2. Ip, S, Chung, M, Raman, G et al. (2007) Breastfeeding and maternal and infant health outcomes in developed countries. Evid Rep Technol Assess (Full Rep) issue 153, 1–186.
3. Chowdhury, R, Sinha, B, Sankar, MJ et al. (2015) Breastfeeding and maternal health outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Acta Paediatr 104, 96–113.10.1111/apa.13102
4. Zheng, JS, Liu, H, Li, J et al. (2014) Exclusive breastfeeding is inversely associated with risk of childhood overweight in a large Chinese cohort. J Nutr 144, 1454–1459.10.3945/jn.114.193664
5. Krawczyk, A, Lewis, MG, Venkatesh, BT et al. (2016) Effect of exclusive breastfeeding on rotavirus infection among children. Indian J Pediatr 83, 220–225.10.1007/s12098-015-1854-8
6. Lin, H, Sun, L, Lin, J et al. (2014) Protective effect of exclusive breastfeeding against hand, foot and mouth disease. BMC Infect Dis 14, 645.10.1186/s12879-014-0645-6
7. Victora, CG, Bahl, R, Barros, AJ et al. (2016) Breastfeeding in the 21st century: epidemiology, mechanisms, and lifelong effect. Lancet 387, 475–490.10.1016/S0140-6736(15)01024-7
8. Duan, Y, Yang, Z, Lai, J et al. (2018) Exclusive breastfeeding rate and complementary feeding indicators in China: a national representative survey in 2013. Nutrients 10, E249.10.3390/nu10020249
9. Guo, S, Fu, X, Scherpbier, RW et al. (2013) Breastfeeding rates in central and western China in 2010: implications for child and population health. Bull World Health Organ 91, 322–331.10.2471/BLT.12.111310
10. Liu, P, Qiao, L, Xu, F et al. (2013) Factors associated with breastfeeding duration: a 30-month cohort study in northwest China. J Hum Lact 29, 253–259.10.1177/0890334413477240
11. Liu, S, Li, J, Gong, C et al. (2014) Evaluation of the feeding status of infants and young children under 2 years old in rural areas of Hubei province. Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi 48, 705–709.
12. Qu, P, Wang, T, Liu, F et al. (2015) Breast-feeding patterns of ethnic groups in rural western China. Public Health Nutr 18, 3386–3393.10.1017/S1368980015000208
13. Zhang, LF, Feng, S & Wen, F (2016) Analysis of the status and influencing factors of breastfeeding among infants within six months of ages in Haidian neighbourhood of Haidian district of Beijing. Chin J Child Health Care 24, 1081–1083.
14. Su, SG, Qu, WJ, Ni, B et al. (2017) Status quo and influencing factors of breastfeeding among infants aged 6-month and elder in Dalian municipality. Chin J Public Health 33, 792–795.
15. Boccolini, CS, Carvalho, ML & Oliveira, MI (2015) Factors associated with exclusive breastfeeding in the first six months of life in Brazil: a systematic review. Rev Saude Publica 49, 91.10.1590/S0034-8910.2015049005971
16. Chaves, RG, Lamounier, JA & Cesar, CC (2007) Factors associated with duration of breastfeeding. J Pediatr (Rio J) 83, 241–246.
