Batterham, ES & Bayley, HS (1989) Effect of frequency of feeding of diets containing free or protein-bound lysine on the oxidation of [14C]lysine or [14C]phenylalanine by growing pigs. Br J Nutr 62, 647–655.
2. van den Borne, JJGC, Schrama, JW, Heetkamp, MJW, et al. (2007) Synchronising the availability of amino acids and glucose increases protein retention in pigs. Animal 1, 666–674.
3. Minami, H & McCallum, RW (1984) The physiology and pathophysiology of gastric emptying in humans. Gastroenterology 86, 1592–1610.
Collins, PJ, Houghton, LA, Read, NW, et al. (1991) Role of the proximal and distal stomach in mixed solid and liquid meal emptying. Gut 32, 615–619.
Holt, S, Reid, J, Taylor, TV, et al. (1982) Gastric emptying of solids in man. Gut 23, 292–296.
Kwiatek, MA, Menne, D, Steingoetter, A, et al. (2009) Effect of meal volume and calorie load on postprandial gastric function and emptying: studies under physiological conditions by combined fiber-optic pressure measurement and MRI. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 297, G894–G901.
Strunz, UT & Grossman, MI (1978) Effect of intragastric pressure on gastric emptying and secretion. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 235, E552–E555.
8. Meyer, JH, Ohashi, H, Jehn, D, et al. (1981) Size of liver particles emptied from the human stomach. Gastroenterology 80, 1489–1496.
Marciani, L, Gowland, PA, Fillery-Travis, A, et al. (2001) Assessment of antral grinding of a model solid meal with echo-planar imaging. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 280, G844–G849.
Gregory, PC, McFadyen, M & Rayner, DV (1989) Control of gastric emptying in the pig: influence of duodenal infusions of glucose and emulsified fat. Exp Physiol 74, 109–119.
van Citters, GW & Lin, HC (2006) Ileal brake: neuropeptidergic control of intestinal transit. Curr Gastroenterol Rep 8, 367–373.
Gregory, PC, McFadyen, M & Rayner, DV (1990) Pattern of gastric emptying in the pig: relation to feeding. Br J Nutr 64, 45–58.
Houghton, LA, Read, NW, Heddle, R, et al. (1988) Relationship of the motor activity of the antrum, pylorus, and duodenum to gastric emptying of a solid–liquid mixed meal. Gastroenterology 94, 1285–1291.
14. Cone, JW (1993) The influence of pH on in vitro protein solubility and enzymatic hydrolysis of protein in feedstuffs. J Anim Feed Sci 2, 67–72.
de Wit, JN (1998) Nutritional and functional characteristics of whey proteins in food products. J Dairy Sci 81, 597–608.
Camilleri, M, Malagelada, JR, Brown, ML, et al. (1985) Relation between antral motility and gastric emptying of solids and liquids in humans. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 249, G580–G585.
Wilfart, A, Montagne, L, Simmins, H, et al. (2007) Digesta transit in different segments of the gastrointestinal tract of pigs as affected by insoluble fibre supplied by wheat bran. Br J Nutr 98, 54–62.
18. CVB (2005) Protocol for a Faecal Digestibility Trial with Intact Growing Pigs. Lelystad, The Netherlands: Centraal Veevoeder Bureau.
Wilfart, A, Jaguelin-Peyraud, Y, Simmins, H, et al. (2008) Kinetics of enzymatic digestion of feeds as estimated by a stepwise in vitro method. Anim Feed Sci Technol 141, 171–183.
20. Chen, H (2017) Protein digestion kinetics in pigs and poultry. PhD Dissertation, Wageningen University, The Netherlands.
Anguita, M, Gasa, J, Martín-Orúe, SM, et al. (2006) Study of the effect of technological processes on starch hydrolysis, non-starch polysaccharides solubilization and physicochemical properties of different ingredients using a two-step in vitro system. Anim Feed Sci Technol 129, 99–115.
Jagger, S, Wiseman, J, Cole, DJA, et al. (1992) Evaluation of inert markers for the determination of ileal and faecal apparent digestibility values in the pig. Br J Nutr 68, 729–739.
