2. Satoh, H & Omura, T (1979) Induction of mutation by the treatment of fertilized egg cell with N-methyl-N-nitrosourea in rice. J Fac Agr Kyushu Univ 24, 165–174.
3. Wada, T, Tsubone, M, Inoue, T, et al. (2010) ‘Genkitsukushi’, a new rice [Oryza sativa] cultivar with tolerance to high temperature during maturing period and high eating quality. Bull Fukuoka Agric Res Cent 29, 1–9.
4. Okamoto, K, Nishimiya, T, Hirayama, M, et al. (2015) A new rice variety ‘Fukumaru’. Bull Ibaraki Plant Biotech Inst 15, 33–40.
5. Maeda, H, Nemoto, H, Iida, S, et al. (2001) A new rice variety with giant embryos, ‘Haiminori’. Breed Sci 51, 211–213.
6. Melby, MK & Takeda, W (2014) Lifestyle constraints, not inadequate nutrition education, cause gap between breakfast ideals and realities among Japanese in Tokyo. Appetite 72, 37–49.
7. Adachi, M (2008) Theories of nutrition education and promotion in Japan: enactment of the ‘Food Education Basic Law’. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 17, Suppl. 1, 180–184.
8. Hamajima, H, Matsunaga, H, Fujikawa, A, et al. (2016) Japanese traditional dietary fungus koji Aspergillus oryzae functions as a prebiotic for Blautia coccoides through glycosylceramide: Japanese dietary fungus koji is a new prebiotic. Springerplus 5, 1321.
9. Funatsu, S, Kondoh, T, Kawase, T, et al. (2015) Long-term consumption of dried bonito dashi (a traditional Japanese fish stock) reduces anxiety and modifies central amino acid levels in rats. Nutr Neurosci 18, 256–264.
10. Golozar, A, Khalili, D, Etemadi, A, et al. (2017) White rice intake and incidence of type-2 diabetes: analysis of two prospective cohort studies from Iran. BMC Public Health 17, 133.
11. Saneei, P, Larijani, B & Esmaillzadeh, A (2017) Rice consumption, incidence of chronic diseases and risk of mortality: meta-analysis of cohort studies. Public Health Nutr 20, 233–244.
12. Foster, GD, Wyatt, HR, Hill, JO, et al. (2003) A randomized trial of a low-carbohydrate diet for obesity. N Engl J Med 348, 2082–2090.
13. Czyżewska-Majchrzak, Ł, Grzelak, T, Kramkowska, M, et al. (2014) The use of low-carbohydrate diet in type 2 diabetes - benefits and risks. Ann Agric Environ Med 21, 320–326.
14. Hickey, JT, Hickey, L, Yancy, WS, et al. (2003) Clinical use of a carbohydrate-restricted diet to treat the dyslipidemia of the metabolic syndrome. Metab Syndr Relat Disord 1, 227–232.
15. Eshak, ES, Iso, H, Date, C, et al. (2011) Rice intake is associated with reduced risk of mortality from cardiovascular disease in Japanese men but not women. J Nutr 141, 595–602.
16. Mizuno, H, Fukumori, T, Liu, K, et al. (2012) The influence of heating and humidifying by humidified air on GABA generation and quality in paddy. J Jpn Soc Agric Mach 74, 226–233 (in Japanese).
17. Mizuno, H, Fukumori, T, Liu, K, et al. (2012) Development of GABA enriching equipment for brown rice by heating and humidifying of moist air. J Jpn Soc Agric Mach 74, 234–243 (in Japanese).
18. Jeng, TL, Ho, PT, Shih, YJ, et al. (2011) Comparisons of protein, lipid, phenolics, γ-oryzanol, vitamin E, and mineral contents in bran layer of sodium azide-induced red rice mutants. J Sci Food Agric 91, 1459–1465.
19. Nishimura, M, Kusaba, M, Miyahara, K, et al. (2005) New rice varieties with low levels of easy-to-digest protein, ‘LGC-Katsu’ and ‘LGC-Jun’. Breed Sci 55, 103–105.
20. Ogo, Y, Wakasa, Y, Hirano, K, et al. (2014) Generation of transgenic rice with reduced content of major and novel high molecular weight allergens. Rice (N Y) 7, 19.
21. Ceriello, A, Esposito, K, Piconi, L, et al. (2008) Glucose ‘peak’ and glucose ‘spike’: Impact on endothelial function and oxidative stress. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 82, 262–267.
22. Bonora, E & Muggeo, M (2001) Postprandial blood glucose as a risk factor for cardiovascular disease in Type II diabetes: the epidemiological evidence. Diabetologia 44, 2107–2114.
23. Brites, CM, Trigo, MJ, Carrapiço, B, et al. (2011) Maize and resistant starch enriched breads reduce postprandial glycemic responses in rats. Nutr Res 31, 302–308.
24. Klosterbuer, AS, Thomas, W & Slavin, JL (2012) Resistant starch and pullulan reduce postprandial glucose, insulin, and GLP-1, but have no effect on satiety in healthy humans. J Agric Food Chem 60, 11928–11934.
25. Tsuiki, K, Fujisawa, H, Itoh, A, et al. (2016) Alterations of starch structure lead to increased resistant starch of steamed rice: identification of high resistant starch rice lines. J Cereal Sci 68, 88–92.
26. Goto, Y, Kakizaki, M & Masaki, N (1976) Production of spontaneous diabetic rats by repetition of selective breeding. Tohoku J Exp Med 119, 85–90.
