During the early fall of 1941, excavations were made by the National Park Service at the Lamar site, Bibb County, Georgia, on the ground of the proposed south section of the levee which will surround the site. The area was formerly forested and is level, poorly drained, and subject to frequent flooding by the Ocmulgee River. Elevation varies little in the river valley; in the section trenched, it ranges between 276.4 feet and 278.9 feet. The occupation area of the Lamar site lies on slightly higher ground with a maximum height of 282 feet (exclusive of the mounds). The surface soil of the bottom land, including the Lamar village site, is Congaree Silty Clay Loam, a recent alluvial deposit of the Ocmulgee River.