1. World Health Organization (2000) Worldwide Prevalence of Anaemia 1993–2005: WHO Global Database on Anaemia. Geneva: WHO.
2. Rasmussen, KM (2001) Is there a causal relationship between iron deficiency or iron deficiency anemia and weight at birth, length of gestation and perinatal mortality? J Nutr 131, 2 Suppl. 2, 590S–603S.
3. Cogswell, ME, Parvanta, I, Ickes, L . (2003) Iron supplementation during pregnancy, anemia, and birth weight: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr 78, 773–781.
5. National Nutrition Agency of the Gambia, Medical Research Council (2001) A Nationwide Survey on the Prevalence of Vitamin A and Iron deficiency in Women and Children. Banjul, The Gambia: NaNA.
6. Prual, A, Galan, P, De Bernis, L . (1988) Evaluation of iron status in Chadian pregnant women: consequences of maternal iron deficiency on the haematopoietic status of newborns. Trop Geogr Med 40, 1–6.
7. Kuvibidila, S, Mbela, K, Masabi, M . (1991) Iron status of Zairean pregnant women with and without serological markers of hepatitis B virus infection. J Trop Med Hyg 94, 104–109.
8. Mashako, L, Preziosi, P, Nsibu, C . (1991) Iron and folate status in Zairian mothers and their newborns. Ann Nutr Metab 35, 309–314.
9. Diallo, D, Tchernia, G, Yvart, J . (1995) The role of iron deficiency in anemia in pregnant women in Mali. Rev Fr Gynecol Obstet 90, 142–147.
10. Isah, HS, Fleming, AF, Ujah, IA . (1985) Anaemia and iron status of pregnant and non-pregnant women in the guinea savanna of Nigeria. Ann Trop Med Parasitol 79, 485–493.
11. Ayoya, MA, Spiekermann-Brouwer, GM, Traoré, AK . (2006) Determinants of anemia among pregnant women in Mali. Food Nutr Bull 27, 3–11.
12. Bouvier, P, Doumbo, O, Breslow, N . (1997) Seasonality, malaria, and impact of prophylaxis in a West African village, I. Effect on anemia in pregnancy. Am J Trop Med Hyg 56, 378–383.
13. Bouyou-Akotet, MK, Ionete-Collard, DE, Mabika-Manfoumbi, M . (2003) Prevalence of Plasmodium falciparum infection in pregnant women in Gabon. Malar J 2, 18.
14. Fleming, AF, Ghatoura, GB, Harrison, KA . (1986) The prevention of anaemia in pregnancy in primigravidae in the guinea savanna of Nigeria. Ann Trop Med Parasitol 80, 211–233.
15. Mockenhaupt, FP, Rong, B, Günther, M . (2000) Anaemia in pregnant Ghanaian women: importance of malaria, iron deficiency, and haemoglobinopathies. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 94, 477–483.
16. Kalenga, MK, Nyembo, MK, Nshimba, M . (2003) Anemia prevalence in pregnant and breast-feeding women in Lubumbashi (Democratic Republic of the Congo). Impact of malaria and intestinal helminthiasis. J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod 32, 647–653.
17. Achidi, EA, Kuoh, AJ, Minang, JT . (2005) Malaria infection in pregnancy and its effects on haemoglobin levels in women from a malaria endemic area of Fako Division, South West Province, Cameroon. 1. J Obstet Gynaecol 25, 235–240.
18. Diagne, N, Rogier, C, Cisse, B . (1997) Incidence of clinical malaria in pregnant women exposed to intense perennial transmission. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 91, 166–170.
19. Singer, LM, Newman, RD, Diarra, A . (2004) Evaluation of a malaria rapid diagnostic test for assessing the burden of malaria during pregnancy. Am J Trop Med Hyg 70, 481–485.
20. Asobayire, FS, Adou, P, Davidsson, L . (2001) Prevalence of iron deficiency with and without concurrent anemia in population groups with high prevalences of malaria and other infections: a study in Côte d'Ivoire. Am J Clin Nutr 74, 776–782.
21. Dicko, A, Mantel, C, Thera, MA . (2003) Risk factors for malaria infection and anemia for pregnant women in the Sahel area of Bandiagara, Mali. Acta Trop 89, 17–23.
22. Knight, R (1977) The use of Ferastral in iron-deficient, non-pregnant Gambian adults. Scand J Haematol Suppl 32, 348–352.
23. Egwunyenga, AO, Ajayi, JA, Nmorsi, OP . (2001) Plasmodium/intestinal helminth co-infections among pregnant Nigerian women. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 96, 1055–1059.
24. Richter, J, Wagatsuma, Y, Aryeetey, M . (1996) Sonographic screening for urinary tract abnormalities in patients with Schistosoma haematobium infection: pitfalls in examining pregnant women. Bull World Health Organ 74, 217–221.
25. Miaffo, C, Some, F, Kouyate, B . (2004) Malaria and anemia prevention in pregnant women of rural Burkina Faso. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 4, 18.
