1. Demopoulos, CA, Karantonis, HC & Antonopoulou, S (2003) Platelet activating factor – a molecular link between atherosclerosis theories. Eur J Lipid Sci Technol 105, 705–716.
2. Snyder, F (1995) Platelet-activating factor and its analogs: metabolic pathways and related intracellular processes. Biochim Biophys Acta 1254, 231–249.
3. Harayama, T, Shindou, H, Ogasawara, R, et al. (2008) Identification of a novel noninflammatory biosynthetic pathway of platelet-activating factor. J Biol Chem 283, 11097–11106.
4. Snyder, F (1997) CDP-choline:alkylacetylglycerol cholinephosphotransferase catalyzes the final step in the de novo synthesis of platelet-activating factor. Biochim Biophys Acta 1348, 111–116.
5. Stafforini, DM (2009) Biology of platelet-activating factor acetylhydrolase (PAF-AH, lipoprotein associated phospholipase A2). Cardiovasc Drugs Ther 23, 73–83.
6. Liapikos, TA, Antonopoulou, S, Karabina, SP, et al. (1994) Platelet-activating factor formation during oxidative modification of low-density lipoprotein when PAF-acetylhydrolase has been inactivated. Biochim Biophys Acta 1212, 353–360.
7. Zimmerman, GA, McIntyre, TM, Prescott, SM, et al. (2002) The platelet-activating factor signaling system and its regulators in syndromes of inflammation and thrombosis. Crit Care Med 30, S294–S301.
8. Rollin, S, Lemieux, C, Maliba, R, et al. (2004) VEGF-mediated endothelial P-selectin translocation: role of VEGF receptors and endogenous PAF synthesis. Blood 103, 3789–3797.
9. Tsuruta, R, Cobb, RR, Mastrangelo, M, et al. (1999) Soluble vascular cell adhesion molecule (VCAM)-Fc fusion protein induces leukotriene C4 secretion in platelet-activating factor-stimulated eosinophils. J Leukocyte Biol 65, 71–79.
10. Savage, B, Cattaneo, M & Ruggeri, ZM (2001) Mechanisms of platelet aggregation. Curr Opin Hematol 8, 270–276.
11. Vilahur, G & Badimon, L (2013) Antiplatelet properties of natural products. Vasc Pharmacol 59, 67–75.
12. Nomikos, T, Fragopoulou, E & Antonopoulou, S (2007) Food ingredients and lipid mediators. Curr Nutr Food Sci 3, 255–276.
13. Xanthopoulou, MN, Asimakopoulos, D, Antonopoulou, S, et al. (2014) Effect of Robola and Cabernet Sauvignon extracts on platelet activating factor enzymes activity on U937 cells. Food Chem 165, 50–59.
14. Vlachogianni, IC, Fragopoulou, E, Stamatakis, GM, et al. (2015) Platelet activating factor (PAF) biosynthesis is inhibited by phenolic compounds in U-937 cells under inflammatory conditions. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat 121, 176–183.
15. Antonopoulou, S, Fragopoulou, E, Karantonis, HC, et al. (2006) Effect of traditional Greek Mediterranean meals on platelet aggregation in normal subjects and in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Med Food 9, 356–362.
16. Xanthopoulou, MN, Kalathara, K, Melachroinou, S, et al. (2017) Wine consumption reduced postprandial platelet sensitivity against platelet activating factor in healthy men. Eur J Nutr 56, 1485–1492.
17. Argyrou, C, Vlachogianni, I, Stamatakis, G, et al. (2017) Postprandial effects of wine consumption on platelet activating factor metabolic enzymes. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat 130, 23–29.
18. Nomikos, T, Fragopoulou, E, Antonopoulou, S, et al. (2018) Mediterranean diet and platelet-activating factor: a systematic review. Clin Biochem 60, 1–10.
19. Cha, TW, Kim, M, Kim, M, et al. (2016) Blood pressure-lowering effect of Korean red ginseng associated with decreased circulating Lp-PLA2 activity and lysophosphatidylcholines and increased dihydrobiopterin level in prehypertensive subjects. Hypertens Res 39, 449–456.
20. Fragopoulou, E, Gavriil, L, Argyrou, C, et al. (2018) Suppression of DNA/RNA and protein oxidation by dietary supplement which contains plant extracts and vitamins: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lipids Health Dis 17, 187.
21. Detopoulou, P, Nomikos, T, Fragopoulou, E, et al. (2009) Platelet activating factor (PAF) and activity of its biosynthetic and catabolic enzymes in blood and leukocytes of male patients with newly diagnosed heart failure. Clin Biochem 42, 44–49.
22. Bradford, MM (1976) A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem 72, 248–254.
23. Fragopoulou, E, Iatrou, C & Demopoulos, CA (2005) Characterization of acetyl-CoA: lyso-PAF acetyltransferase of human mesangial cells. Mediators Inflamm 2005, 263–272.
24. Bligh, EG & Dyer, WJ (1959) A rapid method of total lipid extraction and purification. Can J Biochem Physiol 37, 911–917.
