1. Black, MM, Walker, SP, Fernald, LC, et al. (2017) Early childhood development coming of age: science through the life course. Lancet 389, 77–90.
2. Grantham-McGregor, S, Cheung, YB, Cueto, S, et al. (2007) Developmental potential in the first 5 years for children in developing countries. Lancet 369, 60–70.
3. Black, RE, Victora, CG, Walker, SP, et al. (2013) Maternal and child undernutrition and overweight in low-income and middle-income countries. Lancet 382, 427–451.
4. Prado, EL & Dewey, KG (2014) Nutrition and brain development in early life. Nutr Rev 72, 267–284.
5. Aboud, FE & Yousafzai, AK (2015) Global health and development in early childhood. Annu Rev Psychol 66, 433–457.
6. Larson, LM & Yousafzai, AK (2017) A meta-analysis of nutrition interventions on mental development of children under-two in low- and middle-income countries. Matern Child Nutr 13, e12229.
7. Yousafzai, AK & Aboud, F (2014) Review of implementation processes for integrated nutrition and psychosocial stimulation interventions. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1308, 33–45.
8. Yousafzai, AK, Rasheed, MA, Rizvi, A, et al. (2014) Effect of integrated responsive stimulation and nutrition interventions in the Lady Health Worker programme in Pakistan on child development, growth, and health outcomes: a cluster-randomised factorial effectiveness trial. Lancet 384, 1282–1293.
9. Matias, SL, Mridha, MK, Tofail, F, et al. (2017) Home fortification during the first 1000 d improves child development in Bangladesh: a cluster-randomized effectiveness trial. Am J Clin Nutr 105, 958–969.
10. Singla, DR, Shafique, S, Zlotkin, SH, et al. (2014) A 25-element micronutrient powder benefits language but not cognition in Bangladeshi full term low birth weight children. J Nutr 144, 1803–1810.
11. Georgieff, MK (2007) Nutrition and the developing brain: nutrient priorities and measurement.
Am J Clin Nutr 85, 614s–620s.
12. Colombo, J (1993) Infant Cognition: Predicting Later Intellectual Functioning, vol. 5. Newbury Park: Sage Publications.
13. Kail, R (1988) Developmental functions for speeds of cognitive processes. J Exp Child Psychol 45, 339–364.
14. Wainwright, PE & Colombo, J (2006) Nutrition and the development of cognitive functions: interpretation of behavioral studies in animals and human infants. Am J Clin Nutr 84, 961–970.
15. Christian, P, Murray-Kolb, LE, Tielsch, JM, et al. (2014) Associations between preterm birth, small-for-gestational age, and neonatal morbidity and cognitive function among school-age children in Nepal. BMC Pediatr 14, 58.
16. Diamond, A, Prevor, MB, Callender, G, et al. (1997) Prefrontal cortex cognitive deficits in children treated early and continuously for PKU. Monogr Soc Res Child Dev 62, i–v, 1–208.
17. Burden, MJ, Westerlund, AJ, Armony-Sivan, R, et al. (2007) An event-related potential study of attention and recognition memory in infants with iron-deficiency anemia. Pediatrics 120, e336–e345.
18. Colombo, J, Zavaleta, N, Kannass, KN, et al. (2014) Zinc supplementation sustained normative neurodevelopment in a randomized, controlled trial of Peruvian infants aged 6–18 months. J Nutr 144, 1298–1305.
19. Nelson, CA, Wewerka, S, Thomas, KM, et al. (2000) Neurocognitive sequelae of infants of diabetic mothers. Behav Neurosci 114, 950.
20. Lu, C, Black, MM & Richter, LM (2016) Risk of poor development in young children in low-income and middle-income countries: an estimation and analysis at the global, regional, and country level. Lancet Glob Health 4, e916–e922.
21. Fernandez‐Rao, S, Hurley, KM, Nair, KM, et al. (2014) Integrating nutrition and early child‐development interventions among infants and preschoolers in rural India. Ann NY Acad Sci 1308, 218–231.
22. Hirve, S, Martini, E, Juvekar, SK, et al. (2013) Delivering sprinkles plus through the integrated child development services (ICDS) to reduce anemia in pre-school children in India. Indian J Pediatr 80, 990–995.
23. International Institute of Population Sciences (2016) National Family Health Survey (NFHS-4), 2015–2016. Mumbai: International Institute of Population Sciences.
25. Young, M, Kekre, P, Verma, P, et al. (2015) A formative research study to integrate home fortification of complementary foods into a family health program in Bihar: process and methodology. Eur J Nutr Food Safety 5, 534–535.
26. Murray, DM (1998) Design and Analysis of Group-Randomized Trials, vol. 29. New York: Oxford University Press.
27. National Institute of Nutrition (2010) Nutrient Requirements and Recommended Dietary Allowances for Indians. A Report of the Expert Group of the Indian Council of Medical Research. Hyderabad: National Institute of Nutrition.
28. Prado, EL, Abubakar, AA, Abbeddou, S, et al. (2014) Extending the developmental milestones checklist for use in a different context in sub-Saharan Africa. Acta Paediatr 103, 447–454.
29. Bayley, N (2006) Bayley Scales of Infant Development Manual, 3rd ed. San Antonio, TX: The Psychological Corporation.
30. Abubakar, A, Holding, P, Van de Vijver, F, et al. (2010) Developmental monitoring using caregiver reports in a resource-limited setting: the case of Kilifi, Kenya. Acta Paediatr 99, 291–297.
31. Larson, LM, Young, MF, Ramakrishnan, U, et al. (2017) A cross-sectional survey in rural Bihar, India, indicates that nutritional status, diet, and stimulation are associated with motor and mental development in young children. J Nutr 147, 1578–1585.
