In the spring of 1941, Dr. W. T. Edmundson, a medical doctor of Newberg, investigating sites along the Yamhill River, located mounds of the same type as those of the Calapuya. With some assistance from Mr. Mark Wald, of Portland, myself, and others, he has now excavated two of these “mound” sites. The objects recovered from the Yamhill River sites exhibit many differences from those of the Calapuya River Mounds. At the period of Caucasian entry the Yamhill Indians spoke a Calapuyan dialect that was different from that of the Indians in the area of the Calapuya River to the south, and were reputed to depend more upon hunting and fishing than the Calapuya proper. The relatively large number of bone and antler objects, the relative absence of large stone work, mortars and pestles in the local collections from the Yamhill area, and numerous fish vertebrae (not found in the Calapuya sites) all indicate the possibility of an archaeological perspective for early historic cultural differences between the Calapuya and Yamhill bands.