1. Finkel, T & Holbrook, NJ (2000) Oxidants, oxidative stress and the biology of ageing. Nature 408, 239–247.
2. Valko, M, Leibfritz, D, Moncola, J, et al. (2007) Free radicals and antioxidants in normal physiological functions and human disease. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 39, 44–84.
3. Schafer, FQ & Buettner, GR (2001). Redox environment of the cell as viewed through the redox state of the glutathione disulfide/glutathione couple. Free Radic Biol Med 30, 1191–1212.
4. Dalle-Donne, I, Rossi, R, Colombo, R, et al. (2006) Biomarkers of oxidative damage in human disease. Clin Chem 52, 601–623.
5. Dhalla, NS, Temsah, RM & Netticadan, T (2000) Role of oxidative stress in cardiovascular diseases. J Hypertens 18, 655–673.
6. Jenner, P (2003) Oxidative stress in Parkinson’s disease. Ann Neurol 53, Suppl. 3, S26–S38.
7. Sayre, LM, Smith, MA & Perry, G (2001) Chemistry and biochemistry of oxidative stress in neurodegenerative disease. Curr Med Chem 8, 721–738.
8. Parikh, B & Patel, VH (2018) Total phenolic content and total antioxidant capacity of common Indian pulses and split pulses. J Food Sci Technol 55, 1499–1507.
9. Institute Of Medicine (2011) DRI: Dietary Reference Intake: Calcium and Vitamin D. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
10. Plum, LA & DeLuca, HF (2010) Vitamin D, disease and therapeutic opportunities. Nat Rev Drug Discov 9, 941–955.
11. Hoeck, AD & Pall, ML (2011) Will vitamin D supplementation ameliorate diseases characterized by chronic inflammation and fatigue? Med Hypotheses 76, 208–213.
12. Holick, MF (2004) Vitamin D: importance in the prevention of cancers, type 1 diabetes, heart disease, and osteoporosis. Am J Clin Nutr 79, 362–371.
13. Ticinesi, A, Meschi, T, Lauretani, F, et al. (2016) Nutrition and inflammation in older individuals: focus on vitamin D, n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and whey proteins. Nutrients 29, 186.
14. Wang, EW, Siu, PM, Pang, MY, et al. (2017) Vitamin D deficiency, oxidative stress and antioxidant status: only weak association seen in the absence of advanced age, obesity or pre-existing disease. Br J Nutr 118, 11–16.
15. Palacios, C & Gonzalez, L (2014) Is vitamin D deficiency a major global public health problem? J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 144, 138–145.
16. Ghiselli, A, Serafini, M, Natella, F, et al. (2000) Total antioxidant capacity as a tool to assess redox status: critical view and experimental data. Free Radic Biol Med 29, 1106–1114.
17. Namdev, S, Bhat, V, Adhisivam, B, et al. (2014) Oxidative stress and antioxidant status among neonates born to mothers with pre-eclampsia and their early outcome. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 27, 1481–1484.
18. Asemi, Z, Samimi, M, Tabassi, Z, et al. (2013) Vitamin supplementation affects serum high-sensitivity C-reactive protein, insulin resistance, and biomarkers of oxidative stress in pregnant women. J Nutr 143, 1432–1438.
19. de Medeiros Cavalcante, IG, Silva, AS, Costa, MJ, et al. (2015) Effect of vitamin D3 supplementation and influence of BsmI polymorphism of the VDR gene of the inflammatory profile and oxidative stress in elderly women with vitamin D insufficiency: vitamin D3 megadose reduces inflammatory markers. Exp Gerontol 66, 10–16.
20. Scholten, SD, Sergeev, IN, Song, Q, et al. (2015) Effects of vitamin D and quercetin, alone and in combination, on cardiorespiratory fitness and muscle function in physically active male adults. Open Access J Sports Med 6, 229–239.
21. Holick, MF, Binkley, NC, Bischoff-Ferrari, HA, et al. (2011) Evaluation, treatment, and prevention of vitamin D deficiency: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96, 1911–1930.
22. Levy, MA, McKinnon, T, Barker, T, et al. (2015) Predictors of vitamin D status in subjects that consume a vitamin D supplement. Eur J Clin Nutr 69, 84–89.
