1. Cano-Marquina, A, Tarin, JJ & Cano, A (2013) The impact of coffee on health. Maturitas 75, 7–21.
2. Gonzalez de Mejia, E & Ramirez-Mares, MV (2014) Impact of caffeine and coffee on our health. Trends Endocrinol Metab 25, 489–492.
3. Dorea, JG & da Costa, TH (2005) Is coffee a functional food? Br J Nutr 93, 773–782.
4. Bhupathiraju, SN, Pan, A, Manson, JE, et al. (2014) Changes in coffee intake and subsequent risk of type 2 diabetes: three large cohorts of US men and women. Diabetologia 57, 1346–1354.
5. Ding, M, Bhupathiraju, SN, Chen, M, et al. (2014) Caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and a dose-response meta-analysis. Diabetes Care 37, 569–586.
6. Jiang, X, Zhang, D & Jiang, W (2013) Coffee and caffeine intake and incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus: a meta-analysis of prospective studies. Eur J Nutr 53, 25–38.
7. Ludwig, IA, Clifford, MN, Lean, ME, et al. (2014) Coffee: biochemistry and potential impact on health. Food Funct 5, 1695–1717.
8. Nuhu, AA (2014) Bioactive micronutrients in coffee: recent analytical approaches for characterization and quantification. ISRN Nutr 2014, 384230.
9. Liang, N & Kitts, DD (2014) Antioxidant property of coffee components: assessment of methods that define mechanisms of action. Molecules 19, 19180–19208.
10. Akash, MS, Rehman, K & Chen, S (2014) Effects of coffee on type 2 diabetes mellitus. Nutrition 30, 755–763.
11. Natella, F & Scaccini, C (2012) Role of coffee in modulation of diabetes risk. Nutr Rev 70, 207–217.
12. Casal, S & Rebelo, I (2017) Coffee: a dietary intervention on type 2 diabetes? Curr Med Chem 24, 376–383.
13. Louie, JC, Atkinson, F, Petocz, P, et al. (2008) Delayed effects of coffee, tea and sucrose on postprandial glycemia in lean, young, healthy adults. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 17, 657–662.
14. Bluck, L, Williams, R, Jackson, S, et al. (2013) Insulin sensitivity assessed by stable isotopes with oral glucose administration: validation with euglycaemic clamp. ISRN Endocrinol 2013, 189412.
15. Sousa, AG & da Costa, TH (2015) Usual coffee intake in Brazil: results from the National Dietary Survey 2008-9. Br J Nutr 113, 1615–1620.
16. Aston, L, Bluck, LJC, Stokes, C, et al. (2007) Effect of a low glycemic index diet on insulin sensitivity in overweight women. 15th ECO Conference. Int J Obes 31, S28.
17. Bluck, LJ, Clapperton, AT & Coward, WA (2006) A stable isotope minimal model protocol with oral glucose administration. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 20, 493–498.
18. Wang, BS, Wang, XJ & Gong, LK (2009) The construction of a Williams design and randomization in cross-over clinical trials using SAS. J Stat Softw 29, 1–10.
19. World Health Organization (2000) Obesity: Preventing and Managing the Global Epidemic. Report of a WHO Consultation
. Geneva: WHO.
20. Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (2001) Executive Summary of the Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol In Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). JAMA 285, 2486–2497.
21. Lukaski, HC, Bolonchuk, WW, Hall, CB, et al. (1985) Validation of tetrapolar bioelectrical impedance method to assess human body composition. J Appl Physiol 60, 1327–1332.
22. Sociedade Brasileira de Cardiologia (2010) VI Diretrizes brasileiras de hipertensão (VI Brazilian Guidelines on Hypertension). Arq Bras Cardiol 95, 1–51.
23. Bluck, LJC & Coward, WA (2004) The application of a simple algorithm to isotope ratio measurements by gas chromatography/combustion/isotope ratio mass spectrometry. Meas Sci Technol 15, 21–24.
24. Clapperton, AT & Bluck, LJC (2001) Measuring insulin sensitivity using 13C glucose and gas chromatography/combustion/isotope ratio mass spectrometry. Proc Nutr Soc 60, 217A.
25. Clapperton, AT, Coward, WA & Bluck, LJC (2009) Measurement of insulin sensitivity indices using 13C-glucose and gas chromatography/combustion/isotope ratio mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 16, 2009–2014.
26. Jackson, SJ, Waterhouse, SJ & Bluck, LJC (2007) A single glucose derivative suitable for gas chromatography/mass spectrometry and gas chromatography/combustion/isotope ratio mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 21, 3123–3128.
27. Littell, RC, Henry, PR & Ammerman, CB (1998) Statistical analysis of repeated measures data using SAS procedures. J Anim Sci 76, 1216–1231.
