Leung, A, Braverman, L & Pearce, E (2012) History of US iodine fortification and supplementation. Nutrients 4, 1740–1746.
3. World Health Organization (2007) Assessment of Iodine Deficiency Disorders and Monitoring their Elimination: A Guide for Programme Managers, 3rd ed. Geneva: WHO.
4. Ghazarian, HG (1979) On peculiarities of thyroid gland in inhabitants of three different areas of the Armenian SSR. J Exp Clin Med XIX, 115–122.
5. Karamian, RK (1981) On the state of the thyroid glands in inhabitants of Zangezour regions of the Armenian SSR. J Exp Clin Med XXI, 74–77.
6. Ministry of Health (2005) Report on Results of National Representative Survey of Iodine Nutrition and Implementation of Universal Salt Iodization Program in Armenia. Yerevan: Ministry of Health of the Republic of Armenia & UNICEF Representative Office in Armenia.
Rossi, L & Branca, F (2003) Salt iodisation and public health campaigns to eradicate iodine deficiency disorders in Armenia. Public Health Nutr 6, 463–469.
8. Government of Armenia (2004) Government of Armenia Decree of 12 February 2004, # 353-N on the approval of the national programme for control and prevention of dietary iodine deficiency among the population of Republic of Armenia, the timetable for the plan of priority actions (developed for 2004–2007), as well as amendment to the Government Decree #902, dated 31 December 2000
. Yerevan: Government of Armenia.
9. UNICEF (2005) Armenia: Prevention of Iodine Deficiencies Disorders – 2005 Annual Progress Report. Yerevan: UNICEF Armenia.
10. Hutchings, N, Aghajanova, A, Baghdasaryan, S et al. (2017) Iodine nutrition in Armenia: a model of representative surveillance (abstract). 87th Annual Meeting of the American Thyroid Association. Thyroid 27, Suppl. 1, P-1-A–156.
11. Institute of Medicine, Food and Nutrition Board (2001) Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Arsenic, Boron, Chromium, Copper, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Nickel, Silicon, Vanadium, and Zinc. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
Nimmons, G, Funk, G, Graham, M et al. (2013) Urinary iodine excretion after contrast computed tomography scan: implications for radioactive iodine use. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 139, 479–482.
13. Benotti, J, Benotti, N, Pino, S et al. (1965) Determination of total iodine in urine, stool, diets, and tissue. Clin Chem 11, 932–936.
14. Zimmermann, M, Hussein, I, al Ghannami, S et al. (2016) Estimation of the prevalence of inadequate and excessive iodine intakes in school-age children from the adjusted distribution of urinary iodine concentrations from population surveys. J Nutr 146, 1204–1211.
15. Institute of Medicine Subcommittee on Interpretation and Uses of Dietary Reference Intakes & the Standing Committee on the Scientific Evaluation of Dietary Reference Intakes (2003) Dietary Reference Intakes: Applications in Dietary Planning. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.
Charlton, K, Batterham, M, Buchanan, L et al. (2014) Intra-individual variation in urinary iodine concentrations: effect of adjustment on population distribution using two and three repeated spot urine collections. BMJ Open 4, e003799.
Mackerras, D, Singh, G & Eastman, C (2011) Iodine status of Aboriginal teenagers in the Darwin region before mandatory iodine fortification of bread. Med J Aust 7 194, 126–130.
Van der Haar, F, Knowles, J, Bukania, Z et al. (2018) New statistical approach to apportion dietary sources of iodine intake: findings from Kenya, Senegal and India. Nutrients 10, E430.
Johner, S, Boeing, H, Thamm, M et al. (2015) Urinary 24-h creatinine excretion in adults and its use as a simple tool for the estimation of daily urinary analyte excretion from analyte/creatinine ratios in populations. Eur J Clin Nutr 69, 1336–1343.
Xu, J, Wang, M, Chen, Y et al. (2014) Estimation of salt intake by 24-h urinary sodium excretion: a cross-sectional study in Yantai, China BMC Public Health 14, 136.
Katagiri, R, Yuan, X, Kobayashi, S et al. (2017) Effect of excess iodine intake on thyroid diseases in different populations: a systematic review and meta-analyses including observational studies. PLoS One 12, e0173722.
22. Zimmermann, MB & Andersson, M (2012) Assessment of iodine nutrition in populations: past, present, and future. Nutr Rev 70, 553–570.
23. Gerasimov, G, van der Haar, F, Ugulava, T et al. (2017) Preliminary report on Georgia Iodine Nutrition Survey 2017. Abstract presented at Iodine Nutrition Problem in Armenia Conference, Yerevan, Armenia, 10 October 2017.
Powles, J, Fahimi, S, Micha, R et al. (2013) Global, regional and national sodium intakes in 1990 and 2010: a systematic analysis of 24 h urinary sodium excretion and dietary surveys worldwide. BMJ Open 3, e003733
Wong, E, Sullivan, K, Perrine, C et al. (2011) Comparison of median urinary iodine concentration as an indicator of iodine status among pregnant women, school-age children, and nonpregnant women. Food Nutr Bull 32, 206–212.