1. Knowler, WC, Barrett-Connor, E, Fowler, SE et al. (2002) Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin. N Engl J Med 346, 393–403.
2. Stampfer, MJ, Hu, FB, Manson, JE et al. (2000) Primary prevention of coronary heart disease in women through diet and lifestyle. N Engl J Med 343, 16–22.
3. Wiseman, M (2008) The second World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research expert report. Food, nutrition, physical activity, and the prevention of cancer: a global perspective. Proc Nutr Soc 67, 253–256.
4. Jacques, PF, Sulsky, SI, Sadowski, JA et al. (1993) Comparison of micronutrient intake measured by a dietary questionnaire and biochemical indicators of micronutrient status. Am J Clin Nutr 57, 182–189.
5. Block, G, Hartman, AM, Dresser, CM et al. (1986) A data-based approach to diet questionnaire design and testing. Am J Epidemiol 124, 453–469.
6. Merritt, MA, Tzoulaki, I, van den Brandt, PA et al. (2016) Nutrient-wide association study of 57 foods/nutrients and epithelial ovarian cancer in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition study and the Netherlands Cohort Study. Am J Clin Nutr 103, 161–167.
7. Ocke, MC, Bueno-de-Mesquita, HB, Goddijn, HE et al. (1997) The Dutch EPIC food frequency questionnaire. I. Description of the questionnaire, and relative validity and reproducibility for food groups. Int J Epidemiol 26, Suppl. 1, S37–S48.
8. Ocke, MC, Bueno-de-Mesquita, HB, Pols, MA et al. (1997) The Dutch EPIC food frequency questionnaire. II. Relative validity and reproducibility for nutrients. Int J Epidemiol 26, Suppl. 1, S49–S58.
9. Siebelink, E, Geelen, A & de Vries, JH (2011) Self-reported energy intake by FFQ compared with actual energy intake to maintain body weight in 516 adults. Br J Nutr 106, 274–281.
10. Streppel, MT, de Vries, JH, Meijboom, S et al. (2013) Relative validity of the food frequency questionnaire used to assess dietary intake in the Leiden Longevity Study. Nutr J 12, 75.
11. Goldbohm, RA, van den Brandt, PA, Brants, HA et al. (1994) Validation of a dietary questionnaire used in a large-scale prospective cohort study on diet and cancer. Eur J Clin Nutr 48, 253–265.
12. Goldbohm, RA, van ’t Veer, P, van den Brandt, PA et al. (1995) Reproducibility of a food frequency questionnaire and stability of dietary habits determined from five annually repeated measurements. Eur J Clin Nutr 49, 420–429.
13. Olsen, SF, Birgisdottir, BE, Halldorsson, TI et al. (2014) Possibilities and considerations when merging dietary data from the world’s two largest pregnancy cohorts: the Danish National Birth Cohort and the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 93, 1131–1140.
14. Sluik, D, Geelen, A, de Vries, JH et al. (2016) A national FFQ for the Netherlands (the FFQ-NL 1.0): validation of a comprehensive FFQ for adults. Br J Nutr 116, 913–923.
15. Schram, MT, Sep, SJ, van der Kallen, CJ et al. (2014) The Maastricht Study: an extensive phenotyping study on determinants of type 2 diabetes, its complications and its comorbidities. Eur J Epidemiol 29, 439–451.
17. Molag, ML, de Vries, JH, Duif, N et al. (2010) Selecting informative food items for compiling food-frequency questionnaires: comparison of procedures. Br J Nutr 104, 446–456.
19. van Rossum, CT, Fransen, HP, Verkaik-Kloosterman, J et al. (2011) Dutch National Food Consumption Survey 2007–2010. Bilthoven: RIVM.
20. Gerdessen, JC, Souverein, OW, van ’t Veer, P et al. (2015) Optimising the selection of food items for FFQs using Mixed Integer Linear Programming. Public Health Nutr 18, 68–74.
21. Verschuren, WM, Blokstra, A, Picavet, HS et al. (2008) Cohort profile: the Doetinchem Cohort Study. Int J Epidemiol 37, 1236–1241.
22. Beulens, JW, Monninkhof, EM, Verschuren, WM et al. (2010) Cohort profile: the EPIC-NL study. Int J Epidemiol 39, 1170–1178.
23. Molag, ML (2010) Towards Transparent Development of Food Frequency Questionnaires. Scientific Basis of the Dutch FFQ-Tool: A Computer System to Generate, Apply and Process FFQs. Wageningen: Wageningen University.
24. Thompson, FE, Subar, AF, Brown, CC et al. (2002) Cognitive research enhances accuracy of food frequency questionnaire reports: results of an experimental validation study. J Am Diet Assoc 102, 212–225.
25. Ocké, M, Hulshof, K & Van Rossum, C (2005) The Dutch national food consumption survey 2003. Methodological issues. Arch Public Health 63, 227–241.