1. Coitinho, D, Monteiro, CA & Popkin, BM (2002) What Brazil is doing to promote healthy diets and active lifestyles. Public Health Nutr 8, 263–267.
2. Hoffmann, K, Schulze, M, Boeing, H et al. (2000) Dietary patterns: report of an international workshop. Public Health Nutr 5, 89–90.
3. Schulze, MB, Hoffmann, KH, Kroke, KA et al. (2003) An approach to construct simplified measures of dietary patterns from exploratory factor analysis. Br J Nutr 89, 409–418.
4. Newby, PK, Muller, D & Tucker, KL (2004) Associations of empirically derived eating patterns with plasma lipid biomarkers: a comparison of factor and cluster analysis methods. Am J Clin Nutr 80, 759–767.
5. Levy-Costa, RB, Sichieri, R, Pontes, NS et al. (2005) Household food availability in Brazil: distribution and trends (1974–2003). Rev Saude Publica 39, 530–540.
6. Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (2004) Pesquisa de Orçamentos Familiares – POF 2002/2003: Análise da Disponibilidade Domiciliar de Alimentos e do Estado Nutricional no Brasil. Rio de Janeiro: IBGE.
7. Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (1978) Estudo Nacional das Despesas Familiares – ENDEF: 1974–1975. Rio de Janeiro: IBGE.
8. Núcleo de Pesquisas Epidemiológicas em Nutrição e Saúde da Universidade de São Paulo (2008) Conversor de Aquisições de Alimento em Energia e Nutrientes (AQUINUT), Version 1.0. http://www.fsp.usp.br/nupens/aquinut.zip (accessed August 2008).
9. Núcleo de Estudos e Pesquisas em Alimentação (2004) Tabela Brasileira de Composição de Alimentos – TACO. Campinas: Flamboyant.
10. US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service (2002) USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference. Release 15. Washington, DC: USDA.
11. Kim, J & Mueller, CW (1978) Factor Analysis: Statistical Methods and Practical Issues. Beverly Hills, CA: SAGE.
12. Hair, JF, Anderson, RE, Tatham, RL et al. (2009) Multivariate Data Analysis with Readings, 7th ed. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
13. Slattery, ML, Boucher, KM, Caan, BJ et al. (1998) Eating patterns and the risk of colon cancer. Am J Epidemiol 48, 4–16.
14. Schulze, MB, Hoffmann, KH, Kroke, KA et al. (2001) Dietary patterns and their association with food and nutrient intake in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) – Potsdam Study. Br J Nutr 5, 363–373.
15. Willett, W & Stampfer, MJ (1986) Total energy intake: implications for epidemiologic analyses. Am J Epidemiol 124, 17–27.
16. Edefonti, V, Randi, G, La Vecchia, C et al. (2009) Dietary patterns and breast cancer: a review with focus on methodological issues. Nutr Rev 67, 297–314.
17. Fung, T, Hu, FB, Fuchs, C et al. (2003) Major dietary patterns and the risk of colorectal cancer in women. Arch Intern Med 163, 309–314.
18. Wu, K, Hu, FB, Willett, WC et al. (2006) Dietary patterns and risk of prostate cancer in U.S. men. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15, 167–171.
19. Fu, ML, Cheng, L, Tu, SH et al. (2007) Association between unhealthful eating patterns and unfavorable overall school performance in children. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 1935–1943.
20. Dixon, LB, Balder, HF, Virtanen, MJ et al. (2004) Dietary patterns associated with colon and rectal cancer: results from the Dietary Patterns and Cancer (DIETSCAN) Project. Am J Clin Nutr 80, 1003–1011.
21. Kesse, E, Clavel-Chapelon, F & Boutron-Ruault, MC (2006) Dietary patterns and risk of colorectal tumors: a cohort of French women of the National Education System (E3N). Am J Epidemiol 164, 1085–1093.
22. Terry, P, Suzuki, R, Hu, FB et al. (2001) A prospective study of major dietary patterns and the risk of breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 10, 1281–1285.
23. Kim, MK, Sasaki, S, Otani, T et al. (2005) Dietary patterns and subsequent colorectal cancer risk by subsite: a prospective cohort study. Int J Cancer 115, 790–798.
24. Mizoue, T, Yamaji, T, Tabata, S et al. (2005) Dietary patterns and colorectal adenomas in Japanese men: the Self-Defense Forces Health Study. Am J Epidemiol 15, 338–345.
25. Hirose, K, Matsuo, K, Iwata, H et al. (2007) Dietary patterns and the risk of breast cancer in Japanese women. Cancer Sci 98, 1431–1438.
