1. Nielsen, SJ, Siega-Riz, AM & Popkin, BM (2002) Trends in food locations and sources among adolescents and young adults. Prev Med 35, 107–113.
2. Ma, H, Huang, J, Fuller, F et al. (2006) Getting rich and eating out: consumption of food away from home in urban China. Can J Agric Econ 54, 101–119.
3. Zhai, FY, Du, SF, Wang, ZH et al. (2014) Dynamics of the Chinese diet and the role of urbanicity, 1991–2011. Obes Rev 15, 16–26.
4. Dong, X & Hu, B (2010) Regional difference in food consumption away from home of urban residents: a panel data analysis. Agric Agric Sci Procedia 1, 271–277.
5. Berkowitz, S, Marquart, L, Mykerezi, E et al. (2016) Reduced-portion entrées in a worksite and restaurant setting: impact on food consumption and waste. Public Health Nutr 19, 3048–3054.
6. Lachat, C, Nago, E, Verstraeten, R et al. (2012) Eating out of home and its association with dietary intake: a systematic review of the evidence. Obes Rev 13, 329–346.
7. Burke, SJ, McCarthy, SN, O’Neill, JL et al. (2007) An examination of the influence of eating location on the diets of Irish children. Public Health Nutr 10, 599–607.
8. Burns, C, Jackson, M, Gibbons, C et al. (2002) Foods prepared outside the home: association with selected nutrients and BMI in adult Australians. Public Health Nutr 5, 441–448.
9. Setayeshgar, S, Ekwaru, JP, Maximova, K et al. (2017) Dietary intake and prospective changes in cardiometabolic risk factors in children and youth. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 42, 39–45.
10. Lin, BH & Guthrie, J (1996) The quality of children’s diets at and away from home. Food Rev 19, 45–50.
11. Lin, BH & Frazao, E (1997) Nutritional quality of foods at and away from home. Food Rev 20, 33–40.
12. Zoumas-Morse, C, Rock, CL, Sobo, EJ et al. (2001) Children’s patterns of macronutrient intake and associations with restaurant and home eating. J Am Diet Assoc 101, 923–925.
13. Gillespie, C, Maalouf, J, Yuan, K et al. (2015) Sodium content in major brands of US packaged foods, 2009. Am J Clin Nutr 101, 344–353.
14. Paeratakul, S, Ferdinand, DP, Champagne, CM et al. (2003) Fast-food consumption among US adults and children: dietary and nutrient intake profile. J Am Diet Assoc 103, 1332–1338.
15. Lee, KW, Song, WO & Cho, MS (2016) Dietary quality differs by consumption of meals prepared at home vs. outside in Korean adults. Nutr Res Pract 10, 294–304.
16. Prentice, AM (2001) Overeating: the health risks. Obes Res 9, Suppl. 4, 234S–238S.
17. Popkin, BM, Du, S, Zhai, F et al. (2010) Cohort profile: The China Health and Nutrition Survey – monitoring and understanding socio-economic and health change in China, 1989–2011. Int J Epidemiol 39, 1435–1440.
18. China Standard GB/T 22223-2008 (2008) Determination of Total Fat, Saturated Fat, and Unsaturated Fat in Foods – Hydrolytic Extraction–Gas Chromatography. Beijing: Standards Press of China.
19. Sacks, FM, Lichtenstein, AH, Wu, JHY et al. (2017) Dietary fats and cardiovascular disease: a presidential advisory from the American Heart Association. Circulation 136, e1–e23.
20. China Standard GB 5009.5-2010 (2010) Determination of Protein in Foods. Beijing: Standards Press of China.
21. Garza, C, Scrimshaw, NS & Young, VR (1978) Human protein requirements: interrelationships between energy intake and nitrogen balance in young men consuming the 1973 FAO/WHO safe level of egg protein, with added non-essential amino acids. J Nutr 108, 90–96.
22. China Standard GB/T 9695.31-2008 (2008) Meat Products – Determination of Total Sugars Content. Beijing: Standards Press of China.
23. Xu, X, Byles, JE, Shi, Z et al. (2015) Evaluation of older Chinese people’s macronutrient intake status: results from the China Health and Nutrition Survey. Br J Nutr 113, 159–171.
24. China Standard GB/T 5009.91-2003 (2003) Determination of Potassium and Sodium in Foods. Beijing: Standards Press of China.
25. Ng, SW & Dunford, E (2013) Complexities and opportunities in monitoring and evaluating US and global changes by the food industry. Obes Rev 14, Suppl. 2, 29–41.
26. Wang, Y, Wang, L, Xue, H et al. (2016) A review of the growth of the fast food industry in China and its potential impact on obesity. Int J Environ Res Public Health 13, E1112.