28. Narum, SR (2006) Beyond Bonferroni: less conservative analysis for conservation genetics. Conserv Genet 7, 783–787.
29. Matsuda, M & DeFronzo, RA (1999) Insulin sensitivity indices obtained from oral glucose tolerance testing: comparison with the euglycemic insulin clamp. Diabetes Care 22, 1462–1470.
30. Tunnicliffe, JM & Shearer, J (2008) Coffee, glucose homeostasis, and insulin resistance: physiological mechanisms and mediators. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 33, 1290–1300.
31. Meng, S, Cao, J, Feng, Q, et al. (2013) Roles of chlorogenic acid on regulating glucose and lipids metabolism: a review. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2013, 801457.
32. Kim, SD (2015) Alpha-glucosidase inhibitor isolated from coffee. J Microbiol Biotechnol 25, 174–177.
33. Johnston, KL, Clifford, MN & Morgan, LM (2003) Coffee acutely modifies gastrointestinal hormone secretion and glucose tolerance in humans: glycemic effects of chlorogenic acid and caffeine. Am J Clin Nutr 78, 728–733.
34. Thom, E (2007) The effect of chlorogenic acid enriched coffee on glucose absorption in healthy volunteers and its effect on body mass when used long-term in overweight and obese people. J Int Med Res 35, 900–908.
35. Aldughpassi, A & Wolever, TM (2009) Effect of coffee and tea on the glycaemic index of foods: no effect on mean but reduced variability. Br J Nutr 101, 1282–1285.
36. Moisey, LL, Robinson, LE & Graham, TE (2009) Consumption of caffeinated coffee and a high carbohydrate meal affects postprandial metabolism of a subsequent oral glucose tolerance test in young, healthy males. Br J Nutr 103, 833–841.
37. Gavrieli, A, Yannakoulia, M, Fragopoulou, E, et al. (2011) Caffeinated coffee does not acutely affect energy intake, appetite, or inflammation but prevents serum cortisol concentrations from falling in healthy men. J Nutr 141, 703–707.
38. Hatonen, KA, Virtamo, J, Eriksson, JG, et al. (2011) Coffee does not modify postprandial glycaemic and insulinaemic responses induced by carbohydrates. Eur J Nutr 51, 801–806.
39. Gavrieli, A, Fragopoulou, E, Mantzoros, CS, et al. (2013) Gender and body mass index modify the effect of increasing amounts of caffeinated coffee on postprandial glucose and insulin concentrations; a randomized, controlled, clinical trial. Metabolism 62, 1099–1106.
40. Beaudoin, MS, Robinson, LE & Graham, TE (2011) An oral lipid challenge and acute intake of caffeinated coffee additively decrease glucose tolerance in healthy men. J Nutr 141, 574–581.
41. Moisey, LL, Kacker, S, Bickerton, AC, et al. (2008) Caffeinated coffee consumption impairs blood glucose homeostasis in response to high and low glycemic index meals in healthy men. Am J Clin Nutr 87, 1254–1261.
42. Greenberg, JA, Owen, DR & Geliebter, A (2009) Decaffeinated coffee and glucose metabolism in young men. Diabetes Care 33, 278–280.
43. Battram, DS, Arthur, R, Weekes, A, et al. (2006) The glucose intolerance induced by caffeinated coffee ingestion is less pronounced than that due to alkaloid caffeine in men. J Nutr 136, 1276–1280.
44. Buscemi, S, Verga, S, Batsis, JA, et al. (2010) Acute effects of coffee on endothelial function in healthy subjects. Eur J Clin Nutr 64, 483–489.
45. Robertson, TM, Clifford, MN, Penson, S, et al. (2015) A single serving of caffeinated coffee impairs postprandial glucose metabolism in overweight men. Br J Nutr 114, 1218–1225.
46. Krebs, JD, Parry-Strong, A, Weatherall, M, et al. (2012) A cross-over study of the acute effects of espresso coffee on glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity in people with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Metabolism 61, 1231–1237.
47. Gutch, M, Kumar, S, Razi, SM, et al. (2015) Assessment of insulin sensitivity/resistance. Indian J Endocrinol Metab 19, 160–164.
48. Dube, S, Errazuriz-Cruzat, I, Basu, A, et al. (2015) The forgotten role of glucose effectiveness in the regulation of glucose tolerance. Curr Diab Rep 15, 605.
49. Teekachunhatean, S, Tosri, N, Rojansthien, N, et al. (2013) Pharmacokinetics of caffeine following a single administration of coffee enema versus oral coffee consumption in healthy male subjects. ISRN Pharmacol 2013, 147238.
50. Dotson, CD, Zhang, L, Xu, H, et al. (2008) Bitter taste receptors influence glucose homeostasis. PLoS ONE 3, e3974.