1. Zimmermann, MB & Andersson, M (2012) Update on iodine status worldwide. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes 19, 382–387.
2. Mao, G, Ding, G, Lou, X, et al. (2015) Survey of iodine nutritional status in 2011, Zhejiang, China. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 24, 234–244.
3. Liu, P, Su, XH, Shen, HM, et al. (2015) National iodine deficiency disorders: an analysis of surveillance data in 2011. Chin J Endemiol 34, 181–185.
4. Zimmermann, MB, Ito, Y, Hess, SY, et al. (2005) High thyroid volume in children with excess dietary iodine intakes. Am J Clin Nutr 81, 840–844.
5. Carvalho, AL, Meirelles, CJ, Oliveira, LA, et al. (2012) Excessive iodine intake in schoolchildren. Eur J Nutr 51, 557–562.
6. Congress, CNS (2014) Chinese DRIs Handbook. Beijing: China Standards Press.
7. Sang, Z, Wang, PP, Yao, Z, et al. (2012) Exploration of the safe upper level of iodine intake in euthyroid Chinese adults: a randomized double-blind trial. Am J Clin Nutr 95, 367–373.
8. Longvah, T, Toteja, GS & Upadhyay, A (2013) Iodine content in bread, milk and the retention of inherent iodine in commonly used Indian recipes. Food Chem 136, 384–388.
9. Vought, RL, London, WT & Brown, FA (1964) A note on atmospheric iodine and its absorption in man. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 24, 414–416.
10. Costa, A, Bacci, R, Campagnoli, C, et al. (1969) Iodine balance studies in pregnancy. Folia Endocrinol 22, 364–372.
11. Harrison, MT (1968) Iodine balance in man. Postgrad Med J 44, 69–71.
12. Dworkin, HJ, Jacquez, JA & Beierwaltes, WH (1966) Relationship of iodine ingestion to iodine excretion in pregnancy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 26, 1329–1342.
13. Bakker, B, Vulsma, T, de Randamie, J, et al. (1999) A negative iodine balance is found in healthy neonates compared with neonates with thyroid agenesis. J Endocrinol 161, 115–120.
14. Harrison, MT, Harden, RM, Alexander, WD, et al. (1965) Iodine balance studies in patients with normal and abnormal thyroid function. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 25, 1077–1084.
15. Vought, RL & London, WT (1967) Iodine intake, excretion and thyroidal accumulation in healthy subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 27, 913–919.
16. Dold, S, Zimmermann, MB, Baumgartner, J, et al. (2016) A dose–response crossover iodine balance study to determine iodine requirements in early infancy. Am J Clin Nutr 104, 620–628.
17. Vought, RL, London, WT, Lutwak, L, et al. (1963) Reliability of estimates of serum inorganic iodine and daily fecal and urinary iodine excretion from single casual specimens. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 23, 1218–1228.
18. Jahreis, G, Hausmann, W, Kiessling, G, et al. (2001) Bioavailability of iodine from normal diets rich in dairy products – results of balance studies in women. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 109, 163–167.
19. Lightowler, HJ & Davies, GJ (2002) Assessment of iodine intake in vegans: weighed dietary record vs duplicate portion technique. Eur J Clin Nutr 56, 765–770.
20. Yunyi, C, Jun, L, Ping, L, et al. (2013) Determination of contents and modes of occurrence of iodine in air by sequential filters sampling followed by pyrohydrolysis for preparation and catalytic spectrophotometry for measurement. J Nanchang Univ 35, 323–326.
21. Malamos, B, Koutras, DA, Marketos, SG, et al. (1967) Endemic goiter in Greece: an iodine balance study in the field. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 27, 1372–1380.
22. Lamke, LO, Nilsson, GE & Reithner, HL (1977) Insensible perspiration from the skin under standardized environmental conditions. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 37, 325–331.
23. Zhao, SS, Liu, YM, Yao, JB, et al. (1987) The estimation of body surface area of adult Chinese females. Acta Nutri Sin 9, 200–207.
24. Mao, IF, Ko, YC & Chen, ML (1990) The stability of iodine in human sweat. Jpn J Physiol 40, 693–700.
25. CCDC (2008) Method for Determination of Iodine in Foodstuff by As(III)-Ce 4+ Catalytic Spectrophotometry, pp. 6. Beijing: WS. The Ministry of Health of the People’s Republic of China, Standardization Administration of the People’s Republic of China.
26. Dold, S, Baumgartner, J, Zeder, C, et al. (2016) Optimization of a new mass spectrometry method for measurement of breast milk iodine concentrations and an assessment of the effect of analytic method and timing of within-feed sample collection on breast milk iodine concentrations. Thyroid 26, 287–295.
27. Mao, G, Zhu, W, Mo, Z, et al. (2018) Iodine deficiency in pregnant women after the adoption of the new provincial standard for salt iodization in Zhejiang Province, China. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 18, 313.
28. CCDC (2006) Standard Examination Methods for Drinking Water—Nonmetal Parameters, pp. 52. Beijing: WS. The Ministry of Health of the People’s Republic of China, Standardization Administration of the People’s Republic of China.
29. Yaping, Z, Yuqin, Y, Liejun, L, et al. (2013) Revised method with low usage amount of arsenic trioxide for testing urinary iodine by As(III)-Ce4+ catalytic spectrophotometry using ammonium persulfate digestion. Chin J Endemiol 32, 95–100.
30. Chen, W, Wu, Y, Lin, L, et al. (2016) 24-hour urine samples are more reproducible than spot urine samples for evaluation of iodine status in school-age children. J Nutr 146, 142–146.
31. Institute of Medicine (2001) Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Arsenic, Boron, Chromium, Copper, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Nickel, Silicon, Vanadium, and Zinc. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.
32. Fisher, DA & Oddie, TH (1969) Thyroid iodine content and turnover in euthyroid subjects: validity of estimation of thyroid iodine accumulation from short-term clearance studies. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 29, 721–727.
33. DeGroot, LJ (1966) Kinetic analysis of iodine metabolism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 26, 149–173.
34. Thomson, CD, Packer, MA, Butler, JA, et al. (2001) Urinary selenium and iodine during pregnancy and lactation. J Trace Elem Med Biol 14, 210–217.
35. Shan, Z, Chen, L, Lian, X, et al. (2016) Iodine status and prevalence of thyroid disorders after introduction of mandatory universal salt iodization for 16 years in China: a cross-sectional study in 10 cities. Thyroid 26, 1125–1130.
36. Wu, Y, Li, X, Chang, S, et al. (2012) Variable iodine intake persists in the context of universal salt iodization in China. J Nutr 142, 1728–1734.
37. Malvaux, P, Beckers, C & De Visscher, M (1969) Iodine balance studies in nongoitrous children and in adolescents on low iodine intake. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 29, 79–84.
38. Smyth, PP, Hetherton, AM, Smith, DF, et al. (1997) Maternal iodine status and thyroid volume during pregnancy: correlation with neonatal iodine intake. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82, 2840–2843.
39. Judprasong, K, Jongjaithet, N & Chavasit, V (2016) Comparison of methods for iodine analysis in foods. Food Chem 193, 12–17.
40. Congress CNS (2001) Chinese DRIs. Beijing: China Light Industry Press.
41. Otten, JJHJP & Meyers, LD (2006) Dietary Reference Intakes. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.