27. International Rice Genome Sequencing Project (2005) The map-based sequence of the rice genome. Nature 436, 793–800.
28. Fujita, N, Yoshida, M, Kondo, T, et al. (2007) Characterization of SSIIIa-deficient mutants of rice: The function of SSIIIa and pleiotropic effects by SSIIIa deficiency in the rice endosperm. Plant Physiol 144, 2009–2023.
29. Asai, H, Abe, N, Matsushima, R, et al. (2014) Deficiencies in both starch synthase IIIa and branching enzyme IIb lead to a significant increase in amylose in SSIIa-inactive japonica rice seeds. J Exp Bot 65, 5497–5507.
30. Toyosawa, Y, Kawagoe, Y, Matsushima, R, et al. (2016) Deficiency of starch synthase IIIa and IVb alters starch granule morphology from polyhedral to spherical in rice endosperm. Plant Physiol 170, 1255–1270.
31. Abe, N, Asai, H, Yago, H, et al. (2014) Relationships between starch synthase I and branching enzyme isozymes determined using double mutant rice lines. BMC Plant Biol 14, 80.
32. Hayashi, M, Kodama, M, Nakamura, Y, et al. (2015) Thermal and pasting properties, morphology of starch granules, and crystallinity of endosperm starch in the rice SSI and SSIIIa double-mutant. J Appl Glycosci 62, 81–86.
33. Nishi, A, Nakamura, Y, Tanaka, N, et al. (2001) Biochemical and genetic analysis of the effects of amylose-extender mutation in rice endosperm. Plant Physiol 127, 459–472.
34. Ando, R, Kageshima, F, Takaguchi, H, et al. (2013) Food application tests of starches in waxy mutant rice lines. Jpn Soc Appl Glycosci 3, 213–221 (in Japanese).
35. Folch, J, Lees, M & Sloane Stanley, GH (1957) A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipides from animal tissues. J Biol Chem 226, 497–509.
36. Clarke, J, McClenaghan, NH, Barnett, CR, et al. (1995) BRIN-BG7, a novel glucose-responsive insulin-secreting cell-line produced by electrofusion. Diabetologia 38, A108–A108.
37. McClenaghan, NH, Barnett, CR, O’Harte, FP, et al. (1996) Characteristics of BRIN-BG5 and BRIN-BG7, two novel glucose-responsive insulin-secreting cell lines produced by electrofusion. J Endocrinol 148, 409–417.
38. Moran, BM, Abdel-Wahab, YH, Flatt, PR, et al. (2014) Evaluation of the insulin-releasing and glucose-lowering effects of GPR120 activation in pancreatic β-cells. Diabetes Obes Metab 16, 1128–1139.
39. Tsugawa, H, Bamba, T, Shinohara, M, et al. (2011) Practical non-targeted gas chromatography/mass spectrometry-based metabolomics platform for metabolic phenotype analysis. J Biosci Bioeng 112, 292–298.
40. Nakamura, Y (2002) Towards a better understanding of the metabolic system for amylopectin biosynthesis in plants: rice endosperm as a model tissue. Plant Cell Physiol 43, 718–725.
41. Nakamura, S, Satoh, H & Ohtsubo, K (2010) Palatable and bio-functional wheat/rice products developed from pre-germinated brown rice of super-hard cultivar EM10. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 74, 1164–1172.
42. Matthews, DR, Rudenski, AS, Burnett, MA, et al. (1985) The half-life of endogenous insulin and C-peptide in man assessed by somatostatin suppression. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 23, 71–79.
43. Jung, EH, Kim, SR, Hwang, IK, et al. (2007) Hypoglycemic effects of a phenolic acid fraction of rice bran and ferulic acid in C57BL/KsJ-db/db mice. J Agric Food Chem 55, 9800–9804.
44. Yu, S, Nehus, ZT, Badger, TM, et al. (2007) Quantification of vitamin E and gamma-oryzanol components in rice germ and bran. J Agric Food Chem 55, 7308–7313.
45. Zaima, N, Goto-Inoue, N, Hayasaka, T, et al. (2010) Application of imaging mass spectrometry for the analysis of Oryza sativa rice. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 24, 2723–2729.
46. Wu, XW, Lee, CC, Muzny, DM, et al. (1989) Urate oxidase: primary structure and evolutionary implications. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 86, 9412–9416.
47. Zajac, A, Poprzecki, S, Zebrowska, A, et al. (2010) Arginine and ornithine supplementation increases growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor-1 serum levels after heavy-resistance exercise in strength-trained athletes. J Strength Cond Res 24, 1082–1090.
48. Leiss, V, Flockerzie, K, Novakovic, A, et al. (2014) Insulin secretion stimulated by L-arginine and its metabolite L-ornithine depends on Gα(i2). Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 307, E800–E812.
49. Vadivel, A, Aschner, JL, Rey-Parra, GJ, et al. (2010)
L-Citrulline attenuates arrested alveolar growth and pulmonary hypertension in oxygen-induced lung injury in newborn rats. Pediatr Res 68, 519–525.
50. Redestig, H, Kusano, M, Ebana, K, et al. (2011) Exploring molecular backgrounds of quality traits in rice by predictive models based on high-coverage metabolomics. BMC Syst Biol 5, 176.
52. Okuno, K, Fuwa, H & Yano, M (1983) A new mutant-gene lowering amylose content in endosperm starch of rice, Oryza sativa L. Jpn J Breed 33, 387–394 (in Japanese).