. Kumanyika, SK (2008) Environmental influences on childhood obesity: ethnic and cultural influences in context. Physiol Behav 94, 61–70.
33. Sweeting, HN (2008) Gendered dimensions of obesity in childhood and adolescence. Nutr J 14, 7.
34. Austin, PC & Tu, JV (2004) Automated variable selection methods for logistic regression produced unstable models for predicting acute myocardial infarction mortality. J Clin Epidemiol 57, 1138–1146.
35. Austin, PC & Tu, JV (2004) Bootstrap methods for developing predictive models. Am Stat 58, 131–137.
36. Leyk, D, Ruther, T, Wunderlich, M et al. (2008) Sporting activity, prevalence of overweight, and risk factors: cross-sectional study of more than 12 500 participants aged 16 to 25 years. Dtsch Arztebl Int 105, 793–800.
37. Garcia-Alvarez, A, Serra-Majem, L, Ribas-Barba, L et al. (2007) Obesity and overweight trends in Catalonia, Spain (1992-2003): gender and socio-economic determinants. Public Health Nutr 10, 1368–1378.
38. Wardle, J, Haase, AM, Steptoe, A et al. (2004) Gender differences in food choice: the contribution of health beliefs and dieting. Ann Behav Med 27, 107–116.
39. Kiefer, I, Rathmanner, T & Kunz, M (2005) Eating and dieting differences in men and women. J Mens Health Gender 2, 194–201.
40. Neumark-Sztainer, D, Hannan, PJ, Story, M et al. (2004) Weight-control behaviors among adolescent girls and boys: implications for dietary intake. J Am Diet Assoc 104, 913–920.
41. Lytle, LA & Kubik, MY (2003) Nutritional issues for adolescents. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 17, 177–189.
42. Larson, NI, Neumark-Sztainer, D, Harnack, L et al. (2009) Calcium and dairy intake: longitudinal trends during the transition to young adulthood and correlates of calcium intake. J Nutr Educ Behav 41, 254–260.
43. te Velde, SJ, Twisk, JW & Brug, J (2007) Tracking of fruit and vegetable consumption from adolescence into adulthood and its longitudinal association with overweight. Br J Nutr 98, 431–438.
44. Tohill, BC, Seymour, J, Serdula, M et al. (2004) What epidemiologic studies tell us about the relationship between fruit and vegetable consumption and body weight. Nutr Rev 62, 365–374.
45. Heber, D (2004) Vegetables, fruits and phytoestrogens in the prevention of diseases. J Postgrad Med 50, 145–149.
46. Bazzano, LA (2006) The high cost of not consuming fruits and vegetables. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 1364–1368.
47. Kristjansdottir, AG, Thorsdottir, I, De Bourdeauhuij, I et al. (2006) Determinants of fruit and vegetable intake among 11-year-old schoolchildren in a country of traditionally low fruit and vegetable consumption. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 3, 41.
48. Monsivais, P & Drewnowski, A (2007) The rising cost of low-energy-density foods. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 2071–2076.
49. Bouchard, C (2008) Gene–environment interactions in the etiology of obesity: defining the fundamentals. Obesity (Silver Spring) 16, S5–S10.
50. Cavadini, C, Decarli, B, Grin, J et al. (2000) Food habits and sport activity during adolescence: differences between athletic and non-athletic teenagers in Switzerland. Eur J Clin Nutr 54, S16–S20.
51. Robbins, LB, Sikorskii, A, Hamel, LM et al. (2009) Gender comparisons of perceived benefits of and barriers to physical activity in middle school youth. Res Nurs Health 32, 163–176.
52. Gibson, GJ (2000) Obesity, respiratory function and breathlessness. Thorax 55, Suppl. 1, S41–S44.
53. Ekelund, U, Neovius, M, Linne, Y et al. (2005) Associations between physical activity and fat mass in adolescents: the Stockholm Weight Development Study. Am J Clin Nutr 81, 355–360.
54. McMurray, RG, Ward, DS, Elder, JP et al. (2008) Do overweight girls overreport physical activity? Am J Health Behav 32, 538–546.
55. Neumark-Sztainer, D & Hannan, PJ (2000) Weight-related behaviors among adolescent girls and boys – results from a national survey. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 154, 569–577.
56. Kuchler, F & Variyam, JN (2003) Mistakes were made: misperception as a barrier to reducing overweight. Int J Obes 27, 856–861.
57. Paeratakul, S, White, MA, Williamson, DA et al. (2002) Sex, race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and BMI in relation to self-perception of overweight. Obes Res 10, 345–350.
58. Paccaud, F, Wietlisbach, V & Rickenbach, M (2001) Body mass index: comparing mean values and prevalence rates from telephone and examination surveys. Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique 49, 33–40.
59. Fonseca, H, de Matos, MG, Guerra, A et al. (2009) Emotional, behavioural and social correlates of missing values for BMI. Arch Dis Child 94, 104–109.