1. Nicolaidis, S (1998) Physiology of thirst. In Hydration Throughout Life, p. 247 [MJ Arnaud, editor]. Montrouge: John Libbey Eurotext.
2. Williams, S, Krueger, N, Davids, M et al. (2007) Effect of fluid intake on skin physiology: distinct differences between drinking mineral water and tap water. Int J Cosmet Sci 29, 131–138.
3. Vogelaere, P & Pereira, C (2005) Thermoregulation and aging. Rev Port Cardiol 24, 747–761.
4. Szinnai, G, Schachinger, H, Arnaud, MJ et al. (2005) Effect of water deprivation on cognitive-motor performance in healthy men and women. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 289, R275–R280.
5. Murakami, K, Sasaki, S, Okubo, H et al. (2007) Association between dietary fiber, water and magnesium intake and functional constipation among young Japanese women. Eur J Clin Nutr 61, 616–622.
6. Schoen, EJ (1957) Minimum urine total solute concentration in response to water loading in normal men. J Appl Physiol 10, 267–270.
7. Yang, M & Chun, OK (2015) Consumptions of plain water, moisture in foods and beverages, and total water in relation to dietary micronutrient intakes and serum nutrient profiles among US adults. Public Health Nutr 18, 1180–1186.
8. Lee, KW, Shin, D & Song, WO (2016) Total water intake from beverages and foods is associated with energy intake and eating behaviors in Korean adults. Nutrients 8, E617.
9. Ma, G, Zhang, Q, Liu, A et al. (2012) Fluid intake of adults in four Chinese cities. Nutr Rev 70, Suppl. 2, S105–S110.
10. Tani, Y, Asakura, K, Sasaki, S et al. (2015) The influence of season and air temperature on water intake by food groups in a sample of free-living Japanese adults. Eur J Clin Nutr 69, 907–913.
11. Guelinckx, I, Ferreira-Pêgo, C, Moreno, LA et al. (2015) Intake of water and different beverages in adults across 13 countries. Eur J Nutr 54, Suppl. 2, 45–55.
12. World Health Organization (2003) Domestic Water Quantity, Service Level and Health. Geneva: WHO.
13. Sontrop, JM, Dixon, SN, Garg, AX et al. (2013) Association between water intake, chronic kidney disease, and cardiovascular disease: a cross-sectional analysis of NHANES data. Am J Nephrol 37, 434–442.
14. Chan, J, Knutsen, SF, Blix, GG et al. (2002) Water, other fluids, and fatal coronary heart disease: the Adventist Health Study. Am J Epidemiol 155, 827–833.
15. Wu, LW, Chen, WL, Liaw, FY et al. (2016) Association between fluid intake and kidney function, and survival outcomes analysis: a nationwide population-based study. BMJ Open 6, e010708.
16. Popkin, BM, D’Anci, KE & Rosenberg, IH (2010) Water, hydration, and health. Nutr Rev 68, 439–458.
17. Callegaro, CC, Moraes, RS, Negrao, CE et al. (2007) Acute water ingestion increases arterial blood pressure in hypertensive and normotensive subjects. J Hum Hypertens 21, 564–570.
18. Schroeder, C, Bush, VE, Norcliffe, LJ et al. (2002) Water drinking acutely improves orthostatic tolerance in healthy subjects. Circulation 106, 2806–2811.
19. Lu, CC, Diedrich, A, Tung, CS et al. (2003) Water ingestion as prophylaxis against syncope. Circulation 108, 2660–2665.
20. Khan, SQ, Dhillon, OS, O’Brien, RJ et al. (2007) C-terminal provasopressin (copeptin) as a novel and prognostic marker in acute myocardial infarction: Leicester Acute Myocardial Infarction Peptide (LAMP) study. Circulation 115, 2103–2110.
21. Leurs, LJ, Schouten, LJ, Goldbohm, RA et al. (2010) Total fluid and specific beverage intake and mortality due to IHD and stroke in the Netherlands Cohort Study. Br J Nutr 104, 1212–1221.
22. Palmer, SC, Wong, G, Iff, S et al. (2014) Fluid intake and all-cause mortality, cardiovascular mortality and kidney function: a population-based longitudinal cohort study. Nephrol Dial Transplant 29, 1377–1384.
23. Jang, S, Cheon, C, Jang, BH et al. (2016) Relationship between water intake and metabolic/heart diseases: based on Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Osong Public Health Res Perspect 7, 289–295.
24. Tamakoshi, A, Ozasa, K, Fujino, Y et al. (2013) Cohort profile of the Japan Collaborative Cohort Study at final follow-up. J Epidemiol 23, 227–232.
25. Willett, WC & Stampfer, MJ (1986) Total energy intake: implication for epidemiological analysis. Am J Epidemiol 124, 17–27.
26. Date, C, Fukui, M, Yamamoto, A et al. (2005) Reproducibility and validity of a self-administered food frequency questionnaire used in JACC Study. J Epidemiol 15, Suppl. 1, S9–S23.
27. Beijering, RJ, Gips, CH, Huizenga, JR et al. (1997) Whole blood and plasma water in health and disease: longitudinal and transverse observations and correlations with several different hematological and clinicochemical parameters. Clin Chim Acta 258, 59–68.
28. Koenig, W, Sund, M, Filipiak, B et al. (1998) Plasma viscosity and the risk of coronary heart disease: results from the MONICA-Augsburg Cohort Study, 1984 to 1992. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 18, 768–772.
29. Kant, AK, Graubard, BI & Atchison, EA (2009) Intakes of plain water, moisture in foods and beverages, and total water in the adult US population-nutritional, meal pattern, and body weight correlates: National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys 1999–2006. Am J Clin Nutr 90, 655–663.