On the Manor Farm, Heacham, Norfolk, there are seven long mounds (one was removed some years ago), roughly parallel and running east and west. They are in a meadow adjoining the road from Heacham to Hunstanton on the west. Ditches border the field east and west, and north of the mounds is a raised roadway connecting the highway to Hunstanton with a farm road. The western half of this meadow (79 yards from east to west) has been hollowed out in irregular shape. The longest mound is 33 yards long; they average 6 yards in width, and 17 yards from the top of one mound to the top of the next.
By permission of Mr. Hamon le Strange, the landowner, and Mr. G. B. M. Brown, the tenant, Mr. Bellerby Lowerison made some excavations in these mounds in January, 1913. The results noted by Mr. Lowerison were as follows:—
“27, 1, '13.—Made longitudinal section in 5th mound from north (not counting road-mound), 7 yds. long, 4 ft. wide. Strata as follow:—1, humus, 6 inches; 2, yellow loam, 2 ft.; 3, clayey loam, 2 ft.; 4, whitey grey clay, 3 inches ; 5, yellow loam like (2), 2 ft.; 6, grey sandy clay (boulder?), 9 inches.