26. Lee, JE, Kim, JH, Son, SJ et al. (2011) Dietary pattern classifications with nutrient intake and health-risk factors in Korean men. Nutrition 27, 26–33.
27. Sichieri, R (2002) Dietary patterns and their associations with obesity in the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro. Obes Res 10, 42–48.
28. Marchioni, DML, Fisberg, RM, Góis Filho, JF et al. (2007) Padrões dietéticos e risco de câncer oral: estudo caso-controle em São Paulo. Rev Saúde Pública 41, 19–26.
29. Noel, SE, Newby, PK, Ordovas, JM et al. (2009) A traditional rice and beans pattern is associated with metabolic syndrome in Puerto Rican older adults. J Nutr 139, 1360–1367.
30. Toledo, AL, Koifman, RJ, Koifman, S et al. (2010) Dietary patterns and risk of oral and pharyngeal cancer: a case–control study in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Cad Saude Publica 26, 135–142.
31. Marchioni, DM, Latorre, Mdo R & Eluf-Neto, J (2005) Identification of dietary patterns using factor analysis in an epidemiological study in São Paulo. Sao Paulo Med J 123, 124–127.
32. Mikkilä, V, Räsänen, L, Raitakari, OT et al. (2007) Major dietary patterns and cardiovascular risk factors from childhood to adulthood. The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. Br J Nutr 98, 218–225.
33. Tseng, M & DeVellis, RF (2001) Fundamental dietary patterns and their correlates among US whites. J Am Diet Assoc 101, 929–932.
34. Olinto, MT, Willett, WC, Gigante, DP et al. (2011) Sociodemographic and lifestyle characteristics in relation to dietary patterns among young Brazilian adults. Public Health Nutr 14, 150–159.
35. Rezazadeh, A, Rashidkhani, B & Omidvar, N (2010) Association of major dietary patterns with socioeconomic and lifestyle factors of adult women living in Tehran, Iran. Nutrition 26, 337–341.
36. Hu, FB, Rimm, EB, Stampfer, MJ et al. (2000) Prospective study of major dietary patterns and risk of coronary heart disease in men. Am J Clin Nutr 72, 912–921.
37. Whichelow, MJ & Prevost, AT (1996) Dietary patterns and their associations with demographic, lifestyle and healthvariables in a random sample of British adults. Br J Nutr 76, 17–30.
38. Fan, JX, Brown, BB, Kowaleski-Jones, L et al. (2007) Household food expenditure patterns: a cluster analysis. Mon Labor Rev 130, 38–51.
39. Cai, H, Zheng, W, Xiang, YB et al. (2007) Dietary patterns and their correlates among middle-aged and elderly Chinese men: a report from the Shanghai Men's Health Study. Br J Nutr 98, 1006–1013.
40. Sánchez-Villegas, A, Delgado-Rodríguez, M, Martínez-González, MA et al. (2003) Gender, age, socio-demographic and lifestyle factors associated with major dietary patterns in the Spanish Project SUN (Seguimiento Universidad de Navarra). Eur J Clin Nutr 57, 285–292.
41. Yang, EJ, Kerver, JM & Song, WO (2005) Dietary patterns of Korean Americans described by factor analysis. J Am Coll Nutr 24, 115–121.
42. Carrera, PM, Gao, X & Tucker, KL (2007) A study of dietary patterns in the Mexican-American population and their association with obesity. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 1735–1742.
43. Hamer, M & Mishra, GD (2010) Dietary patterns and cardiovascular risk markers in the UK Low Income Diet and Nutrition Survey. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 20, 491–497.
44. Ministério da Saúde (2006) Guia Alimentar Para a População Brasileira: Promovendo Uma Alimentação Saudável. Guia Alimentar. Brasília: Ministério da Saúde.
45. Naska, A, Vasdekis, VGS & Trichopoulou, A (2001) A preliminary assessment of the use of household budget survey data for the prediction of individual food consumption. Public Health Nutr 4, 1159–1165.
46. Becker, W (2001) Comparability of household and individual food consumption data – evidence from Sweden. Public Health Nutr 4, 1177–1182.
47. Martinez, ME, Marshall, JR & Sechrest, L (1998) Invited commentary: factor analysis and the search for objectivity. Am J Epidemiol 148, 17–19.
48. Jacques, PF & Tucker, KL (2001) Are dietary patterns useful for understanding the role of diet in chronic disease? Am J Clin Nutr 73, 1–2.