2. Seligman, HK, Lyles, C, Marshall, MB et al. (2015) A pilot food bank intervention featuring diabetes-appropriate food improved glycemic control among clients in three states. Health Aff (Millwood) 34, 1956–1963.
3. Duffy, P, Zizza, C, Jacoby, J et al. (2009) Diet quality is low among female food pantry clients in Eastern Alabama. J Nutr Educ Behav 41, 414–419.
4. Simmet, A, Depa, J, Tinnemann, P et al. (2017) The dietary quality of food pantry users: a systematic review of existing literature. J Acad Nutr Diet 117, 563–576.
5. Robaina, KA & Martin, KS (2013) Food insecurity, poor diet quality, and obesity among food pantry participants in Hartford, CT. J Nutr Educ Behav 45, 159–164.
6. Bell, M, Wilbur, L & Smith, C (1998) Nutritional status of persons using a local emergency food system program in Middle America. J Am Diet Assoc 98, 1031–1033.
7. Lenhart, NM & Read, MH (1989) Demographic profile and nutrient intake assessment of individuals using emergency food programs. J Am Diet Assoc 89, 1269–1272.
8. Nanney, MS, Grannon, KY, Cureton, C et al. (2016) Application of the Healthy Eating Index-2010 to the hunger relief system. Public Health Nutr 19, 2906–2914.
9. Ross, M, Campbell, EC & Webb, KL (2013) Recent trends in the nutritional quality of food banks’ food and beverage inventory: case studies of six California food banks. J Hunger Environ Nutr 8, 294–309.
10. King, RP, Warren, C, Cureton, C et al. (2016) How healthy is hunger relief food? Am J Agric Econ 98, 533–548.
11. Seidel, M, Laquatra, I, Woods, M et al. (2015) Applying a nutrient-rich foods index algorithm to address nutrient content of food bank food. J Acad Nutr Diet 115, 695–700.
13. Katz, DL, Njike, VY, Rhee, LQ et al. (2010) Performance characteristics of NuVal and the Overall Nutritional Quality Index (ONQI). Am J Clin Nutr 91, issue 4, 1102S–1108S.
14. Hoisington, A, Manore, MM & Raab, C (2011) Nutritional quality of emergency foods. J Am Diet Assoc 111, 573–576.
15. Guenther, PM, Casavale, KO, Reedy, J et al. (2013) Update of the Healthy Eating Index: HEI-2010. J Acad Nutr Diet 113, 569–580.
16. Guenther, PM, Reedy, J & Krebs-Smith, SM (2008) Development of the Healthy Eating Index-2005. J Am Diet Assoc 108, 1896–1901.
17. Guenther, PM, Reedy, J, Krebs-Smith, SM et al. (2008) Evaluation of the Healthy Eating Index-2005. J Am Diet Assoc 108, 1854–1864.
18. Jahns, L, Scheett, AJ, Johnson, LK et al. (2016) Diet quality of items advertised in supermarket sales circulars compared to diets of the US population, as assessed by the Healthy Eating Index-2010. J Acad Nutr Diet 116, 115–122.e1.
19. Reedy, J, Krebs-Smith, SM & Bosire, C (2010) Evaluating the food environment: application of the Healthy Eating Index-2005. Am J Prev Med 38, 465–471.
20. Krebs-Smith, SM, Reedy, J & Bosire, C (2010) Healthfulness of the US food supply: little improvement despite decades of dietary guidance. Am J Prev Med 38, 472–477.
21. Miller, PE, Reedy, J, Kirkpatrick, SI et al. (2015) The United States food supply is not consistent with dietary guidance: evidence from an evaluation using the Healthy Eating Index-2010. J Acad Nutr Diet 115, 95–100.
22. Hearst, MO, Harnack, LJ, Bauer, KW et al. (2013) Nutritional quality at eight US fast-food chains: 14-year trends. Am J Prev Med 44, 589–594.
23. Montville, JB, Ahuja, JKC, Martin, CL et al. (2013) USDA Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies (FNDDS), 5.0. Procedia Food Sci 2, 99–112.
25. Campbell, E, Hudson, H, Webb, K et al. (2011) Food preferences of users of the emergency food system. J Hunger Environ Nutr 6, 179–187.
26. Caspi, CE, Lenk, K, Pelletier, JE et al. (2017) Food and beverage purchases in corner stores, gas-marts, pharmacies and dollar stores. Public Health Nutr 20, 2587–2597.