1. Zhai, FY, Du, SF, Wang, ZH et al. (2014) Dynamics of the Chinese diet and role of urbanicity, 1991–2011. Obes Rev 15, Suppl. 1, 16–26.
2. Wang, ZH, Zhai, FY, Wang, HJ, et al. (2015) Secular trends in meat and seafood consumption patterns among Chinese adults, 1991–2011. Eur J Clin Nutr 69, 227–233.
3. Wang, Z, Zhai, F, Zhang, B et al. (2012) Trends in Chinese snacking behaviors and patterns and the social-demographic role between 1991 and 2009. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 21, 253–262.
4. Dong, F, Howard, AG, Herring, AH et al. (2016) Parent–child associations for changes in diet, screen time, and physical activity across two decades in modernizing China: China Health and Nutrition Survey 1991–2009. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 13, 118.
5. Bai, CQ, Wang, F & Liu, XL (2008) Analysis on nutrition and dietary status of elementary and middle school students in Shanxi Province. Chin J Sch Health 29, 370–371 (in Chinese).
6. An, XH & Fang, LW (2016) Research progress on dietary knowledge, attitude and behavior of students in China. Capital J Public Health 10, 25–27 (in Chinese).
7. Khambalia, A, Dickinson, S, Hardy, L et al. (2012) A synthesis of existing systematic reviews and meta-analyses of school-based behavioural interventions for controlling and preventing obesity. Obes Rev 13, 214–233.
8. Wing, RR, Goldstein, MG, Acton, KJ et al. (2001) Behavioral science research in diabetes: lifestyle changes related to obesity, eating behavior, and physical activity. Diabetes Care 24, 117–123.
9. Fila, SA & Smith, C (2006) Applying the theory of planned behavior to healthy eating behaviors in urban Native American youth. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 3, 11.
10. Scaglioni, S, Arrizza, C, Vecchi, F et al. (2011) Determinants of children’s eating behavior. Am J Clin Nutr 94, 6 Suppl., 2006S–2011S.
11. Feng, M, Xu, L, Huang, X et al. (2015) Effects of family and peer support upon the stages of health-related behavior in adolescent. Chin J Prev Med 49, 810–816 (in Chinese).
12. US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (1997) Guidelines for school and community programs to promote lifelong physical activity among young people. MMWR Recomm Rep 46, 1–36.
13. World Health Organization, Western Pacific Region (2017) Health Promoting Schools: Experiences from the Western Pacific Region Manila: WHO Regional Office for the Western Pacific; available at http://iris.wpro.who.int/handle/10665.1/13551
14. Bandura, A (1977) Social Learning Theory. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
15. McAlister, AL, Perry, CL & Parcel, GS (2008) How individuals, environments and health behavior interact: social cognitive theory. In Health Behavior and Health Education: Theory, Research, and Practice, 4th ed., pp. 169–187 [K Glanz, BK Rimer and K Viswanath, editors]. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
16. Blitstein, JL, Cates, SC, Hersey, J et al. (2016) Adding a social marketing campaign to a school-based nutrition education program improves children’s dietary intake: a quasi-experimental study. J Acad Nutr Diet 116, 1285–1294.
17. China Nutrition Committee (2011) The Guidelines for Nutrition and Diet for Chinese Residents. Beijing: Xi Zang Ren Min Chu Bang She (in Chinese).
18. Raudenbush, SW & Bryk, AS (2002) Hierarchical Linear Models: Applications and Data Analysis Methods, 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, Inc.
19. Zhang, J, Cai, J, Tan, J et al. (2013) Efficacy of nutritional intervention among students in Zhaoqing. Chin J Sch Health 34, 1424–1425 (in Chinese).
20. Xia, Q & Sun, J (2006) Impact evaluation on rational nutrition intervention of middle school students and their parents. Chin J Sch Health 26, 481–482 (in Chinese).
21. Mie, J, Sun, G, Wang, S et al. (2010) Study on the effects of nutrition teaching combined with health education on the nutrition knowledge, attitude, and practice of students in health school. Chin J Modern Prev Med 37, 2274–2276 (in Chinese).
22. Yang, Y, He, M, Cui, H et al. (2000) The prevalence of lactase deficiency and lactose intolerance in Chinese children of different ages. Chin Med J (Engl) 113, 1129–1132.
23. Wang, Y, Bentley, ME, Zhai, F et al. (2002) Tracking of dietary intake patterns of Chinese from childhood to adolescence over a six-year follow-up period. J Nutr 132, 430–438.
24. Wei, X, Yang, Y, Yan, J et al. (2010) Eating behavior and influential factor analysis among urban adolescents in Shandong province. Chin J Sch Health 31, 1170–1172 (in Chinese).
26. Qian, L, Zhang, F, Newman, IM et al. (2017) Effects of selected socio-demographic characteristics on nutrition knowledge and eating behavior of elementary students in two provinces in China. BMC Public Health 18, 5.
27. Feng, Y, Liang, X, Zhu, W et al. (2015) Dietary behavior and the potential family influencing factors among students in primary schools in Beijing Fengtai district. Chin J Sch Health 36, 37–39 (in Chinese).
28. Qian, L, Newman, IM, Shell, DF et al. (2012) Reducing overweight and obesity among elementary students in Wuhan, China. Int Electron J Health Educ 15, 62–71.