1. Wong, ND (2014) Epidemiological studies of CHD and the evolution of preventive cardiology. Nat Rev Cardiol 11, 276–289.
2. Keys, A, Fidanza, F, Scardi, V et al. (1954) Studies on serum cholesterol and other characteristics of clinically healthy men in Naples. AMA Arch Intern Med 93, 328–336.
3. De Souza, RJ, Mente, A, Maroleanu, A et al. (2015) Intake of saturated and trans unsaturated fatty acids and risk of all cause mortality, cardiovascular disease, and type 2 diabetes: systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. BMJ 351, h3978.
4. Harcombe, Z, Baker, JS, DiNicolantonio, JJ et al. (2016) Evidence from randomised controlled trials does not support current dietary fat guidelines: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Open Heart 3, e000409.
5. Harcombe, Z, Baker, JS & Davies, B (2017) Evidence from prospective cohort studies does not support current dietary fat guidelines: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Sports Med 51, 1743–1749.
6. Nettleton, JA, Brouwer, IA, Geleijnse, JM et al. (2017) Saturated fat consumption and risk of coronary heart disease and ischemic stroke: a science update. Ann Nutr Metab 70, 26–33.
7. Chowdhury, R, Warnakula, S, Kunutsor, S et al. (2014) Association of dietary, circulating, and supplement fatty acids with coronary risk: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med 160, 398–406.
8. Skeaff, CM & Miller, J (2009) Dietary fat and coronary heart disease: summary of evidence from prospective cohort and randomised controlled trials. Ann Nutr Metab 55, 173–201.
9. Li, Y, Hruby, A, Bernstein, AM et al. (2015) Saturated fats compared with unsaturated fats and sources of carbohydrates in relation to risk of coronary heart disease: a prospective cohort study. J Am Coll Cardiol 66, 1538–1548.
10. Siri-Tarino, PW, Sun, Q, Hu, FB et al. (2010) Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease. Am J Clin Nutr 91, 535–546.
11. Mensink, RP (2016) Effects of Saturated Fatty Acids on Serum Lipids and Lipoproteins: A Systematic Review and Regression Analysis. Geneva: WHO.
12. World Health Organization (2003) Diet, Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases: Report of a Joint WHO/FAO Expert Consultation. WHO Technical Report Series no. 916. Geneva: WHO.
13. Popkin, BM & Du, S (2003) Dynamics of the nutrition transition toward the animal foods sector in China and its implications: a worried perspective. J Nutr 133, 11 Suppl. 2, 3898S–3906S.
14. Popkin, BM (2006) Global nutrition dynamics: the world is shifting rapidly toward a diet linked with noncommunicable diseases. Am J Clin Nutr 84, 289–298.
15. Yoon, MO, Kim, K, Hwang, J-Y et al. (2014) Development of a fatty acids database using the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey data. J Nutr Health 47, 435–442.
16. Kweon, S, Kim, Y, Jang, M-J et al. (2014) Data resource profile: the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES). Int J Epidemiol 43, 69–77.
17. Rural Development Administration, National Rural Resources Development Institute (2006) Food Composition Table, 7th ed. Suwon, Republic of Korea: NRRDI.
18. Rural Development Administration, National Rural Resources Development Institute (2011) Food Composition Table, 8th ed. Suwon, Republic of Korea: NRRDI.
19. US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Nutrient Data Laboratory (2012)
USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 25. Beltsville, MD: USDA.
20. Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention (2016) Korea Health Statistics 2015: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES VI-3). Sejong, Republic of Korea: MoHW.
21. World Health Organization (2000) The Asia-Pacific Perspective: Redefining Obesity and Its Treatment. Sydney: Health Communications Australia.
22. Grundy, SM, Cleeman, JI, Daniels, SR et al. (2005) Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome: an American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute scientific statement. Circulation 112, 2735–2752.
23. Popkin, BM (1994) The nutrition transition in low‐income countries: an emerging crisis. Nutr Rev 52, 285–298.
24. Popkin, BM (2004) The nutrition transition: an overview of world patterns of change. Nutr Rev 62, 7 Pt 2, S140–S143.
25. Keys, A (1953) Atherosclerosis: a problem in newer public health. Atherosclerosis 1, 19.
26. McGuire, , S (2011) US Department of Agriculture and US Department of Health and Human Services, Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office, January 2011. Adv Nutr 2, 293–294.
27. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (2004) Trends in intake of energy and macronutrients – United States, 1971–2000. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 53, 80–82.
28. Wright, JD & Wang, C-Y (2010) Trends in intake of energy and macronutrients in adults from 1999–2000 through 2007–2008. NCHS Data Brief issue 49, 1–8.
29. National Center for Health Statistics (2017) Health, United States, 2016: With Chartbook on Long-Term Trends in Health. Hyattsville, MD: NCHS.
30. Harcombe, Z (2017) Dietary fat guidelines have no evidence base: where next for public health nutritional advice? Br J Sports Med 51, 769–774.
31. Fryar, CD, Wright, JD, Eberhardt, MS et al. (2012) Trends in nutrient intakes and chronic health conditions among Mexican-American adults, a 25-year profile: United States, 1982–2006. Natl Health Stat Report issue 50, 1–20.
32. Barclay, AW, Petocz, P, McMillan-Price, J et al. (2008) Glycemic index, glycemic load, and chronic disease risk – a meta-analysis of observational studies. Am J Clin Nutr 87, 627–637.
33. Liu, S, Willett, WC, Stampfer, MJ et al. (2000) A prospective study of dietary glycemic load, carbohydrate intake, and risk of coronary heart disease in US women. Am J Clin Nutr 71, 1455–1461.
34. Hooper, L, Martin, N, Abdelhamid, A et al. (2015) Reduction in saturated fat intake for cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev issue 6, CD011737.
35. Mozaffarian, D, Micha, R & Wallace, S (2010) Effects on coronary heart disease of increasing polyunsaturated fat in place of saturated fat: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. PLoS Med 7, e1000252.
36. Jakobsen, MU, O’Reilly, EJ, Heitmann, BL et al. (2009) Major types of dietary fat and risk of coronary heart disease: a pooled analysis of 11 cohort studies. Am J Clin Nutr 89, 1425–1432.
37. Hu, FB, Stampfer, MJ, Manson, JE et al. (1997) Dietary fat intake and the risk of coronary heart disease in women. New Engl J Med 337, 1491–1499.
38. Grundy, SM & Vega, GL (1988) Plasma cholesterol responsiveness to saturated fatty acids. Am J Clin Nutr 47, 822–824.
39. Katan, MB, Zock, PL & Mensink, RP (1995) Dietary oils, serum lipoproteins, and coronary heart disease.
Am J Clin Nutr 61
, 6 Suppl., 1368S–1373S.
40. Popkin, BM (2001) Nutrition in transition: the changing global nutrition challenge. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 10, Suppl, S13–S18.
41. Su, C, Zhao, J, Wu, Y et al. (2017) Temporal trends in dietary macronutrient intakes among adults in rural China from 1991 to 2011: findings from the CHNS. Nutrients 9, 227.