- ISSN: 2055-7973 (Print), 2055-7981 (Online)
- Editor: Dr Katy Gibbons University of Portsmouth, UK
- Editorial board
Latest research articles
- Discovering a ‘new’ Tudor ballad by John Heywood
- 24 May 2017,
- Read Jane Flynn’s full article published in the journal British Catholic History. A few years ago, I did an internet search involving the name ‘John Heywood’, the Tudor court entertainer, poet, and musician. One of the hits was from the catalogue of manuscripts of the Durham Cathedral Library, in a description of a book of accounts dating from 1561–75. It mentioned that the account book contains a 38-stanza poem that ‘begins “When all that is to was ys brought / As all that hath byn is” and ends “Maye rest in rest aye restyngly / Amen quoth John Heywood” [John Heywood ?1497-?1580]’, with the name ‘Thomas Good at the end’. I was intrigued: was the poem by Good or Heywood?…...
- Mobile armed mobs in deadly riots
- 16 April 2019,
- Experts on ethnic riots agree that the ethnic composition of localities affects their susceptibility to violence. They are however divided on which are more...
- ‘I had enough last war’: Remembering the First World War during the Second World War
- 03 April 2019,
- My article for the Historical Journal examines how the memory of the First World War shaped morale at the start of the Second World War.