25. Zimmerman, GA, McIntyre, TM, Mehra, M, et al. (1990) Endothelial cell-associated platelet-activating factor: a novel mechanism for signaling intercellular adhesion. J Cell Biol 110, 529–540.
26. Zimmerman, GA, McIntyre, TM & Prescott, SM (1996) Adhesion and signaling in vascular cell–cell interactions. J Clin Invest 98, 1699–1702.
27. Thompson, K, Hosking, H, Pederick, W, et al. (2017) The effect of anthocyanin supplementation in modulating platelet function in sedentary population: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over trial. Br J Nutr 118, 368–374.
28. Lee, W, Min, WK, Chun, S, et al. (2005) Long-term effects of green tea ingestion on atherosclerotic biological markers in smokers. Clin Biochem 38, 84–87.
29. Detopoulou, P, Nomikos, T, Fragopoulou, E, et al. (2012) PAF and its metabolic enzymes in healthy volunteers: interrelations and correlations with basic characteristics. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat 97, 43–49.
30. Bossant, MJ, Ninio, E, Delautier, D, et al. (1990) Bioassay of PAF-acether by rabbit platelet aggregation. Methods Enzymol 187, 125–130.
31. Sen, CK & Bagchi, D (2001) Regulation of inducible adhesion molecule expression in human endothelial cells by grape seed proanthocyanidin extract. Mol Cell Biochem 216, 1–7.
32. Zhang, Y, Shi, H, Wang, W, et al. (2011) Antithrombotic effect of grape seed proanthocyanidins extract in a rat model of deep vein thrombosis. J Cardiovasc Surg 53, 743–753.
33. Gliemann, L, Schmidt, JF, Olesen, J, et al. (2013) Resveratrol blunts the positive effects of exercise training on cardiovascular health in aged men. J Physiol 591, 5047–5059.
34. van Dijk, SC, Enneman, AW, Swart, KM, et al. (2016) Effect of vitamin B12 and folic acid supplementation on biomarkers of endothelial function and inflammation among elderly individuals with hyperhomocysteinemia. Vasc Med 21, 91–98.
35. Woollard, KJ, Rayment, SJ, Bevan, R, et al. (2006) Alpha-tocopherol supplementation does not affect monocyte endothelial adhesion or C-reactive protein levels but reduces soluble vascular adhesion molecule-1 in the plasma of healthy subjects. Redox Rep 11, 214–222.
36. Koh, KK, Blum, A, Hathaway, L, et al. (1999) Vascular effects of estrogen and vitamin E therapies in postmenopausal women. Circulation 100, 1851–1857.
37. Yanoshita, R, Chang, HW, Son, KH, et al. (1996) Inhibition of lysoPAF acetyltransferase activity by flavonoids. Inflamm Res 45, 546–549.
38. Balestrieri, ML, Castaldo, D, Balestrieri, C, et al. (2003) Modulation by flavonoids of PAF and related phospholipids in endothelial cells during oxidative stress. J Lipid Res 44, 380–387.
39. Zeng, L, Yan, J, Luo, L, et al. (2015) Effects of Pu-erh tea aqueous extract (PTAE) on blood lipid metabolism enzymes. Food Funct 6, 2008–2016.
40. Hermans, N, Van der Auwera, A, Breynaert, A, et al. (2017) A red yeast rice-olive extract supplement reduces biomarkers of oxidative stress, OxLDL and Lp-PLA2, in subjects with metabolic syndrome: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Trials 18, 302.
41. Borriello, A, Cucciolla, V, Della Ragione, F, et al. (2010) Dietary polyphenols: focus on resveratrol, a promising agent in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases and control of glucose homeostasis. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 20, 618–625.
42. Vitseva, O, Varghese, S, Chakrabarti, S, et al. (2005) Grape seed and skin extracts inhibit platelet function and release of reactive oxygen intermediates. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 46, 445–451.
43. Fragopoulou, E, Nomikos, T, Antonopoulou, S, et al. (2000) Separation of biologically active lipids from red wine. J Agric Food Chem 48, 1234–1238.
44. Pace-Asciak, CR, Rounova, O, Hahn, SE, et al. (1996) Wines and grape juices as modulators of platelet aggregation in healthy human subjects. Clin Chim Acta 246, 163–182.
45. Ras, RT, Zock, PL, Zebregs, YE, et al. (2013) Effect of polyphenol-rich grape seed extract on ambulatory blood pressure in subjects with pre- and stage I hypertension. Br J Nutr 110, 2234–2241.
46. Velderrain-Rodríguez, GR, Palafox-Carlos, H, Wall-Medrano, A, et al. (2014) Phenolic compounds: their journey after intake. Food Funct 5, 189–197.
47. Steiner, M (1991) Influence of vitamin E on platelet function in humans. J Am Coll Nutr 10, 466–473.
48. Salonen, JT, Salonen, R, Seppanen, K, et al. (1991) Effects of antioxidant supplementation on platelet function: a randomized pair-matched, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial in men with low antioxidant status. Am J Clin Nutr 53, 1222–1229.