4. Duffy, P, Zizza, C, Jacoby, J et al. (2009) Diet quality is low among female food pantry clients in Eastern Alabama. J Nutr Educ Behav 41, 414–419.
5. Simmet, A, Depa, J, Tinnemann, P et al. (2017) The dietary quality of food pantry users: a systematic review of existing literature. J Acad Nutr Diet 117, 563–576.
6. Seligman, HK, Lyles, C, Marshall, MB et al. (2015) A pilot food bank intervention featuring diabetes-appropriate food improved glycemic control among clients in three states. Health Aff (Millwood) 34, 1956–1963.
7. Byker Shanks, C (2017) Promoting food pantry environments that encourage nutritious eating behaviors. J Acad Nutr Diet 117, 523–525.
8. Long, CR, Rowland, B, Steelman, SC et al. (2017) Outcomes of disease prevention and management interventions in food pantries and food banks: protocol for a scoping review. BMJ Open 7, e018022.
9. Ross, M, Campbell, EC & Webb, KL (2013) Recent trends in the nutritional quality of food banks’ food and beverage inventory: case studies of six California food banks. J Hunger Environ Nutr 8, 294–309.
10. Shimada, T, Ross, M, Campbell, EC et al. (2013) A model to drive research-based policy change: Improving the nutritional quality of emergency food. J Hunger Environ Nutr 8, 281–293.
11. Campbell, EC, Ross, M & Webb, KL (2013) Improving the nutritional quality of emergency food: a study of food bank organizational culture, capacity, and practices. J Hunger Environ Nutr 8, 261–280.
13. Rochester, JS, Nanney, MS & Story, M (2011) Assessing foodshelves’ ability to distribute healthy foods to foodshelf clients. J Hunger Amp Environ Nutr 6, 10–26.
14. Hoisington, A, Manore, MM & Raab, C (2011) Nutritional quality of emergency foods. J Am Diet Assoc 111, 573–576.
15. Akobundu, UO, Cohen, NL, Laus, MJ et al. (2004) Vitamins A and C, calcium, fruit, and dairy products are limited in food pantries. J Am Diet Assoc 104, 811–813.
16. Nanney, MS, Grannon, KY, Cureton, C et al. (2016) Application of the Healthy Eating Index-2010 to the hunger relief system. Public Health Nutr 19, 2906–2914.
17. Grannon, KY, Hoolihan, C, Wang, Q et al. (2017) Comparing the application of the Healthy Eating Index-2005 and the Healthy Eating Index-2010 in the food shelf setting. J Hunger Environ Nutr 12, 112–122.
18. Simmet, A, Depa, J, Tinnemann, P et al. (2017) The nutritional quality of food provided from food pantries: a systematic review of existing literature. J Acad Nutr Diet 117, 577–588.
19. Greer, AE, Cross-Denny, B, McCabe, M et al. (2016) Giving economically disadvantaged, minority food pantry patrons’ a voice: implications for equitable access to sufficient, nutritious food. Fam Community Health 39, 199–206.
20. Verpy, H, Smith, C & Reicks, M (2003) Attitudes and behaviors of food donors and perceived needs and wants of food shelf clients. J Nutr Educ Behav 35, 6–15.
21. Campbell, E, Hudson, H, Webb, K et al. (2011) Food preferences of users of the emergency food system. J Hunger Environ Nutr 6, 179–187.
22. Martin, KS, Wu, R, Wolff, M et al. (2013) A novel food pantry program: food security, self-sufficiency, and diet-quality outcomes. Am J Prev Med 45, 569–575.
23. Caspi, C, Friebur, R, Davey, C et al. (2017) Results of a pilot intervention to improve dietary outcomes among adults experiencing food insecurity. J Hunger Environ Nutr 12, 77–88.
29. Ashe, M, Graff, S & Spector, C (2011) Changing places: policies to make a healthy choice the easy choice. Public Health 125, 889–895.
30. Roberto, C & Kawachi, I (2016) Behavioral Economics and Public Health. New York: Oxford University Press.
31. Thaler, R & Sunstein, C (2009) Nudge: Improving Decisions about Health, Wealth, and Happiness. New York: Penguin Books.
32. Bucher, T, Collins, C, Rollo, ME et al. (2016) Nudging consumers towards healthier choices: a systematic review of positional influences on food choice. Br J Nutr 115, 2252–2263.
33. Payne, CR, Niculescu, M, Just, DR et al. (2014) Shopper marketing nutrition interventions. Physiol Behav 136, 111–120.
34. Skov, LR, Lourenco, S, Hansen, GL et al. (2013) Choice architecture as a means to change eating behaviour in self-service settings: a systematic review. Obes Rev 14, 187–196.
35. Thorndike, AN, Bright, O-JM, Dimond, MA et al. (2017) Choice architecture to promote fruit and vegetable purchases by families participating in the Special Supplemental Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC): randomized corner store pilot study. Public Health Nutr 20, 1297–1305.
36. Ammerman, AS, Hartman, T & DeMarco, MM (2017) Behavioral economics and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program: making the healthy choice the easy choice. Am J Prev Med 52, 2S2, S145–S150.
37. Richards, MR & Sindelar, JL (2013) Rewarding healthy food choices in SNAP: behavioral economic applications. Milbank Q 91, 395–412.
38. Ayala, GX, D’Angelo, H, Gittelsohn, J et al. (2017) Who is behind the stocking of energy-dense foods and beverages in small stores? The importance of food and beverage distributors. Public Health Nutr 20, 3333–3342.
39. Cureton, C, King, RP, Warren, C et al. (2017) Factors associated with the healthfulness of food shelf orders. Food Policy 71, 124–131.
40. Wilson, NLW, Just, DR & Swigert, J (2017) Food pantry selection solutions: a randomized controlled trial in client-choice food pantries to nudge clients to targeted foods. J Public Health (Oxf) 39, 366–372.
43. Guenther, PM, Casavale, KO, Reedy, J et al. (2013) Update of the Healthy Eating Index: HEI-2010. J Acad Nutr Diet 113, 569–580.
44. Caspi, CE, Grannon, KY, Wang, Q et al. (2018) Refining and implementing the Food Assortment Scoring Tool (FAST) in food pantries. Public Health Nutr 21, 2548–2557.
45. Hager, ER, Quigg, AM, Black, MM et al. (2010) Development and validity of a 2-item screen to identify families at risk for food insecurity. Pediatrics 126, e26–e32.
46. Guthrie, JF (2017) Integrating behavioral economics into nutrition education research and practice. J Nutr Educ Behav 49, 700.e1–705.e1.
47. Stroebele-Benschop, N, Simmet, A & Depa, J (2017) Nutrition status of those receiving unprepared food from food banks: overview of food bank users in high-income countries and their diet. In Handbook of Famine, Starvation, and Nutrient Deprivation: From Biology to Policy, pp. 1–22 [V Preedy and VB Patel, editors]. Cham: Springer International Publishing.
49. May, C & Finch, T (2009) Implementing, embedding, and integrating practices: an outline of normalization process theory. Sociology 43, 535–554.
50. Patton, MQ (2018) Principles-Focused Evaluation: The Guide. New York: Guilford Press.