17. Machado, MC, Assis, KF, Oliveira Fde, C et al. (2014) Determinants of the exclusive breastfeeding abandonment: psychosocial factors. Rev Saude Publica 48, 985–994.10.1590/S0034-8910.2014048005340
18. Pang, WW, Aris, IM, Fok, D et al. (2016) Determinants of breastfeeding practices and success in a multi-ethnic Asian population. Birth 43, 68–77.10.1111/birt.12206
19. Tang, L, Lee, AH & Binns, CW (2015) Factors associated with breastfeeding duration: a prospective cohort study in Sichuan Province, China. World J Pediatr 11, 232–238.10.1007/s12519-014-0520-y
20. Hilson, JA, Rasmussen, KM & Kjolhede, CL (2006) Excessive weight gain during pregnancy is associated with earlier termination of breast-feeding among white women. J Nutr 136, 140–146.10.1093/jn/136.1.140
21. Fernandes, TA, Werneck, GL & Hasselmann, MH (2012) Prepregnancy weight, weight gain during pregnancy, and exclusive breastfeeding in the first month of life in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. J Hum Lact 28, 55–61.10.1177/0890334411429113
22. Winkvist, A, Brantsaeter, AL, Brandhagen, M et al. (2015) Maternal prepregnant body mass index and gestational weight gain are associated with initiation and duration of breastfeeding among Norwegian mothers. J Nutr 145, 1263–1270.10.3945/jn.114.202507
23. Li, R, Jewell, S & Grummer-Strawn, L (2003) Maternal obesity and breast-feeding practices. Am J Clin Nutr 77, 931–936.10.1093/ajcn/77.4.931
24. Manios, Y, Grammatikaki, E, Kondaki, K et al. (2009) The effect of maternal obesity on initiation and duration of breast-feeding in Greece: the GENESIS study. Public Health Nutr 12, 517–524.10.1017/S1368980008002838
25. Bartok, CJ, Schaefer, EW, Beiler, JS et al. (2012) Role of body mass index and gestational weight gain in breastfeeding outcomes. Breastfeed Med 7, 448–456.10.1089/bfm.2011.0127
26. Castillo, H, Santos, IS & Matijasevich, A (2016) Maternal pre-pregnancy BMI, gestational weight gain and breastfeeding. Eur J Clin Nutr 70, 431–436.10.1038/ejcn.2015.232
27. Baker, JL, Michaelsen, KF, Sorensen, TIA et al. (2007) High prepregnant body mass index is associated with early termination of full and any breastfeeding in Danish women. Am J Clin Nutr 86, 404–411.10.1093/ajcn/86.2.404
28. Tao, XY, Huang, K, Yan, SQ et al. (2017) Pre-pregnancy BMI, gestational weight gain and breast-feeding: a cohort study in China. Public Health Nutr 20, 1001–1008.10.1017/S1368980016003165
29. Zhou, YB, Li, HT, Ye, RW et al. (2017) Gestational weight gain, cesarean delivery, and cesarean delivery on maternal request: a cohort analysis of Chinese nulliparous women.
Ann Epidemiol 27, 96.e3–102.e3.10.1016/j.annepidem.2016.11.014
30. Liu, JM, Mei, Z, Ye, R et al. (2013) Micronutrient supplementation and pregnancy outcomes: double-blind randomized controlled trial in China. JAMA Intern Med 173, 276–282.10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.1632
31. Hackman, NM, Schaefer, EW, Beiler, JS et al. (2015) Breastfeeding outcome comparison by parity. Breastfeed Med 10, 156–162.10.1089/bfm.2014.0119
32. Sun, K, Chen, M, Yin, Y et al. (2017) Why Chinese mothers stop breastfeeding: mothers’ self-reported reasons for stopping during the first six months. J Child Health Care 21, 353–363.10.1177/1367493517719160
33. Yang, S, Peng, A, Wei, S et al. (2015) Pre-pregnancy body mass index, gestational weight gain, and birth weight: a cohort study in China. PLoS One 10, e0130101.10.1371/journal.pone.0130101
34. Zhong, C, Li, X, Chen, R et al. (2017) Greater early and mid-pregnancy gestational weight gain are associated with increased risk of gestational diabetes mellitus: a prospective cohort study. Clin Nutr ESPEN 22, 48–53.10.1016/j.clnesp.2017.08.013
35. Gorgal, R, Goncalves, E, Barros, M et al. (2012) Gestational diabetes mellitus: a risk factor for non-elective cesarean section. J Obstet Gynaecol Res 38, 154–159.10.1111/j.1447-0756.2011.01659.x
36. Zhao, J, Zhao, Y, Du, M et al. (2017) Does caesarean section affect breastfeeding practices in China? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Matern Child Health J 21, 2008–2024.10.1007/s10995-017-2369-x
37. Riddle, SW & Nommsen-Rivers, LA (2017) Low milk supply and the pediatrician. Curr Opin Pediatr 29, 249–256.10.1097/MOP.0000000000000468
38. Newby, RM & Davies, PS (2016) Antenatal breastfeeding intention, confidence and comfort in obese and non-obese primiparous Australian women: associations with breastfeeding duration. Eur J Clin Nutr 70, 935–940.10.1038/ejcn.2016.29
39. Hauff, LE & Demerath, EW (2012) Body image concerns and reduced breastfeeding duration in primiparous overweight and obese women. Am J Hum Biol 24, 339–349.10.1002/ajhb.22238
40. Institute of Medicine & National Research Council Committee to Reexamine IOM Pregnancy Weight Guidelines (2009) Weight Gain During Pregnancy: Reexamining the Guidelines. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.
41. Martinez, JL, Chapman, DJ & Perez-Escamilla, R (2016) Prepregnancy obesity class is a risk factor for failure to exclusively breastfeed at hospital discharge among Latinas. J Hum Lact 32, 258–268.10.1177/0890334415622638