27. Whelton, PK (2014) Sodium, potassium, blood pressure, and cardiovascular disease in humans. Curr Hypertens Rep 16, 465.
28. Guasch-Ferre, M, Babio, N, Martinez-Gonzalez, MA et al. (2015) Dietary fat intake and risk of cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality in a population at high risk of cardiovascular disease. Am J Clin Nutr 102, 1563–1573.
29. Okayama, A, Okuda, N, Miura, K et al. (2016) Dietary sodium-to-potassium ratio as a risk factor for stroke, cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality in Japan: the NIPPON DATA80 cohort study. BMJ Open 6, e011632.
30. An, R (2016) Fast-food and full-service restaurant consumption and daily energy and nutrient intakes in US adults. Eur J Clin Nutr 70, 97–103.
31. Rudelt, A, French, S & Harnack, L (2014) Fourteen-year trends in sodium content of menu offerings at eight leading fast-food restaurants in the USA. Public Health Nutr 17, 1682–1688.
32. Wu, HW & Sturm, R (2014) Changes in the energy and sodium content of main entrees in US chain restaurants from 2010 to 2011. J Acad Nutr Diet 114, 209–219.
33. Ahuja, JK, Wasswa-Kintu, S, Haytowitz, DB et al. (2015) Sodium content of popular commercially processed and restaurant foods in the United States. Prev Med Rep 2, 962–967.
34. Du, S, Batis, C, Wang, H et al. (2014) Understanding the patterns and trends of sodium intake, potassium intake, and sodium to potassium ratio and their effect on hypertension in China. Am J Clin Nutr 99, 334–343.
35. World Health Organization (2012) Guideline: Sodium Intake for Adults and Children. Geneva: WHO.
37. Wang, SS, Lay, S, Yu, HN et al. (2016) Dietary guidelines for Chinese residents (2016): comments and comparisons. J Zhejiang Univ Sci B 17, 649–656.
38. Zhang, L, Zhao, F, Zhang, P et al. (2015) A pilot study to validate a standardized one-week salt estimation method evaluating salt intake and its sources for family members in China. Nutrients 7, 751–763.
39. Zhao, F, Zhang, P, Zhang, L et al. (2015) Consumption and sources of dietary salt in family members in Beijing. Nutrients 7, 2719–2730.
40. Anderson, CA, Appel, LJ, Okuda, N et al. (2010) Dietary sources of sodium in China, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States, women and men aged 40 to 59 years: the INTERMAP study. J Am Diet Assoc 110, 736–745.
41. Hu, L, Huang, X, You, C et al. (2017) Prevalence and risk factors of prehypertension and hypertension in Southern China. PLoS One 12, e0170238.
42. Zhou, BF, Stamler, J, Dennis, B et al. (2003) Nutrient intakes of middle-aged men and women in China, Japan, United Kingdom, and United States in the late 1990s: the INTERMAP study. J Hum Hypertens 17, 623–630.
43. Orfanos, P, Naska, A, Trichopoulou, A et al. (2009) Eating out of home: energy, macro- and micronutrient intakes in 10 European countries. The European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition. Eur J Clin Nutr 63, Suppl. 4, S239–S262.
44. Zhang, J, Meng, L, Jiang, Y et al. (2009) The dietary fatty acid intakes and their food sources among Chinese adults. Acta Nutrimenta Sinica 31, 424–427.
45. Bauer, KW, Hearst, MO, Earnest, AA et al. (2012) Energy content of US fast-food restaurant offerings: 14-year trends. Am J Prev Med 43, 490–497.
46. Barnes, TL, French, SA, Mitchell, NR et al. (2016) Fast-food consumption, diet quality and body weight: cross-sectional and prospective associations in a community sample of working adults. Public Health Nutr 19, 885–892.
47. Ziauddeen, N, Fitt, E, Edney, L et al. (2015) Variability in the reported energy, total fat and saturated fat contents in fast-food products across ten countries. Public Health Nutr 18, 2962–2969.
48. DiNicolantonio, JJ, Lucan, SC & O’Keefe, JH (2016) The evidence for saturated fat and for sugar related to coronary heart disease. Prog Cardiovasc Dis 58, 464–472.
49. Liu, AG, Ford, NA, Hu, FB et al. (2017) A healthy approach to dietary fats: understanding the science and taking action to reduce consumer confusion. Nutr J 16, 53.
50. Pimpin, L, Wu, JH, Haskelberg, H et al. (2016) Is butter back? A systematic review and meta-analysis of butter consumption and risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and total mortality. PLoS One 11, e0158118.