26. Ejidokun, OO (2000) Community attitudes to pregnancy, anaemia, iron and folate supplementation in urban and rural Lagos, south-western Nigeria. Midwifery 16, 89–95.
27. Meda, N, Cousens, S & Kanki, B (1996) Anaemia among women of reproductive age in Burkina Faso. World Health Forum 17, 369–372.
28. Galloway, R, Dusch, E, Elder, L . (2002) Women's perceptions of iron deficiency and anemia prevention and control in eight developing countries. Soc Sci Med 55, 529–544.
29. Vangeenderbuysen, C & Souley, FL (2001) Pregnancy among single women in Niamey (Niger). Afr J Reprod Health 5, 98–104.
30. Lardi, AM, Hirst, C, Mortimer, AJ . (1998) Evaluation of the HemoCue for measuring intra-operative haemoglobin concentrations: a comparison with the Coulter Max-M. Anaesthesia 53, 349–352.
31. Neufeld, L, Garcia-Guerra, A, Sanchez-Francia, D . (2002) Hemoglobin measured by HemoCue and a reference method in venous and capillary blood: a validation study. Salud Publica Mex 44, 219–227.
32. Burger, S & Pierre-Louis, J (2005) A Procedure to Estimate the Accuracy and Reliability of HemoCue™ Measurements of Survey Workers. Washington, DC: ILSI.
33. Bates, CJ, Villard, L, Prentice, AM . (1984) Seasonal variations in plasma retinol and carotenoid levels in rural Gambian women. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 78, 814–817.
34. Villard, L & Bates, CJ (1987) Effect of vitamin A supplementation on plasma and breast milk vitamin A levels in poorly nourished Gambian women. Hum Nutr Clin Nutr 41, 47–58.
35. Allen, HE, Crompton, DW, de Silva, N . (2002) New policies for using anthelmintics in high risk groups. Trends Parasitol 18, 381–382.
36. Stephenson, LS & Latham, MC (2003) Hookworm. Current Treatment Options in Infectious Diseases 5, 291–299.
37. Olds, GR (2003) Administration of praziquantel to pregnant and lactating women. Acta Trop 86, 185–195.
38. Stoltzfus, RJ (2001) Iron-deficiency anemia: reexamining the nature and magnitude of the public health problem. Summary: implications for research and programs. J Nutr 131, 2 Suppl. 2, 697S–700S.
39. Brabin, BJ, Hakimi, M & Pelletier, D (2001) An analysis of anemia and child mortality. J Nutr 131, 2 Suppl. 2, 636S–645S.
40. Stoltzfus, RJ (2003) Iron deficiency: global prevalence and consequences. Food Nutr Bull 24, 4 Suppl., S99–S103.
41. Geelhoed, D, Agadzi, F, Visser, L . (2006) Maternal and fetal outcome after severe anemia in pregnancy in rural Ghana. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 85, 49–55.
42. Haas, JD & Brownlie, T (2001) Iron deficiency and reduced work capacity: a critical review of the research to determine a causal relationship. J Nutr 131, 2 Suppl. 2, 676S–690S.
43. Stoltzfus, RJ, Mullany, L & Black, RE (2004) Iron deficiency anemia. In Comparative Quantification of Health Risks: The Global and Regional Burden of Disease due to 25 Selected Major Risk Factors, pp. 163–209 [M Ezzati, AD Lopez, A Rogers et al., editors]. Geneva: WHO.
44. Lone, FW, Qureshi, RN & Emanuel, F (2004) Maternal anaemia and its impact on perinatal outcome. Trop Med Int Health 9, 486–490.
45. UNICEF & World Health Organization (2004) Low Birthweight: Country, Regional and Global Estimates. New York: UNICEF.
46. Zagré, NM, Desplats, G, Adou, P . (2007) Prenatal multiple micronutrient supplementation has greater impact on birthweight than supplementation with iron and folic acid: a cluster-randomized, double-blind, controlled programmatic study in rural Niger. Food Nutr Bull 28, 317–327.
47. Perez, EM, Hendricks, MK, Beard, JL . (2005) Mother–infant interactions and infant development are altered by maternal iron deficiency anemia. J Nutr 135, 850–855.
48. Beard, JL, Hendricks, MK, Perez, EM . (2005) Maternal iron deficiency anemia affects postpartum emotions and cognition. J Nutr 135, 267–272.
49. Algarin, C, Peirano, P, Garrido, M . (2003) Iron deficiency anemia in infancy: long-lasting effects on auditory and visual system functioning. Pediatr Res 53, 217–223.
50. Lozoff, B, Jimenez, E & Wolf, AW (1991) Long-term developmental outcome of infants with iron deficiency. N Engl J Med 325, 687–694.
51. Allen, LH (1997) Pregnancy and iron deficiency: unresolved issues. Nutr Rev 55, 91–101.
52. Aguayo, VM, Koné, D, Bamba, SI . (2005) Acceptability of multiple micronutrient supplements by pregnant and lactating women in Mali. Public Health Nutr 8, 33–37.