23. Udén, P, Colucci, PE & Van Soest, PJ (1980) Investigation of chromium, cerium and cobalt as markers in digesta. Rate of passage studies. J Sci Food Agric 31, 625–632.
Boisen, S & Fernández, JA (1997) Prediction of the total tract digestibility of energy in feedstuffs and pig diets by in vitro analyses. Anim Feed Sci Technol 68, 277–286.
25. CVB (2016) Veevoedertabel 2016: chemische samenstellingen en nutritionele waarden van voedermiddelen (Feed Table 2016: Chemical Composition and Nutritional Value of Feed Ingredients). Rijswijk, The Netherlands: Centraal Veevoeder Bureau.
27. Noblet, J, Fortune, H, Shi, XS, et al. (1994) Prediction of net energy value of feeds for growing pigs. J Anim Sci 72, 344–354.
28. ISO 6496:1999 (1999) Animal Feeding Stuffs – Determination of Moisture and Other Volatile Matter Content, vol. ISO 6496:1999. Geneva: International Organization for Standardization.
29. ISO 5983:2005 (2005) Animal Feeding Stuffs – Determination of Nitrogen Content and Calculation of Crude Protein Content – Part 1 Kjeldahl Method, vol. ISO 5983:2005. Geneva: International Organization for Standardization.
30. ISO 15914:2004 (2004) Animal Feeding Stuffs – Enzymatic Determination of Total Starch Content, vol. ISO 15914:2004. Geneva: International Organization for Standardization.
van Vuuren, AM, van der Koelen, CJ, Valk, H, et al. (1993) Effects of partial replacement of ryegrass by low protein feeds on rumen fermentation and nitrogen loss by dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 76, 2982–2993.
32. Myers, WD, Ludden, PA, Nayigihugu, V, et al. (2004) A procedure for the preparation and quantitative analysis of samples for titanium dioxide. J Anim Sci 82, 179–183.
33. van Bussel, W, Kerkhof, F, van Kessel, T, et al. (2010) Accurate determination of titanium as titanium dioxide for limited sample size digestibility studies of feed and food matrices by inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometry with real-time simultaneous internal standardization. Atom Spectrosc 31, 81–88.
Williams, CH, David, DJ & Iismaa, O (1962) The determination of chromic oxide in faeces samples by atomic absorption spectrophotometry. J Agric Sci 59, 381–385.
35. de Vries, S & Gerrits, WJJ (2018) The use of tracers or markers in digestion studies. In Feed Evaluation Science, pp. 274–295 [PJH Moughan and WH Hendriks, editors]. Wageningen: Wageningen Academic Publishers.
Kotb, AR & Luckey, TD (1972) Markers in nutrition. Nutr Abstr Rev 42, 813–845.
Dikeman, CL, Barry, KA, Murphy, MR, et al. (2007) Diet and measurement techniques affect small intestinal digesta viscosity among dogs. Nutr Res 27, 56–65.
Shelat, KJ, Nicholson, T, Flanagan, BM, et al. (2015) Rheology and microstructure characterisation of small intestinal digesta from pigs fed a red meat-containing Western-style diet. Food Hydrocolloids 44, 300–308.
39. Moore, JG, Christian, PE & Coleman, RE (1981) Gastric emptying of varying meal weight and composition in man. Dig Dis Sci 26, 16–22.
Lin, HC, Doty, JE, Reedy, TJ, et al. (1989) Inhibition of gastric emptying by glucose depends on length of intestine exposed to nutrient. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 256, G404–G411.
Kong, F & Singh, RP (2008) Disintegration of solid foods in human stomach. J Food Sci 73, R67–R80.
Rerat, AA (1985) Intestinal absorption of end products from digestion of carbohydrates and proteins in the pig. Arch Tierernaehr 35, 461–480.
Guerin, S, Ramonet, Y, Lecloarec, J, et al. (2001) Changes in intragastric meal distribution are better predictors of gastric emptying rate in conscious pigs than are meal viscosity or dietary fibre concentration. Br J Nutr 85, 343–350.