1. Rust, P & Ekmekcioglu, C (2017) Impact of salt intake on the pathogenesis and treatment of hypertension. Adv Exp Med Biol 956, 61–84.
2. Guo, L, Liu, F, Chen, S et al. (2016) Common variants in the Na+-coupled bicarbonate transporter genes and salt sensitivity of blood pressure: the GenSalt study. J Hum Hypertens 30, 543–548.
3. Ohta, Y, Kimura, Y, Kitaoka, C et al. (2017) Blood pressure control status and relationship between salt intake and lifestyle including diet in hypertensive outpatients treated at a general hospital. Clin Exp Hypertens 39, 29–33.
4. Mancia, G, Oparil, S, Whelton, PK et al. (2017) The technical report on sodium intake and cardiovascular disease in low- and middle-income countries by the joint working group of the World Heart Federation, the European Society of Hypertension and the European Public Health Association. Eur Heart J 38, 712–719.
5. Mamudu, HM, Paul, TK, Wang, L et al. (2017) Association between multiple modifiable risk factors of cardiovascular disease and hypertension among asymptomatic patients in Central Appalachia. South Med J 110, 90–96.
6. Koch, E, Romero, T, Romero, CX et al. (2010) Impact of education, income and chronic disease risk factors on mortality of adults: does ‘a pauper-rich paradox’ exist in Latin American societies? Public Health 124, 39–48.
7. Zhang, Q, Mahapatra, T, Huang, F et al. (2017) Association between anthropometric measures and indicators for hypertension control among Kazakh-Chinese hypertension patients in Xinjiang, China: results from a cross-sectional study. PLoS One 12, e0170959.
8. Chobanian, AV, Bakris, GL, Black, HR et al. (2003) Seventh report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. Hypertension 42, 1206–1252.
9. World Health Organization (2013) Global Action Plan for the Prevention and Control of Noncommunicable Diseases 2013–2020. Geneva: WHO.
10. World Health Organization (2014) World Heart Day 2014: Salt Reduction Saves Lives. Geneva: WHO.
11. World Health Organization (2015) Questions and Answers on Hypertension. Geneva: WHO.
12. He, FJ, Li, J & Macgregor, GA (2013) Effect of longer term modest salt reduction on blood pressure: Cochrane systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised trials. BMJ 346, f1325.
13. Celis-Morales, C, Salas, C, Alduhishy, A et al. (2016) Socio-demographic patterns of physical activity and sedentary behaviour in Chile: results from the National Health Survey 2009–2010. J Public Health (Oxf) 38, e98–e105.
14. Celis-Morales, C, Salas, C, Alvarez, C et al. (2015) Higher physical activity levels are associated with lower prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors in Chile. Rev Med Chil 143, 1435–1443.
15. Celis-Morales, CA, Perez-Bravo, F, Ibanes, L et al. (2011) Insulin resistance in Chileans of European and indigenous descent: evidence for an ethnicity × environment interaction. PloS One 6, e24690.
16. Labraña, AM, Durán, E, Martínez, MA et al. (2017) Effects of a lower body weight or waist circumference on cardiovascular risk: findings from the Chilean health survey. Rev Med Chil 145, 585–594.
17. Ministerio de Salud de Chile (2010)
Encuesta Nacional de Salud 2009–2010
. Santiago: MINSAL.
18. Ministerio de Salud de Chile (2017) Encuesta Nacional de Salud 2016–2017. Santiago: MINSAL.
19. Miranda, J, Herrera, VM, Chirinos, JA et al. (2013) Major cardiovascular risk factors in Latin America: a comparison with the United States. The Latin American Consortium of Studies in Obesity (LASO). PLoS One 8, e54056.
20. von Elm, E, Altman, DG, Egger, M et al. (2007) Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies. BMJ 335, 806–808.
21. World Health Organization (1998) Obesity: Preventing and Managing the Global Epidemic. Report of a WHO Consultation. WHO Technical Report Series no. 894. Geneva: WHO.
22. Chobanian, AV, Bakris, GL, Black, HR et al. (2003) The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure: the JNC 7 report. JAMA 289, 2560–2572.