32. Ahun, M (2015) Maternal and child health and development in rural Ghana. Masters of Psychology Master’s Thesis, McGill University.
33. Diamond, A (1985) Development of the ability to use recall to guide action, as indicated by infants’ performance on AB. Child Dev 56, 868–883.
34. Bauer, PJ (2010) Declarative memory in infancy: an introduction to typical and atypical development. Adv Child Dev Behav 38, 1–25.
35. Bauer, PJ (2005) New developments in the study of infant memory. In Handbook of Research Methods in Developmental Science, pp. 467–488 [DM Teti, editor]. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing.
36. Reed, JM & Squire, LR (1998) Retrograde amnesia for facts and events: findings from four new cases. J Neurosci 18, 3943–3954.
37. Hamadani, JD, Tofail, F, Hilaly, A, et al. (2010) Use of family care indicators and their relationship with child development in Bangladesh. J Health Popul Nutr 28, 23.
39. Ballard, T, Coates, J, Swindale, A, et al. (2011) Household Hunger Scale: Indicator Definition and Measurement Guide. Washington, DC: Food and Nutrition Technical Assistance II Project, FHI 360.
40. de Onis, M, Onyango, AW, Van den Broeck, J, et al. (2004) Measurement and standardization protocols for anthropometry used in the construction of a new international growth reference. Food Nutr Bull 25, S27–S36.
42. Young, MF, Mehta, R, Gosdin, L, et al. (2017) Impact of home fortification of complementary foods program on child anemia and stunting in Bihar, India. FASEB J 31, 165–167.
43. Sun, J, Mohay, H & O’Callaghan, M (2009) A comparison of executive function in very preterm and term infants at 8 months corrected age. Early Hum Dev 85, 225–230.
44. Heathcock, JC, Bhat, AN, Lobo, MA, et al. (2004) The performance of infants born preterm and full-term in the mobile paradigm: learning and memory. Phys Ther 84, 808–821.
45. Portillo-Reyes, V, Perez-Garcia, M, Loya-Mendez, Y, et al. (2014) Clinical significance of neuropsychological improvement after supplementation with omega-3 in 8–12 years old malnourished Mexican children: a randomized, double-blind, placebo and treatment clinical trial. Res Dev Disabil 35, 861–870.
46. Bhutta, ZA, Das, JK, Rizvi, A, et al. (2013) Evidence-based interventions for improvement of maternal and child nutrition: what can be done and at what cost? Lancet 382, 452–477.
47. Sullivan, KM, Mei, Z, Grummer-Strawn, L, et al. (2008) Haemoglobin adjustments to define anaemia. Trop Med Int Health 13, 1267–1271.
49. Thelen, E (1985) Developmental origins of motor coordination: leg movements in human infants. Dev Psychobiol 18, 1–22.
50. Wijnhoven, TM, de Onis, M, Onyango, AW, et al. (2004) Assessment of gross motor development in the WHO Multicentre Growth Reference Study. Food Nutr Bull 25, S37–S45.
51. Rubio-Codina, M, Araujo, MC, Attanasio, O, et al. (2016) Concurrent validity and feasibility of short tests currently used to measure early childhood development in large scale studies. PLOS ONE 11, e0160962.
52. McMurray, B (2007) Defusing the childhood vocabulary explosion. Science 317, 631.
53. Prado, EL, Maleta, K, Ashorn, P, et al. (2016) Effects of maternal and child lipid-based nutrient supplements on infant development: a randomized trial in Malawi. Am J Clin Nutr 103, 784–793.
54. Warthon-Medina, M, Qualter, P, Zavaleta, N, et al. (2015) The long term impact of micronutrient supplementation during infancy on cognition and executive function performance in pre-school children. Nutrients 7, 6606–6627.
55. Yousafzai, AK, Obradovic, J, Rasheed, MA, et al. (2016) Effects of responsive stimulation and nutrition interventions on children’s development and growth at age 4 years in a disadvantaged population in Pakistan: a longitudinal follow-up of a cluster-randomised factorial effectiveness trial. Lancet Glob Health 4, e548–e558.
56. Zelazo, PD, Anderson, JE, Richler, J, et al. (2013) II. NIH Toolbox Cognition Battery (CB): measuring executive function and attention. Monogr Soc Res Child Dev 78, 16–33.
57. Miyake, A, Friedman, NP, Emerson, MJ, et al. (2000) The unity and diversity of executive functions and their contributions to complex ‘Frontal Lobe’ tasks: a latent variable analysis. Cogn Psychol 41, 49–100.
58. Bauer, PJ, Dikmen, SS, Heaton, RK, et al. (2013) III. NIH Toolbox Cognition Battery (CB): measuring episodic memory. Monogr Soc Res Child Dev 78, 34–48.
59. Blair, C & Razza, RP (2007) Relating effortful control, executive function, and false belief understanding to emerging math and literacy ability in kindergarten. Child Dev 78, 647–663.
60. Eigsti, IM, Zayas, V, Mischel, W, et al. (2006) Predicting cognitive control from preschool to late adolescence and young adulthood. Psychol Sci 17, 478–484.
61. Aboud, FE, Bougma, K, Lemma, T, et al. (2017) Evaluation of the effects of iodized salt on the mental development of preschool-aged children: a cluster randomized trial in northern Ethiopia. Matern Child Nutr 13, e12322.
62. Fernald, LC, Kagawa, RM, Knauer, HA, et al. (2017) Promoting child development through group-based parent support within a cash transfer program: experimental effects on children’s outcomes. Dev Psychol 53, 222–236.
63. Zaslow, M, Anderson, R, Redd, Z, et al. (2016) I. Quality thresholds, features, and dosage in early care and education: introduction and literature review. Monogr Soc Res Child Dev 81, 7–26.