23. Nikooyeh, B, Neyestani, TR, Tayebinejad, N, et al. (2014) Daily intake of vitamin D- or calcium-vitamin D-fortified Persian yogurt drink (doogh) attenuates diabetes-induced oxidative stress: evidence for antioxidative properties of vitamin D. J Hum Nutr Diet 27, Suppl. 2, 276–283.
24. Shab-Bidar, S, Neyestani, TR & Djazayery, A (2015) The interactive effect of improvement of vitamin D status and VDR FokI variants on oxidative stress in type 2 diabetic subjects: a randomized controlled trial. Eur J Clin Nutr 69, 216–222.
25. Asemi, Z, Hashemi, T, Karamali, M, et al. (2013) Effects of vitamin D supplementation on glucose metabolism, lipid concentrations, inflammation, and oxidative stress in gestational diabetes: a double-blind randomized controlled clinical trial. Am J Clin Nutr 98, 1425–1432.
26. Eftekhari, MH, Akbarzadeh, M, Dabbaghmanesh, MH, et al. (2014) The effect of calcitriol on lipid profile and oxidative stress in hyperlipidemic patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. ARYA Atheroscler 10, 82–88.
27. Yiu, YF, Yiu, KH, Siu, CW, et al. (2013) Randomized controlled trial of vitamin D supplement on endothelial function in patients with type 2 diabetes. Atherosclerosis 227, 140–146.
28. Tamadon, MR, Soleimani, A, Keneshlou, F, et al. (2018) Clinical trial on the effects of vitamin D supplementation on metabolic profiles in diabetic hemodialysis. Horm Metab Res 50, 50–55.
29. Martins, D, Meng, YX, Tareen, N, et al. (2014) The effect of short term vitamin D supplementation on the inflammatory and oxidative mediators of arterial stiffness. Health (Irvine Calif) 6, 1503–1511.
30. Witham, MD, Dove, FJ, Sugden, JA, et al. (2012) The effect of vitamin D replacement on markers of vascular health in stroke patients – a randomised controlled trial. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 22, 864–870.
31. Bischoff-Ferrari, HA, Giovannucci, E, Willett, WC, et al. (2006) Estimation of optimal serum concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D for multiple health outcomes. Am J Clin Nutr 84, 18–28.
32. Wu, CC, Chang, JH, Chen, CC, et al. (2011) Calcitriol treatment attenuates inflammation and oxidative stress in hemodyalisis patients with secondary hyperparathyroidism. Tohoku J Exp Med 223, 153–159.
33. Sharifi, N, Amani, R, Hajiani, E, et al. (2014) Does vitamin D improve liver enzymes, oxidative stress, and inflammatory biomarkers in adults with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease? Endocrine 47, 70–80.
34. Sepehrmanesh, Z, Kolahdooz, F, Abedi, F, et al. (2016) Vitamin D supplementation affects the Beck Depression Inventory, insulin resistance, and biomarkers of oxidative stress in patients with major depressive disorder: a randomized, controlled clinical trial. J Nutr 146, 243–248.
35. Tarcin, O, Yavuz, DG, Ozben, B, et al. (2009) Effect of vitamin D deficiency and replacement on endothelial function in asymptomatic subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94, 4023–4030.
36. Radovic, J, Lazaravic, D, Nikolic, I, et al. (2012) Effect of alfacalcidol on oxidative stress and disease activity in JIA patients. Ann Paediatr Rheumatol 1, 126–132.
37. Witham, MD, Adams, F, McSwiggan, S, et al. (2015) Effect of intermittent vitamin D3 on vascular function and symptoms in chronic fatigue syndrome – a randomised controlled trial. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 25, 287–294.
38. Nasri, K, Akrami, S, Rahimi, M, et al. (2017) The effects of vitamin D and evening primrose oil co-supplementation on lipid profiles and biomarkers of oxidative stress in vitamin D-deficient women with polycystic ovary syndrome: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Endocr Res 43, 1–10.
39. Karamali, M, Beihaghi, E, Mohammadi, AA, et al. (2015) Effects of high-dose vitamin D supplementation on metabolic status and pregnancy outcomes in pregnant women at risk for pre-eclampsia. Horm Metab Res 47, 867–872.