23. US Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute et al. (2004) The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/guidelines/jnc7full.pdf (accessed January 2019).
24. American Diabetes Association (1997) Report of the expert committee on the diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 20, 1183–1197.
25. Alberti, KG, Eckel, RH, Grundy, SM et al. (2009) Harmonizing the metabolic syndrome: a joint interim statement of the International Diabetes Federation Task Force on Epidemiology and Prevention; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; American Heart Association; World Heart Federation; International Atherosclerosis Society; and International Association for the Study of Obesity. Circulation 120, 1640–1645.
26. Saunders, JB, Aasland, OG, Babor, TF et al. (1993) Development of the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT): WHO Collaborative Project on Early Detection of Persons with Harmful Alcohol Consumption-II. Addiction 88, 791–804.
27. Alvarado, ME, Garmendia, ML, Acuña, G et al. (2009) Validez y confiabilidad de la versión chilena del Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT). Rev Med Chil 137, 1463–1468.
28. Tanaka, T, Okamura, T, Miura, K et al. (2002) A simple method to estimate populational 24-h urinary sodium and potassium excretion using a casual urine specimen. J Hum Hypertens 16, 97–103.
29. World Health Organization (2009) Global Physical Activity Questionnaire: GPAQ version 2.0. Geneva: WHO.
30. The IPAQ Group (2004) Guidelines for Data Processing and Analysis of the International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ) – Short Form, Version 2.0. www.ipaq.ki.se (accessed July 2015).
31. Zhao, F, Zhang, P, Zhang, L et al. (2015) Consumption and sources of dietary salt in family members in Beijing. Nutrients 7, 2719–2730.
32. Drewnowski, A, Henderson, SA, Driscoll, A et al. (1996) Salt taste perceptions and preferences are unrelated to sodium consumption in healthy older adults. J Am Diet Assoc 96, 471–474.
33. Liu, Z (2009) Dietary sodium and the incidence of hypertension in the Chinese population: a review of nationwide surveys. Am J Hypertens 22, 929–933.
34. Meneton, P, Lafay, L, Tard, A et al. (2009) Dietary sources and correlates of sodium and potassium intakes in the French general population. Eur J Clin Nutr 63, 1169–1175.
35. Soleimani, M (2011) Dietary fructose, salt absorption and hypertension in metabolic syndrome: towards a new paradigm. Acta Physiol (Oxf) 201, 55–62.
36. Ribic, CH, Zakotnik, JM, Vertnik, L et al. (2010) Salt intake of the Slovene population assessed by 24 h urinary sodium excretion. Public Health Nutr 13, 1803–1809.
37. Thuesen, BH, Toft, U, Buhelt, LP et al. (2015) Estimated daily salt intake in relation to blood pressure and blood lipids: the role of obesity. Eur J Prev Cardiol 22, 1567–1574.
38. Takahashi, N, Tanabe, K, Adachi, T et al. (2015) Awareness of salt restriction is not reflected in the actual salt intake in Japanese hypertensive patients. Clin Exp Hypertens 37, 388–392.
39. Takase, H, Sugiura, T, Kimura, G et al. (2015) Dietary sodium consumption predicts future blood pressure and incident hypertension in the Japanese normotensive general population. J Am Heart Assoc 4, e001959.
40. Johnson, C, Mohan, S, Rogers, K et al. (2017) Mean dietary salt intake in urban and rural areas in India: a population survey of 1395 persons. J Am Heart Assoc 6, e004547.
41. Mozaffarian, D, Fahimi, S, Singh, GM et al. (2014) Global sodium consumption and death from cardiovascular causes. New Engl J Med 371, 624–634.
42. Aburto, NJ, Ziolkovska, A, Hooper, L et al. (2013) Effect of lower sodium intake on health: systematic review and meta-analyses. BMJ 346, f1326.
43. Mente, A, O’Donnell, MJ, Rangarajan, S et al. (2014) Association of urinary sodium and potassium excretion with blood pressure. N Engl J Med 371, 601–611.
44. Cogswell, ME, Zhang, Z, Carriquiry, AL et al. (2012) Sodium and potassium intakes among US adults: NHANES 2003–2008. Am J Clin Nutr 96, 647–657.